The Kellyn Acosta Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Alex Yang, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Since many individual players have gotten their own thread, I thought it would be appropriate to give Kellyn his own since his star is really starting to shine this season. 4 goals in 5 matches as a box to box midfielder. Unfortunately I haven't been able to watch him much so people who have and who could describe his impact outside of goals that would be great. From the little I've seen, he seems incredibly athletic, covers a lot of ground, solid passer and as we've seen can finish.

With his recent form he could be in line to start next week vs Honduras. If Bruce goes with a 4231 I could see Acosta pairing Bradley in the 2 line.

Obviously this is my first thread, so mods if this is incorrect or should just be merged somewhere else just let me know

OGx3, deuteronomy, Ironbound and 4 others repped this.
  2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something you may not notice about him unless you see him live is how effortlessly he swings to either side to fill in for fullback runs. Fullback wasn't his best position but he's maybe the best mid in MLS you want covering since he's played both outside spots. This helps snuff out so many counters that create trouble for many teams. I always here criticism concerning fullbacks caught up field but when Acosta's there they don't.

3. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    I have not seen him much outside of the youth national team play but I am glad the RB experiment seems to be over. He was the worst player on the field every game when played at RB.

This summer will be his opportunity to get into the conversation. I would be surprised if he plays in these 2 qualifiers unless we thump Honduras. The away match will be very tough and super physical/dirty. I worry about young players in those environments.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worry most about Pulisic every game he plays anywhere because of what it would do to the US.

5. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    has a chance to be the starting left back.

6. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Of course. Coaches are well-known for filling the central attacking midfield role in must-win games with a 21-year-old with four caps. Especially a player who has never played there internationally or above the MLS level. This is particularly true for Bruce Arena.

7. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yep. The only guy to fill that type of role (in the 2000s) as the so-called #8 for the US at 21 years old was Michael Bradley in 2008 and 2009, and he was much more experienced than Acosta is now.

Bradley set a high standard for Acosta to fulfill.

deuteronomy repped this.
  8. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Acosta's real big chance comes this summer at the Gold Cup. If he makes a strong showing there, he could really start to force he way into being a bigger part of the main US squad.

The key for now is to just keep his head down and putting out these complete two way performances. It is obviously very early in the season but his progression has been excellent in all phases of the game. Now we need to see if he can maintain this level.

Bajoro repped this.
  9. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Right? It'd be like starting a 20 year old in the first WC game against a highly rated European team... Crazy talk.

10. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Well, one might point out there was a reason for that.

11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    FTR: I just don't see Acosta having the size or the skill to be a starting central midfielder in a big 4 league. It's a little like Brek Shea. He can probably play that position within CONCACAF. But if we're looking to play with the best teams (and we should be looking for that after Russia), then I just don't see him being a lynchpin center mid.

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Well we don't know what this is yet, but he appears to have made a quantum leap this year, and there were slow and steady signs of growth and potential for this possibility.

If he ends up being a mainstay midfielder for us, this is how it would happen, a huge leap in form.

His development in the next year or two will be very interesting to watch.

13. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Acosta is 5'10"...what's he lacking in size? He's not exactly small. As far as skill, I respect your opinion but vehemently disagree. He's already one of our more skilled CM's right now.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  14. Alex Yang

Alex Yang Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I never said he'd be a CAM (semantics I know). Anyway, its not like the other CM options have a much more international experience. I will note that my data comes from wikipedia but of the midfielders currently called up, Lletget has two senior caps, fewer U20 and U23 caps, and even less caps than Acosta does for his respective club. McCarty has six senior caps. Nagbe admittedly has twelve caps but he's also played on the wing for at least half of those and with FJohnson's recent injury, is more likely to start on the wing. Bedoya has fifty seven caps sure but the vast majority of those have been on the wing. Plus we know what he brings to the table and it is nothing worth getting excited about.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    From back in 2013:

deuteronomy and schrutebuck repped this.
  16. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make that two 20-yr-olds.

To be fair to @Ghost, when Arena started Donovan and Beasley against Portugal in 2002, the team had a lot more time to train together for that first match.

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree with a minor quibble. FWIW, I don't think it's about the age. Kellyn is in his fifth year as a pro. I do think though that he simply doesn't have enough caps to take such a central role. MB, Bedoya both needed about a dozen caps and a Gold Cup at vastly different ages before getting the keys. Guys like Jermain Jones and Pulisic needed less time because of the key roles they played for clubs in CL positions. Again, vastly different ages.

schrutebuck repped this.
  18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Kellyn Acosta, the USMNT's tenacious young midfielder, is ready for this

http://deadspin.com/kellyn-acosta-the-usmnts-tenacious-young-midfielder-i-1796027973

19. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That he and Bradley looked pretty good is probably the biggest takeaway from the game, imo.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Kellyn Acosta makes his case to replace Jermaine Jones on the USMNT

http://www.bigdsoccer.com/2017/6/12...costa-jermaine-jones-usa-replacement-midfield

deuteronomy repped this.
  21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tactically foolish? That's a ridiculous claim made on Jones, one that isn't supported by his career. The legs have simply gone. It happens to all players eventually.

In a two-man central midfield, Acosta is Bradley's replacement. Bradley then becomes Jones's replacement, which is essentially the old 'box-to-box' Bradley of the 2010 cycle.

From the pool of D-Will, Acosta, and Roldan, we should always have a good partner for Bradley.

22. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He does everything pretty well and only getting better. His free kicks are absolutely fantastic.

tomásbernal repped this.
  23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghost repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you know what "Big D" is?

deuteronomy repped this.
  25. PhillyandBCEagles

Jul 9, 2012
    NC
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    "Cause your mother does, Trebek!"

IHSSOC, sXeWesley and superdave repped this.