The "Messi: the best player in the world. Is it even up for discussion?" thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Messi was a monster in the CL KO rounds this year though. That argument can't be used against him.

celito repped this.
  2. Spinp

Spinp Member

May 8, 2019
    Messi has carried this entire Barca team for two seasons now, once you come up against top quality opponents you need others to step up too, that hasn't happened for a long while, well other than Ter Stegan, thought he was brilliant in the first leg.

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    @celito isn’t saying Messi wasn’t a monster, or whatever. He’s simply saying the only important games are not confined to just UCL KO ties.
    La Liga has plenty of important fixtures as does the UCL group stage and (yes) the Copa del Rey.
    As one former NFL coach once said, “Tell me it’s not an important game BEFORE kickoff.”
    Messi has come through in numerous important matches.

condor11 and Danko repped this.
  4. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    He comes through in most of the important matches. Problem for Messi is that the last few years the narrative is never on his side when he loses. If you look around the net, he's a meme and gets the most blame for our loss among other teams' fans.

5. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Haters gonna hate ‘irregardless’.

condor11 repped this.
  6. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Messi is rated as best player of semi final( 2 legs) by whoscored:thumbsup:.
    but its two days since that disaster,still no word from him. As a captain and super ace,his words are valueable

7. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Messi may lose the European Golden Shoe to Mbappe. Of course it's not important because both PSG and Barca have meaningless league matches left but it could factor into the Ballon D'Or race and hurt Messi's chances.

8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    I say this every year...but cant anyone pinpoint the year individual awards became so important?

celito repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Since Ronaldo cried and said he wasn't going to the ceremony if he didn't win.

It certainly became a bigger thing with Messi and Ronaldo winning year after year. Basically another point of discussion on who's better.

10. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Roughly March/April 2007

evil_allan, ShortyMac and condor11 repped this.
  11. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi won European golden shoe and pichichi last season so I dont think it matter for FIFA even he win it. This time Messi is already guarenteed to be League and CL top scorer.

Everyone's using quardruple standard when rating Messi's performance. Player like Salah or Modric might only need to do a quarter what Messi does to win individual award. That's the truth that everyone knows.

Jpows, unclesox and ShortyMac repped this.
  12. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://en.as.com/en/2019/04/30/football/1556639114_762789.html

Leo Messi to be given prestigious Catalan award

Lionel Messi, Barcelona's star forward, is to be awarded one Catalonia's highest distinctions, the Creu de Sant Jordi (Cross of St. George in English).

The award was created in 1981 by the Catalan government to recognise individuals who have successfully contributed to the identity of the region.

Rattlehead repped this.
  13. ShortyMac

ShortyMac Member+

Barcelona
    Apr 10, 2011
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Jpows, Rattlehead and Bada Bing repped this.
  14. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
  15. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Taking nt into account 8th season and 5th in a row over 50 goals.

57 10-11
    82 11-12
    69 12-13
    62 14-15
    50 15-16
    57 16-17
    52 17-18
    50 18-19

ShortyMac, afar and puyol repped this.
  16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Everytime Messi win CL people goes "best player ever"

Everytime he doesnt win , he's not scoring in big games lol

So I guess for haters , only his latest season performance that really counts.

afar repped this.
  17. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's just media's way of selling other players and football in general to the sheeps.

Rattlehead repped this.
  18. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Career official goals at senior level.

757 Pele
    734 Romario
    721 Gerd Müller
    706 Puskas
    686 Cronaldo
    678 Messi

Next season should see push in top 5.

afar repped this.
  19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How many years do you guys think Messi has in the tank before he retires or leaves the club??

20. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think this was probably his best season, so I can't see him losing the edge anytime soon. If he keeps out of nt-friendlies and pointless games, to forties perhaps?

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hopefully he does play at this level at least for the next 5 years. These days athletes seems to have much better longetivity, perhaps modern diet and training regime played big role, I dont know. Even in mma, boxing and tennis, many of them still at top level throughout their 30's, back in the day, 32-33 was considered old and past prime.

afar and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  22. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That depends, football is nowadays physically more demanding I think which evens it out, and there seems to be more and more games added every season to the calendar. Gordie Howe played 51 years old in NHL and I don't see anyone topping that anytime soon. If you rely on your skill you could play pretty old, but physically, I don't know. Federer too is a skill player, so he can stay on top later in life than physical players.

23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Mayweather and Pacman are still dominating younger guys in their late 30's and early 40;s and boxing is very phsyical sport. Ok that might be only two people as example but it proof its possible. I think Zanetti won treble with Inter at almost 37. Michael Jordan didnt even start to win championship until almost 30, yet he managed to win 6.

So many UFC fighters becoming champ and still very competitive in their mid 30's . If you look back in the day, top athletes started to declined physically in their early 30's .

Messi is still having similar statistic as he does in past 10 years despite having to play with many new teammates every few years thus I dont think he'd suddenly drop significantly within 1-2 seasons. Even yesterday he's still scoring his typical goals.

24. afar

afar Member+

Apr 26, 2007
    Hey Bada Bing, I have always read the Czech, Josef Bican, being the top goal scorer ever with something like 805 goals.

Are those not official goals?

25. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hmm, Foreman was a champion at 45. I would need to see statistical correlation before agreeing that players nowadays have better longevity on average.

Messi still is in good position though as he's a skill player before physical one, and that's something that you don't usually lose, but can maintain, and even learn to be better, like in freekicks lately.