The Michael Bradley thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ttrevett, Jun 11, 2015.

1. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2801 EruditeHobo, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018

Really? How about, have the fullbacks learn how to pass and play positional defense? I was wondering why Gregory VdW was in the MLS, but if he's made passing like that a regular part of his game I shall wonder no more. Horrendous fullback play by both of them, this is schoolboy shit.

And sure, Bradley doesn't have the same legs anymore, a more athletic/younger dude would catch up to this play and harass the ball carrier. But to go further than that and actually blame this goal on him is ludicrous... which, maybe I misread you and you weren't doing?

But yeah. This is a horrible pass, a good counter, and terrible fullback positioning. Arguably the keeper sucks too, but it does deflect and it was a pretty good strike to begin with.

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah, ok. I guess there is quite a few things one could say about that play.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  3. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen, is that you? Wie geht's? Hast du nichts zu tun?

4. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voting is not ranking.

6. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    “Sure, I would love to take part in your ridiculous click bait poll that feeds on negativity. I figure it will help you look like real journalists and it will help our league look like it has enough viewership to support crappy journalism. BTW, is this anonymous? It is, great! Now I can sound like a whiny little jealous 5 year old!” Go MLS!

Three and Three, majspike and puttputtfc repped this.
  7. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an annual poll of MLS players about MLS players.

8. USA-Zebuel

USA-Zebuel Member+

Mar 26, 2013
    Club:
    Colón de Santa Fe
    Anual eh, so ESPN had made a tradition out of a horrible idea. That makes it less lame...?

WrmBrnr repped this.
  9. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I'd actually be OK with Bradley back on the field if we could get a different Bradley than what we saw in the last cycle. If he would work hard and play a roll, he could be useful. But, what would not be useful to me is Bradley camping in the center of the park, rushing to wherever the ball is and demanding touches at the expense of guys we need to step into those positions. If he only wants to be on the field in his regular role and dominating the ball, I think he needs to be cast aside. If he can be convinced to play a more supporting role moving forward, things could work out OK. However, I think that's a very big IF with any player. Once you get used to taking charge out there, it's really hard to step back and play a lesser role. No idea of Bradley would be willing or capable of doing so.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sure. But it tells us nothing.

Could Michael Bradley be overpaid and overrated? Maybe.

Did Toronto FC not just win a treble, and are playing in the semifinals of the CCL, with Bradley serving a leading role? Yes. So obviously................he, Altidore, and Giovinco are worth every penny.

There is one truism. In order to considered over-rated by some, one must be highly rated by others.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  11. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #2811 Gamecock14, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    The players on the list are the ones getting paid big money. You don't see the players who are human traffic cones.

I mean Nikolic got 3% of the vote. He scored 24 goals. I think he is somewhat limited because he depends a lot on the midfield. But even with a crappy midfield, he would score 10+ goals.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I liked this extract:

Many of the other players named in the overrated poll also featured in the Americans' defeat to Trinidad and Tobago in October that sealed their World Cup fate. Toronto striker Jozy Altidore was named by 7 percent, D.C. United's Paul Arriola received 6 percent of the vote, LAFC's Benny Feilhaber and Colorado's Tim Howard got 4 percent, and Atlanta's Darlington Nagbe got 3 percent.

Interesting that Bruce Arena chose and played so many of the over-rated.

13. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Michael Bradley did this to himself.

He could have told his father, "dad, truth is, I'm not really playing for Aston Villa right now and Jones, Holden, and even Edu are playing and doing well in the center for their clubs. If you play me 90 minutes in the center and place Jones or Holden outside, its going to be pretty obvious whats going on here. Nepotism theories will be the talk of the town. I refuse to be the starter until I am a starter again with Aston Villa, this is what is fair for the team. This the US national team, not Bradley FC".

14. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    A lot like what I told my boss right before I turned down that big raise.

