The Jay Sugarman Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by breslinp, Jun 23, 2015.

1. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Haven't bought merchandise in over a year. Held off on tickets this year and I'm happy with the money saved. I watch on tv, or not. Recently I've just been doing work on my computer and have a stream on as background noise.

I can't be the only one either.

2. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody follows sports teams in their own way. I have been to every game the team has played at home in their existence. I have also been to many away games as well, a couple per season. I still buy merchandise, I still watch every game in real time, and I still buy a beer or two when I'm at PPL. Why do I do all of this? Because I love soccer and I love the Union.

I am, however, quite angry at the direction of the team. I do feel like I care more than the ownership does. The team does not have to be a perennial Cup contender to keep my interest. I'd be happy with being a perennial playoff team that has a chance to win the Cup, and does every once in a while. It's really not much to ask for.

My question simply becomes: If you don't buy tickets, you don't watch games, you don't buy merchandise, and you just put stuff on to listen as background noise, how much of a fan can you possibly be?

jaykoz3 repped this.
  3. Cherry Hill SOB

Cherry Hill SOB Member+

Aug 30, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Express your fandom in your way. EdBacon is expressing his in his own way and if he wants to show his support to the Union by withholding his support to the people he feels are responsible for their dismal performance then let him. I don't think you are any more of a fan than he is and you may just have more discretionary spending than he does. That being said I suspect there will be a protracted discussion to follow of who is a fan and who isn't. Perhaps that thread can just be created now so I can avoid it and still see the comments about how much we all agree that Jay Sugarman is not a fan.

etsjay, DOOPist, SOwannaB and 6 others repped this.
  4. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Let's agree to disagree on this. I don't feel comfortable spending time and money on something that ultimately leaves me frustrated and feeling like a sucker.

The Union is always going to be special to me, and I would never support another MLS side, but that doesn't mean I have to automatically open my wallet for them each year. If I'm not happy with the performance, I don't go.

lopezzzz repped this.
  5. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally get what you are saying. I was not really trying to call you out. I just don't understand how you can not watch the games. We are all frustrated by what is going on with the club. I think we can all agree that things need to change... from the top on down.