The Jonathan Gonzalez Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by TheFalseNine, Dec 14, 2017.

1. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sure, but he also stated there would be few changes during Qualifying.

2. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Fine take it the BSMX, take it to Yanks Abroad, take it to USMNT. Its not news or analysis.

3. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Sacha's club play during Arena's run was not nearly what it was the year previous.

4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the news being that he didn't qualify for the Mexico World Cup roster, undermining the essential driving factor for the switch?

5. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Not from a USMNT standpoint. It wasn't an issue when Rossi was cut from Italy. They are afterthoughts at this point.

6. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the epilogue to the story. It’s news.

8. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    #1583 #1 Feilhaber and Adu, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
    The next Jonathan Gonzalez case is happening as we speak.

Efrain Alvarez. 15

According to him U.S. soccer has not contacted him recently and is still open to the idea of playing for the U.S. Played for US youth Teams before.

6 goals in the last 3 games for Galaxy II. 4 of these could be goals of the season.
    15-years old.

994755374841520128 is not a valid tweet id

997561951017455622 is not a valid tweet id

https://twitter.com/zlebmada/status/997685471559012354

Marko72 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  9. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Where's Jurgen Klinsmans? Put him on a recruiting trip.

10. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on his Friends and Family plan going back to 2002...

11. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's news to me. I just found out from this. Wouldn't have seen it on BSMX, and on YA they may well too say that's not the forum for NT news. If that thread is bumped on YA I'm also not inclined to check because I'm not interested much in his club prospects now. This story is relevant to put a nice little bow on his short-sighted choice. Let that be a lesson to others.

That didn't happen until several years later, otherwise it surely would have. He wasn't in the picture for Italy in '06 unlike for Gonzalez for Mexico in '18. Italy's immediate WC eligibility vs. the U.S.' had nothing to do with Giuseppe's decision.

12. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    #1587 FeedhimtothepigsArold, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    You mean the same MB who couldnt lead the USA to a world cup when the red carpet of US soccer was rolled out for him?

That clan has too much power in US soccer and the media members who are part of the cult enabled this environment. The whole Arena/SUM/MLS/Bradley click killed us. Their sabotage job backfired and hurt the whole team. Unforgivable if you ask me.

Patrick167 repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Where on the doll did he touch you?

adi21, olephill2 and WrmBrnr repped this.
  14. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Right underneath the scro........

I strongly feel the MB era hurt a lot of midfield options. There were times where he was forced in on reputation and because he has significant sway within US soccer. He is one of the best midfielders we have but not so much better than the next option that we needed to utilize him in the manner that we did.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how did that make you feel?

We legit need a Michael Bradley forum.

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    #1592 FeedhimtothepigsArold, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
    Does it bother you when people have the opinion that over reliance on MB hurt other players?

I feel the over rated MB cost other decent players a chance to help the team. This thread is about Gonzalez and we can say the same for just about any midfielder who played anywhere near his position. There were times when players were playing well in superior or similar leagues to MLS but the magic fairy dust on MB somehow placed him in most lineups.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish....

19. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Hes not even playing for USA anymore. So isnt it relevant to analyze why he isnt part of the setup? Especially since MB is part of our setup. Or perhaps this thread should be moved to the Mexico section.

In my opinion.......MB was a reason he wasnt called up. Not the only reason. Our federation, media and coaches obviously felt they had the central mid position adequately covered. So much so that players like Mckennie, JoGo, Adams, Morales, Williams, Hyndman, Mix etc etc etc, were neglected.

In this case it cost us a player who could have helped the program.

I dont understand why you would be so interested in JoGo now. Why does it bother you that the thread about a player who isnt playing for us stays on topic. Id rather talk about how he got away, with honesty and without the MLS/SUM tilt to it.

Patrick167 repped this.
  20. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USSF isn't even contacting Efrain?

FFS. Handle it like NCAA basketball recruiting. Send cash, blow and women.

But in all seriousness, we should have someone who contacts these players on autodial once per month. Just keep checking in. Instead our head scout is too busy tweeting about how low IQ Messi.

Namdynamo, sXeWesley, Skadrist and 3 others repped this.
  21. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Give them the Louisville treatment

22. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Once a month is negligent. What is Miazga to Chelsea if not the same kind of prospect as Gonzales to the USA. Chelsea is in contact with Miazga every few days. They immediately send him feedback on every game. They are constantly helping him get better. Even though Miazga is in Holland, he totally feels part of Chelsea.

21st Century Pele and sXeWesley repped this.
  23. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    The new YTF money should be used to bring every American back from LigaMX to MLS. It won't be. It will be used to buy South American and Eastern European youth to push Americans off MLS rosters.

FeedhimtothepigsArold and sXeWesley repped this.
  24. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miazga is a Chelsea employee.

That relationship and frequency of communication is different than a NT.

adi21 and WrmBrnr repped this.
  25. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know right? It is such a shame that this thread is far more about Thomas Rongen's lies, the lack of foresight, disorganization and incomprehensible incompetence from the representatives of our soccer federation, many or most of whom are still pulling the strings.

It would be so much easier if we could all just say it doesn't belong in N&A because he is Mexican, open and shut:

You know just keep lying to ourselves and pretend the whole thing is just about this one player and how his dad was just SO Mexican, we never had a chance. Lets all be like this upstanding representative of our core American Values:

https://www.socceramerica.com/publications/article/76330/what-theyre-saying-thomas-rongen.html

"I've been to his house three times in the last year as the chief scout for the U.S. men's national team. He's as American as they come. He represented our [under-17 team], our under-20 team [in World Cup qualifying] as well. Not going to the World Cup ourselves, that has been tough. I knew going forward, we might lose some battles. It's a big loss, obviously. He would have liked to play for the U.S., but you know what, his dad is so Mexican, that he wanted him to represent Mexico and I knew it was a losing battle, probably."

We can then just forget about this and when the same incompetence loses us another player like Alvarez, we can all pretend it is not systemic, there is no problem here and we just lost out to "culture" again.

russ and FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.