The Long-Range Shooters Ever

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Dearman, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Hi, it is interesting to discuss and conclude about the group of the best long distance shooters ever. It might be difficult to find the best since km/s measurement is not always recorded. Note that the best ever group should have the great profile of long-range scores in both domestic and international competition.

As I watch and gather information, the very top players in the long-shot are (Thanks for suggestion by Gregoriak for German players ;

Rainor Bonhof
    Ferenc Puskas
    Ronald Koeman
    Arie Haan
    Soren Lerby
    Klaus Augenthaler
    Han Schafer

Please discuss more players could be regarded among best ever in long-range shot.

2. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Difficult question. I think i'm correct in saying newer balls are designed for more efficient energy transmission upon contact, and the surface of the ball has gotten softer. For that I think id favour someone like Puskas who id guess would be even more efficient from 18-30 yards than he even was during his playing days

United_xxx and JamesBH11 repped this.
  3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I kinda agree ... eventhough it's hard to justify it - in long shot ... but
    Puskas, Pele, Eusebio will do even better with this new ball, new shoes, and new pitch

4. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Understand the difference in football weight factor but advantageous-disadvantageous speed of the shot ball could be compensated by accuracy in contrary way when the softer ball could be easier to shoot out of target.
    Anyway, just desire to name players among the best in their respective era in primary selection would be interesting.

Yes, Puskas was not so famous in very long distance shot but he was so good in around 25 m in which is included in the definitive long-range.

5. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Only if Pele's long range shot went in (about 1 foot missed from 60 yards out) vs Czech at WC70 (look 7.56min) ... Pele would complete a scoring stats at WC level

6. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Yes, This scene has long been famous but Pele primarily performed in the front-line so long-shot is not his favorite style and not as so often as midfielder or other style of forwards.

7. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    That has made Rivaldo's fame ... with his

[​IMG]
    After that my name was in all the papers. They wrote that not even Pele had managed to score a goal like that.
    [​IMG]

8. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #8 Estel, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    JamesBH11 repped this.
  9. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Peter Lorimer!

Dearman repped this.
  10. Once

Once Member+

Apr 16, 2011
    How about Bobby Charlton? Great long range shooter for what I have read and some footage..

La-Máquina and United_xxx repped this.
  11. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Then there's Bobby "Thunder Thighs" Carlos -

12. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Roberto Carlos should be given the award "The Greatest Long-Range Goal Ever" with his miracle shoot. Anyway, He could not score in the long distance often enough to be considered among the greatest. Too many times he shot wide.

13. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    haha to be honest Carlos only got the power .. but not that "precise" ... often he shot and HOPE the wind will bend the ball in.

In term of "power" : Rivelino, Adriano, Carlos, and lately CR7 could have made 125-140KM/hr

From 18-25m : Puskas, Pele, Rivelino, Rivaldo, Eusebio Bobby Charlton, Koeman are the common names

Lately, Gerrard Lampard Ballack Xabi Alonso are good in long shot 25-35 m

La-Máquina repped this.
  14. Estel

Estel Member+

May 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #14 Estel, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    Unless you can count the ratio of 'missed shots : shots on goal : dangerous shots on goal : shots on goal that went in' for all other players accurately along with the same for him, your not considering him doesn't make too much sense.

15. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    example at WC2002: Carlos managed 13 shots and 9 totally missed the target

16. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    Sometimes you don't need to count all stats to consider the best ever group if players were so often miss the target.
    People is accustomed the scene he just shot with extreme power but out of the target regularly. His shot accuracy is just below average of legendary standard. So keep record for this profile players in purpose to find the best is just lead the way to waste time and scope the more specific group of skillful shooters for keeping record should be introduced.

JamesBH11 repped this.
  17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    agree ...

18. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Here's another one to consider: Andreas Brehme!

19. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    I just watched him start at 1990 and his crossing is the first impression to me. He was a good long-shooter for sure but not for far distance as his power of shooting is not his high value asset.

20. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Brehme is renown for his crosses but believe me he had a very powerful and precise long-range shot (with both feet).

21. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Jorg Albertz had a very powerful and fairly accurate long range shot on him. As a Celtic fan I witnessed it (unfortunately) on quite a few occasions.

22. Dearman

Dearman Member

Argentina
    Feb 24, 2010
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Nat'l Team:
    Thailand
    #22 Dearman, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    OK, My memory is not obvious enough to judge anyway. Let check in Video Clip so far.

23. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    I am thinking more of the 1986 World Cup where he unleashed a number of them, also on the way for qualifying in 1984-85. Haven't watch any 1990 Germany games at the World Cup in ages so I don't remember how often he used his hard shot skills in that tournament.

24. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Brehme's shots were clean and mean. A real weapon.

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Agree ...
    he did not shoot as often as Koeman, R Carlos. but he did have a great power and precision in his long shots