The Klinsmann Coaching thread, v1

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by bungadiri, Dec 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    If a problem does arise, JK must whip it!
    [​IMG]
    Sorry.

2. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely care if the coach deciding to bunker is one who is paid like one of the world's elite at his job and replaced a coach who was able to get the same, if not better results with much more vitality.

If we wanted negative bunkering, we could've hired Alex McLeish for half the money and almost none of the attention-seeking, self-aggrandizing clownishness.

And there's no such thing as a "lock-down" defense unless you're Italy '06. We have to find a way to score goals, and if the coach doesn't know how to do that, he's a terrible coach.

TheNearPost repped this.
  3. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has definatly put his philosopy in the youth teams. They no longer play a 4-4-2. Now they play a 4-3-3. Both the U 17 and U 20 teams are playing that formation and seem to be thriving on it. I expect even after he steps down as head coach he will stick aroud as director of player development

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Claudio Reyna, US Youth Technical Director, introduced his US Soccer Curriculum in April, 2011 stating that teams will use the 4-3-3 (or 4-2-3-1Montana/4-1-2-3). This was a few months before JK was hired. 4-3-3 for youth players is an excellent formation as it promotes playing out of the back (vs some sweeper/stopper formation) and each position has a defined role. It also promotes off ball movement and highlights technical requirements to make it all work. With this as a foundation, players can still adapt to 4-4-2 at the senior levels if required.

So, the philosophy was in place for youth teams after Reyna's and Javier Perez's year long study culminating in the curriculum and before JK's hire.

GVPATS77 and deuteronomy repped this.
  5. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    The myth of JK revolutionizing the US youth system will only be outdone by the myth that he had jack shit to do with the German youth restructuring. That so many people are so ignorant to the truth really is shocking.

6. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And it wouldn't be such a big deal if Juergen weren't the guy who perpetuated the myth with all of his talk.

What really holds this team back is that Juergen doesn't understand the player pool, he has strict preferences on his player selection that ends up causing a convention of weird and/or mediocre players, and he is forcing round pegs into square holes. He's a my way or the high way kind of guy. " This is the way the team needs to play," regardless of the degree or variety of our talent, and when they don't perform it, they get a heaping helping of Kaiser Klinsmann Kriticism.

What's more, Juergen doesn't even know how to get the team to play the way he's been advocating. It's a massive mess. We hired Juergen to cause progress. Can we really say we've seen enough in the time that JK has been around? What was so drastically different about the way we played in Azteca? The result was better, and Juergen should get credit, but as I recall, we were supposed to be bracing for better quality of style and worse results, not the other way around.

7. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As we all know, you just can never have too many DMs. ;)

"Every player that you follow and plays on a consistent high level is of interest to us," Klinsmann said. "I think Ozzie did that over the past two years. He really made himself known as a strong No. 6, a very good team player, a player that is always there for his teammates in a role similar to Kyle Beckerman at Real Salt Lake.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...nsmann-cuba-standing-way-osvaldo-alonso-usmnt

Mr Martin repped this.
  8. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    I think Alonso being allowed to play for us by FIFA is a longer shot than us winning the cup in 2014.

If there is a slight possibility, but requires Cuba to consent, then this will just be another endless BS talking point that never goes anywhere.

9. Pkauffma

Pkauffma Member

Feb 23, 2007
    HI
    I'm extremely happy with JK to this point. We've given more looks to players who would've never seen playing time during qualifiers under BB. Even more speculative, but equally likely in my mind, is how even if we had let another MLS coach take over for BB instead of JK it would've been the same conservative tactics and squad selection. Our back line would still be anchored by Boca and Gooch or some other gray haired combination that can't get the job done going forward.

JK seems to have the philosophy that more options create more possibilities and if you can qualify while still using a different lineup every time you should be able to assess at the end exactly who makes the squad better. A 0-0 result in Mexico would've have been a loss under any other quality (note sarcastic tone here) MLS coach. Cycling through players also gives the impression that the USMNT has an open door policy, if you want on the team prove it.

One thing I'm especially happy about it Clint Dempsey as captain. He's the most successful american to ever play abroad in a league that is what, top 3 in the world? He also scores for the Nats pretty regularly.