50/50 Ball, russ, yurch10 and 1 other person repped this.
  15. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least refer to a play in which Bradley is ACTUALLY at fault before you spout your tired nonsense... the play that you've quoted features a horrible ball by a fullback, a good break by the opponents, bad positional play by the OTHER fullback, a cruel deflection on the shot, and a keeper unable to save at his near post.

Marko72 and deuteronomy repped this.
  16. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I thought that Bradley had a good game against Club America in the 1st leg of the CCL. However, I see his time with the USMNT team coming toward an end. Never the fastest guy, he did enough otherwise to make him an important focal point in the MF. Now, his loss of speed is so obvious that he becomes a liability, esp. defensively. And this from a fan who has respected his game when others were quick to criticize him. He still has a terrific soccer IQ, but his loss of speed and quickness are just too drastic for the int'l level.

Borrachin and TOAzer repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Fast guys last longer than slow guys, as a general rule, because when fast guys lose it they come OK speed, and when slow guys lose it they become retirement home.

Bill James on baseball 30 years ago, but it holds true in every sport. Unless size is an overwhelming attribute, as in Zlatan at center forward or an NBA center.

18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Bradley's fault.

[​IMG]

19. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I'll stick with the above. However, his play throughout the CCL highlights why his understanding of the game is still an important ingredient in Toronto FC's success. Looking back now, a more tactically sophisticated coach than any of those who coached him on the USMNT would have made better use of his skills.

20. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MB thrives in his TFC role as does Jozy. It makes it clear that poor coaching was not putting the talent in the best position to succeed.

I said it before the last round, USMNT was well set up to play as a TFC rip-off. For the last game I would have

BW (JA) CP

Benny MB DAX

Sueno Ream Besler Cameron Yedlin

Zinkoff repped this.
  21. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Was the coaching's fault again? We go through this endless cycle. He's out of position, he's not a 10, he's not a 6, he's not an 8, bad tactics, bad partners who don't support him capable, he's not responsible for attacking, he's not responsible for goals scored against, he cycles possession (sideways and backwards only), he's not fast enough anymore to be the sole DM.

How about the fact we finished 5th with the 2nd best group of players in the region. Doesn't matter who coached, our players have better pedigrees, better pay, better talent, by any measure, than the teams that beat them outside of Mexico. That falls on everyone sure, but to the largest extent, MB. Guys a bozo and a few of us knew he was done years ago. Too bad nobody listened.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  22. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL why?

Anyone that looks at this failure to qualify and is saying "Bradley deserves the most blame"... I mean, I can't even be sure you were even paying attention.

Unsubscribe. Get me out of this shitshow.

23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    If you can’t see that (1) the team was built around MB, (2) he played more than any other player in the Pool (3) he wasn’t one of the best players in CONCACAF (although certainly not the worst) (4) was the captain of a team that woefully underperformed and showed an unprecedented (and clearly erroneous) entitlement instead of our usual grit/urgency.

These are all valid reason while MB is deserving of blame, although clearly behind the abysmal coaching all throughout the Hex

24. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused::confused::confused:

superdave repped this.
  25. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    I wish people would just be honest. MB is the trophy white guy. So no matter the performance white guys will defend him. Is this racist ? Ok.

He plays OK in a 5 man midfield where a tracker and an attacker play around him. They ball win for him and they attack for him. In return he's a pressure release and emergency defensive cut out a sometimes secondary assist and an occasional goal.

You play him as a DM as both he and BA wanted and you get an entire cylce dedicated to MB at DM proving he's not good enough to qualify with the US. Point blank. Don't over think it.

If you have to play him in a 4 man mid then he has to be a linking 8. Period. Don't over think it.

Anytime he is a 6 in any way shape or form the US gives up up goals against. Again. Don't over think it. He is FACTUALLY the worst captain in US history for those who care about facts and think they aren't touting him because he looks like the guy they see in the mirror or wish they did at any rate.

Yeah that's for you Morroco. The guy has been pants as a DM for the US. Don't wishy washy it. In fact treat it like you would a Jermaine Jones article.

yurch10 repped this.