The Importance of Being Ernesto - The 2017-2018 Season thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Xavi's open letter to Iniesta:
    http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2018/05/20/5b01baa522601d164e8b4568.html

"Andres is, for me, the most talented player in the history of Spanish football that I've seen. He's spectacularly talented.

If we talk about him as a person then it's ridiculous, he's admirable in every single way.

He's exemplary, empathetic, a team player, a winner and a leader on the pitch, he always wants the ball.

Do people realise just what that means? Where many players don't want the ball because it's a difficult situation, Andres always asked for it.

Andres loved the ball and when others thought 'no, no please don't give it to me.' Andres would come and say 'Come on, give it to me, give it to me now, please.'

That's a blessing for his teammates, that's what having personality is, that's being a true leader.

A silent leader, perhaps, but an authentic one nevertheless."

[​IMG]

Gilmango, madridista_hr and thetomg repped this.
  2. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Away jersey for 2018/19: back to the neon yellow. Needs a stripe or something, looks very plain.
    Third kit will reportedly be the same maroon but with pink instead of orange highlights.

[​IMG]

3. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Favorite past jersey?
    [​IMG]

4. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I like the away shirt, kinda 05-06 vibe.

The home shirt is a little bland, though. A question of taste, but in general fewer and fatter stripes work better. I mean how much nicer is the 2014-2015 shirt than the forthcoming one...

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I still like the 1999-2000 the best.

puyol repped this.
  6. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    2010-11, with the yellow collar, was probably my favourite kit.

i like the yellow highlighter, hoping for dark shorts though.

7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Favorite home shirt?
    Mayba pre-1990s. No sponsor, no frills, just a shirt for the players to wear, not for the fans to buy..
    And BLUE shorts, not red!

[​IMG]

8. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  9. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    + individual awards
    + NT stuff

The best Spanish footballer ever? Or just even with Xavi?

10. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #986 jfcule, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    I really like the 2003-2004 one.

It was a good year for jerseys. The third jersey dark blue with the diagonal stripes is probably my favorite one ever.

11. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  12. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
  13. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Has either player ever explained why when they played with Barca Xavi wore 6 and Iniesta wore 8, but when they played for Spain they switched with Iniesta wearing 6 and Xavi wearing 8?

15. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes. It was because of what numbers were free when they joined the team (or at least made it as a regular). At least I remember reading it being so, could be wrong.

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Philip Cocu wore #8 during Xavi's first years with Barca. Although Xavi initially wore #26 and then #16 with Barca which tends to indicate that #6 is his preferred number anyway.

With Spain, Xavi didn't wear single digits until WC 2006 (at least that was the first major tournament with his #8). Iniesta wore #13. But for Euro 2008 Albelda, who had been wearing #6, didn't make the squad. There seemed to be an opportunity there for Xavi to go to #6 and Iniesta to #8 but for whatever reason they didn't (maybe its just traditional to keep your number once you have something in the #1 to 11 range).

unclesox repped this.
  17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
  18. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    michael cox, from zonal marking, says they both wanted #6 at Barca, so Xavi let Iniesta have it for the national team.

Gilmango, jfcule and unclesox repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Anything special about the #6 jersey. I thought that was typically the LB position if we are talking about traditional positions for numbers.

20. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    maybe they idolized one the past wearers of the #6? Bakero maybe?
    interestingly no LBs on the list, mostly midfielders:

Past wearers of #6
    :
    Dani Alves (15/16), Xavi (01/02 - 14/15), Iván de la Peña (00/01), Ronald de Boer (98/99 - 99/00), Óscar García (95/96 - 98/99), José Mari Bakero (89/90 - 96/97), Eusebio (91/92 - 94/95), Guillermo Amor (93/94), Miguel Ángel Nadal (91/92), Johan Neeskens (78/79)

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    So why didn't we keep Iniesta for another year . Seems to be back to his best of late !

Even have him on the coaching staff and part time player .

We have let Puyol , Xavi and now Iniesta walk away from Barca !!!

Criminal

22. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #999 Gilmango, May 23, 2018
    Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Well Puyol was different than the other two, he had multiple injuries, surgeries, long painful recoveries, and decided his body could not take it any more. He did not play elsewhere. The only thing bad was how his boss/mentor was scapegoated by the board, so Puyol himself left our employ and is now a player agent, but that was after he stopped playing.

Xavi and Iniesta are similar, both were playing less and finding it harder to play full games at their highest level twice a week and at the level required by Barca, Liga play, CL play, Spanish NT. Both realized they could extend their careers, get huge paydays, and still be top players in a smaller league (and quitting the national team). They left Barca for much less competitive leagues. Iniesta had that right in his contract, in Xavi's case Barca and he mutually rescinded his contract so he could choose his own path and get a bigger salary (by Barca not insisting on a transfer fee). That to me is honorable of the club, not criminal.

Iniesta had that already written into his contract, Xavi was granted that right in recognition of years of faithful service. Each left when they could still contribute to Barca, albeit in smaller minutes, each left on top, as all great athletes should be allowed to do. Would it help the club to have Iniesta here next year in an even smaller role? Sure, but that was not what Iniesta wanted to do.

puyol repped this.
  23. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

What i really hated though that Puyol was replaced with Vermaelen who was injured 99% of the time he spent in Barca , even with all the injures and problems puyol faced he would've still been able to play more than him , at least until 2015 when he could've retired in a good farewell with that triple