The Lion of Lyon- The Alexander Lacazette thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Walia Ibex, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I know I am new but I was surprised there as been no dedicated thread for Laca. I'm biased because he is my favorite player on the squad so here it is! The technique, the class and the clinical finishing is truly amazing. He has so much passion for the club as well. Too bad he has been hampered with injury this season. He would be my choice for captain!

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think laca will benefit when auba leaves for cl footy

he compliments Pepe much more

3. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    That hurts to read but I agree. But hasn't laca production increased since Auba has come? Is Laca for all my love for him good enough to carry us like Aubameyang has? I don't know so

4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What if I told you Lacazette has eight league goals in 2019?

Super Llama repped this.
  5. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I know he had 13 league goals last year and 14 in his debut season for us. Two this year but he has been sidelined with nagging injuries. His work rate is amazing and so is his holdup play. But it seems it just takes more work for him to score can he lead a line by himself on this team probably not but who knows.

6. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Poor miss by Laca today. He was aggressive and up for this game but he hasn't looked the same since coming back from injury. I believe he should've been subbed for Gabby. He doesn't look sharp and his touch is off.

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed with all of that.

But he's coming back to good!

In our dismal last match for example, he was one of the few bright stars: bagging a brace. And his attitude and work rate is generally way above average.

Honestly the only thing that comes to mind that I dislike about Laca lately is his penchant for simulation. IIRC when he first signed with us he was much more "honest" about how he played. He wasn't going down easy from the slightest of contact. If someone has coached that into him, he should resist.

And yes I know a bunch of y'all will say that he should dive even more, maximize PK's, exploit the rules and the refs. I will always disagree with that mindset.

8. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    A very good performance from Laca yesterday a brace , yet the last goal was sad because it was bittersweet. His work rate is amazing hopefully he has regained form. Too bad he continues to get shutout of the France squad damn deschamps.

9. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Sports/political media and journalism in general is a joke. The entire article blares the idea that Lacazette is fighting with Emery and this is all that is in the article

Lacazette scored twice against Southampton including the stoppage time equaliser, but the French striker was seen engaging in what looked like a heated row with his manager earlier in the 2nd half.

Lol at clickbait. All competitive] people have a go at each other in the heat of the action.

10. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Poor game from Laca yesterday. He is becoming inconsistent and putting him central and Aubameyang out wide is not necessary and is counterproductive when he doesn't produce. He is my favorite and I believe he has earned a starting spot with his past production but people are calling for Martnelli and his benching so I hope to see him do well vs Brighton. 31 PL goals in 76 appearances is good enough imo to keep his job.

11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Laca has been awful this year

auba should play st and try nelson or martinelli lw Pepe rw

MisplacedSpainard repped this.
  12. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #13 MisplacedSpainard, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019

This with a creative Ozil behind and Torreira with a another work horse behind Ozil.

This would resemble what we had with Fabregas and his other midfield partnerships. He was given a free creative role with little defensive responsibilities.

We are stuck between two different playing styles by using both Laca and Auba at the same time unfortunately.

thebigman repped this.
  13. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Could play a traditional 4-4-2, but this requires playing Ozil on the right and Saka on the left.

14. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    why? Ozil cannot play as a side mid. A 442 is too compact and he’s too slow to short up and down

It would work better with pepe lm or saka and nelson rm

it could be worth trying if all else fails but I would prefer a 433

15. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It really depends on what we ask of our FB's. If we use them in attack to stretch the defense and overlap then maybe, but like bigman said we have issues with compactness. I don't believe slotting Ozil into a specific position on the field like as a side mid does his abilities any favors. He thrives on finding space and pulling players out of position or punishing them for not doing so.

If he is stuck on the side and cannot maraud around he is not able to find those vulnerabilities.

We really need to commit to an overall strategy and formation. If we are not in a 433 then i'm not sure that ozil has a good purpose. he isnt a good SS and his hold up play isn't the best.

Basically in a 442 you almost are better served to have Lacazette and another striker to play off him with the ball at his feet or a very attack minded midfielder that penetrates and shoots. Auba for instance is not the best at this since his game is better on open play and speed. Also two balanced wide midfielders with a double pivot (if disciplined defensively which we dont have) or a heavy DM like Torreira and recycler type like Santi was in front.

In a 433 you can have the FB width, solidify the defense with two more defensive minded mids and give Ozil the free role while give the front three space to attack and run.

I think the 433 outlined above helps us cover the personnel issues in defense better while stabilizing the midfield and makes better use of the attacking players we do have now.

However we could use both strategies with the right player adjustments in game. For instance you could start with the 433 and then switch into a 442 near the end of the game by swapping out Auba and Ozil for Laca and other mids depending on who started before.

thebigman repped this.
  16. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    4 goals in the last 4 starts. But has been designated to the bench for Martinelli and rightly so. He is not appericated enough He will likely be leading the line next season after Aubameyang leaves. Him Martinelli, Saka and Pepe could be a tasty forward line. Keep your head up Laca!

17. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Wonder what Arteta plan is for Laca. I see in the training video Laca wants to do flicks and the boss says no stick to passing! Which is good imo. Aubameyang needs to be sold soon and hopefully Laca, Martinelli and Pepe are the center of the attack with prehaps Saka or a 4th forward brought in. Laca will benefit once Auba is gone.

18. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    Not a good game for Laca. Missed several shots and didn't take a shot when he should've. Had a great through ball given to him by Luiz and Ozil and flubbed both. I want him to still get a chance to redeem himself vs Chelsea and Man U because he does play big in "big games". However his leash might be short. He hasn't been able to get consistent minutes and he is still getting getting over his injury so he needs more time.

thebigman repped this.
  19. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I think this might be all she wrote for Laca.

Super Llama repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He’s ********ing awful

doesn’t contribute anything

looking like chamakh out there atm

Super Llama repped this.
  21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He should look for a new club in 2020

Super Llama repped this.
  22. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    The injury really has messed up his form. He hasn't been the same since. He looks heavy, slow and his touch is way off. He falls alot, complains more and is looking for a foul. Nor is he even close to being his clinical self, it's sad to see because he has a ton of passion for this club. I agree with the rest unless he regains prior form this is it for the Lion of Lyon in North London.

23. Walia Ibex

Walia Ibex Red Card

Arsenal
    Ethiopia
    Oct 2, 2019
    I love the guy as a player but shit it's tough to support him after all of this wasteful poor performances.

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He’s shit