Who else is excited for June? It's going to be awesome to see the ball bouncing around on the fake surface they have up there in Seattle.

10. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Bob Bradley capped more players in his time in charge than any other US coach in History. This statement of yours is just pure ignorance.

We were the top attacking side on planet earth last qualifying cycle. Numbers simply don't lie. We bunker more under Klinsmann than we ever have since Bora in 1994.

When Bradley was fired he was already starting to try out new CB's like Ream and Omar. He was just fired before he had the opportunity to fully transition.

I realize that you must have just started watching this team a month ago, but do a little research first, because your ignorance to the truth really is at a world class level.

Shabs, Mr Martin, ebbro and 3 others repped this.
  11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There were youth coaches in the past who also used that system. Maybe not 24/7, but they used it quite a bit. Rongen for one.

12. Pkauffma

Pkauffma Member

Feb 23, 2007
    HI
    Right, and since you have trouble understanding time, and or lengths, durations, whatever you term it, he coached the team for almost 5 years, so far Klinsmann has coached for less than 2. Not a valid point on your behalf. My point was starting squad selection. But nice rebuttal.

And again, conservative tactics and squad selections was the topic. Not whether the USMNT scored goals in the second worst federation on the planet. Again though, good rebuttal.

Ream who? I'm sorry, the guy Lalas had hard on for because he could pass out of the back but has no situational awareness? Okay, I agree on that one.

The best rebuttal of the day, congrats. You've made a fine point there sir.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  13. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    I like unicorns as well.

14. Pkauffma

Pkauffma Member

Feb 23, 2007
    HI
    "In 2012 Kinsmann coached the U.S. to their best winning percentage in a calendar year in history."

So excited for June...we even play Germany if I'm not mistaken, good friendly matchup before Panama.

15. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I understand the concept of tenure genius. Your argument was that ceratin players would have never been given a chance under Bradley. His history proved that he was more willing to give new players a chance than any other coach in history.

Meaning your argument was based in pure ignorance and stupidity.

And in that 2nd worst confederation in the World, Klinsmann's offense has looked anemic. Even against teams comprised of US 3rd division players.

So once again, your argument was based in pure ignorance and stupidity.

Whether they were the right selection or not is irrelevant. The point was that Bradley saw the need to transition our CB pairing and was beginning to experiment with different options.

So your argument that he would still be anchoring the line with Boca and Gooch is, again, based in ignorance and stupidity.

Shabs, ebbro and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  16. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Patently stupid, but GVPATS has already covered it.

cleansheetbsc repped this.
  17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And Gooch wasn't even in the Gold Cup squad... Although I can't remember if he was injured or not...

19. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jurgen has not lost in 2 matches at Azteca and has beaten Italy in Italy

20. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    And he drew 0-0 against Canada's B team.And barely beat an A&B side comprised of US 3rd division players. And suffered the first loss in qualifying history against Jamaica.

Jurgen getting results against good teams isn't some unprecedented event.

Under past regimes we've beaten Brazil, Spain (snapping a world record setting unbeaten streak in the process), gotten results against Argentina, tied Italy in the World Cup (a World Cup that they won, where we were the only team to take a point off of them).

So good for Jurgen. For 5 times what the last guy was paid, I would expect him to be able to maintain the status quo at a bare minimum.

21. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is the status quo? IMO it is to qualify for the WC and we are in good position to do so.

The same Jamaica that pulled out a draw against Mexico also

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another guy who can't analyze beyond a box score.

These types seem to pop up through every crack on BS. And you know what else comes out of cracks? Shit.

cleansheetbsc and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  23. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch made the bench for the first 3 GC2011 matches.

24. lajake

lajake Member

Dec 29, 2011
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Results are the only thing that matter

Controlling a match and losing still means you lost no matter how well you play

I guess you cannot stand change and wish for the guy who allows 2 goals at least a game back

25. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You can't try to reason with the haters. They hate Klinsi, and nothing he does is good enough. They fail to recognize any positive change. You will be accused of not being able to see what is going on on the pitch and the results do not matter. They excel at bitching and ....

[​IMG]