The MLS Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by fairfax4dc, May 20, 2016.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • Over the line personal attack.
    Why don't you stop telling other people how they should feel.

Perhaps you could play sit & spin on my finger? Try enjoying that.

NashSC repped this.
  2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Again, grow up. Everything worked out fine in the end in Columbus. It's just fatiguing having random Crew fans come in and start dredging up the same old shit.

3. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fratboi mcDaddybucks face. Austin hipsters are douches. Yada yada

Keep it in the Crew forums Crewligans. We get it. Your entitled to be bitter. Just leave us all alone and let us talk about things like adults.

CMeszt, AndyMead, El Pelón and 3 others repped this.
  4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When has that ever happened on BigSoccer?

5. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A boy can dream!

The Irish Rover, AndyMead and JasonMa repped this.
  6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do t bring it up outside the Crew forum much anymore except when erroneous facts are being pushed.

the cup repped this.
  7. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The antipathy between Crew fans and Garber predates Precourt.

Austin, Cincinnati, and Columbus have now broken ground for stadia scheduled to open in 2021. Miami has their temporary home under construction. Has Nashville even set a date for their groundbreaking? Are they still saying they'll open in 2021?

8. NashSC

NashSC Member+

Nashville SC
    United States
    Jan 3, 2018
    Not that I know of.
    No, they are saying 2022 and have been for a while. Playing in Titans stadium for at least 2 years.

9. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inter Miami stadium updates, via the Futbol Miami TV YouTube channel.

10. SierraSpartan

SierraSpartan Member+

Jan 25, 2007
    Placer County, CA
    Club:
    Sacramento Republic FC
    Well, I hope Inter Fort Lauderdale likes their new temporary digs, because Arsenic Park's in major trouble...

athletics68 repped this.
  11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is over the line. Don't go there again.

12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From his Interview in The Athletic:

BA: First of all, I didn’t spend any time studying the New England Revolution in my life. I was a little bit familiar with them at one point when they had a job search the last time (after the 2017 season, when Arena spoke with the club about the job), but I hadn’t really looked at anything inside. But what you say is accurate. They were lagging in a lot of things. I think they’re well aware of that, there are moves being made to kind of catch up with the Joneses, so to speak. We’re going to have a first-class training facility. I think we are positioning ourselves to bring in better players. We have two designated players now who are as good as any designated players in the league, that’s a real plus. And then the last piece in terms of organizationally is to build a stadium, which they’re working real hard at getting done.

edcrocker and USSoccerNova repped this.
  13. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Amazing how this statement always seems to come out from New England near the end of the season when it's time to start selling season tickets for the next year.

14. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    Anyone have an opinion on which of the three will be the best? I'd be interested in some compare and contrast on design, site, location, etc.

15. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And don’t forget Sac which should be under construction shortly... presuming Monday is the long expected MLS announcement.

TrueCrew repped this.
  16. TheRealBilbo

TheRealBilbo Member+

Apr 5, 2016
    Sure. They will all have soccer games and decent beer. So, from that standpoint, they will all be top notch.

That said, from the looks of things, Cincinnati and Columbus seem top two, with different plus and minuses. It sounds like Columbus will have a little better in-stadium experience. Cincinnati has more in the surrounding neighborhoods, you'll walk between 1/4 mile and 1 mile from the stadium to OTR, downtown, and the banks (the area between Paul Brown Stadium and the Reds ball park), with myriad options. In Columbus, that type of stuff is a little further away. You'd probably be walking about twice as far as you will in Cincinnati for similar options.

From the sounds of things, the Austin in-stadium experience would be in line with Cincinnati, but will has the least attractive surroundings. There looks to be little within a mile or so of the stadium.

17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously, man, I have no bowel-movements left to give. All I was saying is that a refurbished Lockhart is not the long-term plan for Miami. Yes, it will probably be several years before they move out, but you're acting like I'm some neck-bearded hipster from Austin (but not originally), taunting you about almost stealing your team while sipping a latte while taking a break from his job repairing vintage bicycles.

And yeah, the "Ballpark" in Arlington opened the year we hosted a World Cup and it's already "obsolete" so no surprise that a lot of teams will go through stadiums before they are even paid off.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You said more than that. You said it was "supposedly" going to house the USL team.

There has been discussion about some of the stadium being modular, and if that portion would be removed once it is for the USL only. That is what I thought you were talking about with the temporary/supposedly comment. Which was a pretty decent (if ultimately inaccurate) inference given the tone of your comment.

I do not see anything bowel worthy in my response.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    harrylee773 repped this.
  20. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Bruce we trust!

If the Revs have a winning streak of MLS Cups under their current manager it shall be named "The Bruce Arena".

NashSC repped this.
  21. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to prolong the agony here but a couple things re: Garber v. Columbus:

Of course it's true that teams sometimes relocate. Sad fact. But when the Raiders decided to move to Las Vegas, Roger Goodell didn't hit the hustings telling all and sundry what a crap sports town Oakland is. When the Browns moved to Baltimore, Paul Tagiliabue didn't rush out to do a bunch of interviews about the lousy "business metrics" in Cleveland. San Diego to LA, LA to St Louis, same deal.

But in this case, Garber put himself up as the prime cheerleader. Maybe it's because Precourt is, among other things, utterly terrible in interviews. On the rare occasion when reporters corner him he manages to mutter a few inane things before a rep from his PR firm grabs his arm and drags him away. It's almost comical.

Seriously, the man is an idiot.

The reason why Don chose to do this doesn't really matter. Bottom line, it wasn't Columbus fans who created the anger (although as noted, there is some history). Garber did that himself. Instead of badmouthing Columbus to every reporter he came across, he could have laid it at Precourt's feet, And in fact it would have been the smart thing to do.

Instead, he willingly- even eagerly, it seemed - made this a fight between Columbus and Garber himself. He's the one who made it personal.

And that's not something that any fan base anywhere would readily forgive and forget.

Kejsare, MLSinSTL, stanger and 4 others repped this.
  22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, my father was a young man when his Brooklyn Dodgers moved west and it seems like a similar level of anger (although worse, because the team actually did move). When Walter O'Malley died, literally everyone in Brooklyn was like "Well, we're not supposed to speak ill of the dead, but I'm glad that bastard died and I hope it was painful and miserable.He's gonna spend the rest of eternity with the devil, but I still hate his guts..."

Sports fandom is personal. They want us to invest emotionally in the team, but have no qualms about moving if somehow the (usually publicly funded) stadium is "obsolete" or the "business metrics" are shit (mainly because the people running the business are idiots). Unfortunately, as fans, there isn't much we can do. The Save the Crew movement was remarkable, because in most cases it doesn't work

23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Modell law deserves a lot of credit for stopping the move in its tracks.

But the antipathy toward Garber goes way back before the threatened move. He called us the Columbus Screw on several occasions, including when handing us MLS cup at the ceremony in 2008. The MLS favortism toward bigger markets has always been resented. Back in the days when Andrulis was coach, the team "discovered" a USMNT player, agreed to terms with him, then Garber vetoed the signing. This was before the allocation list.

TrueCrew, MLSinSTL and athletics68 repped this.
  24. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hahahaha, what?

25. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was that the time both Columbus and DC United put in a claim for Andy Williams? (Wait, he's Jamaican, so that couldn't be it) The claims came in "within 15 minutes" of each other (but they never said which one came in first. Such a dilemma, they needed the wisdom of Solomon to figure that one out... The criteria they used to decide who got him was the "team tat was not the current MLS Champion."

As for the "Columbus Screw" are you sure he wasn't just slurring his words because he was shitfaced?