The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sure, but MLS N&A isn't the place to act on those feelings. I mean, we still tell you guys in San Jose to relax when you make a run at AEG/Lalas over the relocation of the ClashQuakes to Houston.

Yeah, it sucked. Let it go, or take it to your forum.

song219, oknazevad, JasonMa and 4 others repped this.
  2. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I don’t want to be banned for simply refuting delusional talking points I will refrain from replying in this forum, except to say you are wrong, on every point.

If you really want to debate this privately I am wide open to taking this to pm.

If you want to debate publicly you can go to the PSV hate thread in the Crew forums where I can answer without fear of the mods.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough in the main. Though narrow.

First off, I doubt other cities who are trying to land MLS expansion teams through the league approved procedure feel like they won. Particularly San Antonio.

Secondly, I would be a bit careful wandering around making declarations telling other people how they should feel about stuff. Expect a little bark back.

I get that this is N&A and all. But if Crew fans are just supposed to 'let it go' with respect to the league & owner trying to backstab them, then please tell me why some mods and Austin fans cannot tolerate factual discussion about what happened & vegetable jokes.

crew2112, AndyMead and stanger repped this.
  4. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lastly, so are we allowed to criticize ANY owner?

Can no one save Revs fans critizice Kraft?

Crew fans certainly had at the Hunts, particularly Clark.

I am all for civility and such. But at some point, grow a pair. Facts are facts and should never be a forbidden topic, if done appropriately.

I mean, NEWS and ANALYSIS. Yes?

tomásbernal, don gagliardi and stanger repped this.
  5. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    You confuse debate with the intolerance of factual discussion.

For a second, lets remember how this started, @stanger gave an opinion that PSV will be unsuccessful in building a stadium, to which i disagreed. Precourt is farther along on his stadium plans than miami, nashville, and Columbus. THAT is factual. We have a master plans with projected timeline, a signed lease agreement and site plan submitted to city planning.

Then this somehow spiralled into a completely different discussion about my opinion and how its wrong.

TheesUhlmann repped this.
  6. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    I agree. I've provided plenty of fact based discussion in this thread.
    @stanger came in here to blindly refute and argue with me. You and I were actually having decent interactions before this.

TheesUhlmann repped this.
  7. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    He is not further along than Nashville...and that is fact. Nashville is already constructing new fairgrounds buildings that are replacing the ones that will be torn down soon for the stadium.
    All city county level issues have been passed.

Not that I am trying to defend stanger. His tactfullness is like a wolf let loose in a chicken factory.

TheesUhlmann and wingman2468 repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FFS.. Why is this thread that is about the construction of new MLS stadiums devolving into another pissing match over Columbus/Austin? The Crew have been saved, Austin has been announced as team #27. It’s time to move on folks.

We certainly aten’t asking everyone to become Austin fans, or to like their owner, but this non-stop bickering that erupts everytime Austin is mentioned is to stop.

Thanks!

oknazevad, Burr, JasonMa and 7 others repped this.
  9. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin is the new Frau Blucher...

oknazevad, Revolusean, Burr and 6 others repped this.
  10. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Or Tom Flanagan or Oliver Tse.

VioletCrown, JasonMa and Bluecat82 repped this.
  11. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the kids playing along at home:

12. TheesUhlmann

TheesUhlmann Red Card

Sep 16, 2018
    It's @stanger. Ban him where necessary and watch civil discussion flourish.

stanger repped this.
  13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stanger isn’t the only one sidetracking the discussion in this thread....

JasonMa and stanger repped this.
  14. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naturally... but even Frau Blucher effect has it's limits.

Bluecat82 repped this.
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've moved past hate to apathy.. KSE is what it is, doesn't mean the Rapids can't still be successful.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  16. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    No. Just Arsenal.

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    It kind of does mean a low spending team won't be successful. Maybe you luck into the best coach and GM in the league or something and they find a string of uncut gems, but that isn't really sustainable.

18. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #1943 Gamecock14, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    Yeah, but these owners tend not to care.

I would put an asterisk next to Robert Kraft. Part of the revs problem is that Kraft seems to think the Patriot way is the reason for his success and he has tried to implement some of those "strategies" to the Revs, ignoring the entire lack of stadium aspect. The entire Brady/Belichek era is kind of due to the fact that the AFC east has been and still is a Dumpster Fire for the past 20 years. Outside of two Rex Ryan Jets years, that division has been awful. The pats seem to understand that Dec-Superbowl is all that matters and that division basically makes sure that the Pats don't have to worry about not making the playoffs. It's clear that the Revs are team B, but i think there is a lot more than just stadium/training stuff. (I am also probably wrong and am ready to be torn apart by Revs fans.)

On a somewhat related note...I think there should be a global law against anyone who made money working/owning a hedge fund or as a "venture capatalist" from ever owning a professional sports team in the United States. (I know of some exceptions)

19. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and how about anyone who's skin is different than mine? Oh, and people of certain religions obviously. Gotta check their political donations first though.
    If they have the right skin color, religion and political ideology then they can buy a sports team.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no reason the Rapids can't be successful with the money KSE is putting into the team right now. They just hired a coach and GM who weren't ready to be at MLS level last year. People think KSE is cheap, but when you look at the actual spend on the team, even with Howard's contract, the Rapids are middle of the league in salaries. They just spent the salaries on players that aren't MLS level.

This offseason seems to show that at least the GM learned from his mistakes last year. We'll see if the coach did.

And by successful I mean "Makes the playoffs with enough quality to get hot and go on a run" not "be in contention for the Shield every year". Not that I wouldn't like that, but that's not what I expect from the Rapids. I think the Shield is moving more and more into the area of "haves" and "have nots" need not apply. But that doesn't prevent a "have not" from being good enough to win MLS Cup.

Stupid_American, edcrocker and Bluecat82 repped this.
  21. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry, but choosing to be a venture capitalist isn't a protected category as are race, religion, or creed.

22. wingman2468

wingman2468 Member

Austin FC
    United States
    May 25, 2018
    Tom Brady is the worst. dashing peoples hopes with only two minutes left time and time again. He must be stopped.

That being said, Do you think the post-Brady era will show a change in spending from kraft towards the Revs? ?

23. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though with the new PO rules it just got a lot harder.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PO rules?

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playoff rules.

No more two legged ties.

If, as you say (correctly, methinks), that the race for the Shield is increasingly for the Haves of the league (ATL, SEA, TFC, LAG, + NYRB, NYCFC, Portland), then those teams host most/all of the PO games.

The mid-market model of making the POs & then getting hot & winning the thing is much harder to do without a home PO game.

JasonMa repped this.