The man wanted in an Orange suit, the search for our next soccer saviour

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by BaritoPutra, Apr 16, 2017.

1. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    I agree but the above factors, but we simply do not have all of those qualities like Germany, Spain or France. I think our players' qualities better fit with 5-3-2/4-2-3-1 rather than 4-3-3. If the new coach can do what we hope for, great, but I just don't see it right now.

2. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  3. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    :ROFLMAO: :x3: is that what Van Breukelen called "busy" looking for a replacement? Sounds like a lazy and easy-way-out choice to me. Advocaat advised to Blind, so I think chances are we're going to see status quo from playing style and result perspective if he is indeed selected. In another article, I read that Huub Stevens is also being considered. Would take him 9 out 10 (vs. Advocaat or Ten Cate). Multiple winners, including UEFA Cup - although none occurred recently.

Orange14 repped this.
  4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^^ I wonder why Huub Stevens was never considered. I watched several of his club teams play and he was always level headed

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  6. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Apparently the nightmare will continue. None of these choices seems relevant to relaunch the national team. We must finish with the old school. The ideal would have been a foreign coach or a young coach. We must dust off our football and put an end to outdated tactics. Why not Mark Van Bommel? I read some of his interviews and he developed sound analyzes of our shortcomings.

7. He just announced he's going to coach the PSV U19 team and said he wants to coach such a team first before taking on a first team as he has no experience with the resposibility for a team as a coach on his own. Sounds sensible.

Orange14 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Because you need someone with lots of experience. Mark doesnt have any.
    You're taking a huge gamble if you appoint MvB

9. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Is he a Van Marwijk disciple? ... haven't heard/read much about Van Bommel, only that BVM took him under his wing, and as I remember him as a player I'd expect a no nonsense manager. Still in that mould there should be better options, maybe even Van Marwijk if S.Arabia didn't include a big release clause ... or better yet try to lure LVG back.

The Belgian FA had talks with LVG ... who kept his promise to his wife and declined ... he left the door open for a future application though. Other big names were bandied about ... some declined, some will have only been baseless rumours ... agreements were reached with R.Rangnick (RB Leipzig), R.Garcia (Marseille) and D.Advocaat (Fenerbahce) ... Holland should be in/advanced past this phase with Ten Cate and Advocaat (doubting there's time to start negotiations with new candidates before May) ... in the end the Belgian FA preferred a younger manager ... who's more in touch with this generation of players.

These are the highest paid NT managers ... by no means a thrilling list

England......Southgate
    Italy............Ventura
    Turkey........Terim
    Germany....Löw
    Spain..........Lopetegui
    France........Deschamps
    Russia.........Cherchesov
    Holland......Blind Ten Cate or Advocaat

Whoever your FA chooses he won't be the worst of this sorry bunch ... still in Brazil LVG had a big impact (with a less experienced squad than you have now) ... Conte, in charge of a weakened Italy, was by far the best manager at the Euros ... a manager that's a good fit can be rewarding, especially at a time that the managerial opposition is quite weak ... for the current Holland squad to overperform in Russia LVG is probably the best choice ... both Ten Cate and Advocaat are underwhelming options ... haven't heard of anybody who's (still) up for the job that would be nearly as good as LVG.

PS just saw this, reportedly Advocaat could be in the lead and according to insiders LVG prefers Ten Cate.

https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/van-breukelen-het-waren-respectvolle-gesprekken

10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The problem is most managers with half a brain will avoid coaching Holland right now, because we're stuck in an "overgangsperiode" (in English that means being in between generations or AKA you're stuck with a shitty generation like 1982/1986)

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Why are we even talking about potential managers who are not up to the job? Ten Cate's best period was when he was Rijkaard's assistant. He did little when he moved over to Ajax and I don't think his time in the Greek league was all that successful. Since 2010 he's just been wandering around to a number of different leagues.

Advocaat has already had a chance (Paul Bosvelt:eek:).

Maybe there is no manager in the world who can get this current group to play well enough to qualify.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What about the Robben sub??
    As soon as he did that the whole bar I was in let go a huge WTF??!!!!

richsavare repped this.
  13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^^Bosvelt was the sub for Robben!!!

14. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    Me too. Let's see: the fall out with Gullit which is one of the important factors screwing up our chance in 94, the infamous Robben sub in 04, the despicable jumping off the NT ship assistant role for Turkey (put your personal interest and ego out of the door, do it for your country for god sake). KNVB (or Van Breukelen) is clueless. Fools me once, shame on you. Fools me twice, shame on me. Fools me three times, he will fool all of us. I hope Ten Cate will get it, please.

richsavare and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  15. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You disappoint me.

Van Marwijk is his father-in-law.

Orange14 repped this.
  16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Right. I thought you meant including Bosvelt on the team to begin with, which was in itself laughable. Never mind the most horrible sub in Euro history

richsavare repped this.
  17. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    https://www.vi.nl/nieuws/ten-cate-was-bondscoach-toen-weer-niet-en-houdt-de-eer-aan-zichzelf

https://www.vi.nl/audio/wil-advocaat-nog-wel-in-dit-wespennest-stappen

Ten Cate reportedly was awarded the job on Monday but KNVB bigwigs went back on the decision and pressured V.Breukelen into offering the job to Advocaat instead. Ten Cate has said that he ended negotiations. Dick is now the last man standing but does he still want the job? He better demands a watertight contract to put an end to the KNVB's funny business.

18. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Don't want Advocaat, give it so some random dude since all this is a joke anyway !

19. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The KNVB is at the root of a lot of problems in Dutch football. That organizations top level needs a serious reorganization. Ten Cate was not a good choice, but Advocaat is a downright bad one.

richsavare repped this.
  20. Rinus127

Rinus127 Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Advocaat would be the worst choice not because of his coach skills but because of his lack of honor. He's a mercenary. I do not believe that the experience of a coach is a guarantee of success. Joachim Low is an excellent coach, but his career before taking the lead of the German team was mediocre. We no longer dare to make courageous choices. There are too many conservatives at KNVB.

21. Bran

Bran Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Nijmegen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I actually think Advocaat would be a good choice(from the coaches now available at least), Ten Cate, however, would be an awful one.

22. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LOL.....we can forget about qualifying now

23. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014