The Luis please don't bite Question

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by Guigs, Jun 27, 2014.

?

Do you feel Suarez Punishment was fair

1. Yes - Don't bite people

72.1%
  2. Yes - But only after the World Cup

7.0%
  3. Yes - But he should have been allowed to appeal before serving

7.0%
  4. No - please explain

14.0%
  1. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    So much is being talked about "the fix is in" and that's why he was suspended.

I'm more of the opinion of, if you don't bite you won't get suspended.

What's yours?

2. YungMali

YungMali New Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    He should've never done that in the first place. The guy is gifted but his emotions gets the best of him at times. If he doesn't get help he will ruin his career. I hate the fact that he plays for Liverpool and almost got them the EPL trophy but I'm glad they didn't win it lol even tho our noisy neighbors did which is a team I also dislike a lot.

3. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think the suspension is fair, apart from the extra-gaming punishments. He shouldn't have been forced to leave, or prevented from entering stadia, etc. Just ban him from playing competitively for 9 games/4 months.

4. Roofvogel

Roofvogel Member

-
    Netherlands
    Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No, the punishment is too harsh.

A 1 second bite is less dangerous than a intentional elbow or kick on one's ankle, knee, or elsewhere. He is now punished based on emotional appeal.. people say ''he did it before'' and therefore he must be punished harder. I do not believe this helps, because indeed he did it before and there's no telling he won't do it again. The previous bites were punished already. If Suarez is playing a match he isn't going to think ''well I was punished before so I must not bite''. He probably can't control it so he needs help. People also say ''he should be an example''. If that is the case than I want to see Marchisio, Defour, and the Ghana player banned for a long time as well. Be consistent.

ChinoMafia repped this.
  5. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think for a one-off incident it would be unfair, but the fact that this is his third time caught biting someone means the punishment needs to be a little stronger.

I think four months is a little harsh, and it should only have been for international games, but it does warrant more than a normal three-match ban.

Talks of fixes and vendettas are stupid though. There's only only person to blame for this, and that's Suarez. Even now he (and all of Uruguay it seems) seems completely unwilling to admit he's done anything wrong.

6. ihatewaiting4years

Apr 29, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The nine game ban is fair. The four month ban from stadiums is ridiculous. I do think he should have been allowed to appeal his ban. This is common practice in American sports.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    it turns out to be the same as this period is quiet after WC... The months look longer but number of games are more orless same

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    How about if they let him play but only after he removes all his teeth?

9. HawkeyeStudio

HawkeyeStudio New Member

Jun 25, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who voted No is an insane and a bitter.

10. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    no need ...
    [​IMG]

11. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    I know you showed that pic as a joke but forcing a biter to wear a mask like that for the rest of their career would be the perfect punishment.

12. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    This isn't about dangerousness, it's about unsportsmanship.

13. Roofvogel

Roofvogel Member

-
    Netherlands
    Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    An intentional elbow or kick is not?

14. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Obv no fix.

My opinion is that if you bite, you get disciplinary action. That goes without saying. The discussion is whether punishment fits the crime, not whether or not he should've been punished.

I think there are two problems with the ban, even if I'd think it's just fine. For one, there are not too many previous cases like this, so it's hard to look for the precedent and give the same punishment. Thus, the penalty looks rather random: why is four months better than 3 or 5? Secondly, I think - at least to the majority - it's unclear what he can actually do and what he cannot. Banned from all football-related activity? What does that mean? Can he do jogging by himself? Can he meet the coach in a cafeteria to receive personal training programme? Can he play FIFA?

Suarez' advisors should've known better though. Once the biting had happened, they should've right away gone full damage control and apologized right away. That could've helped. He has only himself to blame, and hopefully this kinda stuff won't happen again.

15. ChinoMafia

ChinoMafia Red Card

Jul 9, 2014
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Fifa is the last organization with the moral grounds to try and hand out punishments to anybody.

16. SuperChivo

SuperChivo Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Now that he is playing for Barca I'm just hoping that he bites Pepe in a Superclasico.

JamesBH11 and Guigs repped this.
  17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    haha ... Ramos, Pepe, and Varane ... WATCH OUT

18. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Knowing Pepe, he will probably dust some food seasoning on his skin just to provoke Suarez and get him sent off. ;)

jerrito repped this.
  19. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I would say ... Suarez had NO CHANCE .... no more teeth ...

[​IMG]

20. Dennis324s

Dennis324s Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Alabama
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he should be suspended with no pay.

21. theblake30

theblake30 New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    If Suarez doesn't decide to bit the guy, he doesn't get suspended. It's that simple. You can argue the suspension all you want, but Suarez brought this on himself. If you don't bite, you don't get punished.

22. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Pro Evolution Soccer and EA Sports' FIFA title by including a controversial "Luis Suarez bite" function in the 2015 edition of their franchise.
    We jest, of course, as this is merely an image of a coincidental glitch that someone out there has uploaded to the Internet.

[​IMG]