The Lost Art of Tackling

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Cantona's Eyebrow, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    In modern youth football , from grassroots to academy level, the focus is firmly on technique and skills. However, this doesn't often extend to defensive techniques or principles. Little johnny can do the flik flak, scissors, Ronaldo chop, or Cruyff turn...... but has never been shown how to tackle.

Body shape is wrong, timing is wrong and they're next to clueless with regard to defensive responsibilities. "Just let them play, they're kids!" The Happy Clappers will shout. Clueless to the demands of the game.

Unwittingly, the next generation of footballers are being short-changed by many of their coaches. It would seem that attractive looking skills programs are what persuade seasoned soccer parents to part with their hard-earned bucks, which thrills little Johnny as he wants to be just like Neymar, but he's unable to understand one of the most fundamental aspects of the game: The art of tackling.

2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    #2 sam_gordon, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    While I agree it's definitely a skill that is needed to be taught, why do you think it isn't? Are you really seeing enough youth games to determine that it's a lost art?

ETA: I'm not saying this to be contrary, I'm genuinely wondering what you base your opinion on. Are the games you're watching "high level"? Trust me, I watched some BAD soccer this weekend. I wouldn't take what I saw as proof that something isn't being taught. It IS proof that so many kids want to play (or parents want them to play) that clubs have multiple levels of teams. FWIW, one of the teams I saw was the FOURTH level of that club... and that's at U13, so 11v11.

3. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Whereas I might agree there is certainly an emphasis on technique and skill, especially at the younger ages, by U-teens, I am personally not seeing a lot players who are utterly clueless on how to play defensive, including proper tackling. Quite the opposite in fact. (my son is U16, playing college showcases, primarily in the Midwest)...YMMV.

4. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    From a club coach perspective I guess it helps if they played some defense but defensive positioning and tackling don’t require a lot of teaching.

Good camps are helpful for detailed coaching, our youngest started going to college ID camps as a freshman, knowing he wasn’t going to be BMOC. But, he got defender specific coaching from college coaches. (One of whom signed him a few years later)

I’d also say that defenders get more benefit from watching the pros than other positions. You could watch Messi all year and not be able to replicate any of it...watching defenders of similar size and speed allows a young player to get a feel for positioning, when to step in and when to play off.

mwulf67 repped this.
  5. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    To be good at it requires significant coaching.

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I woud not seeing Rick Mahorn give my kid some pointers.

7. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    I agree with the Brow. Taking the ball away from the other team is a big part of the game. Not much emphasis on it from what I can tell. Then again, I dont think my kids' coaches put enough time in footskills either.