The Importance of Being Ernesto - The 2017-2018 Season thread [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Camp Nou has only hosted four Copa finals:
    1963 Barcelona 3-1 Zaragoza
    1970 LPB 3-1 Valencia :(
    2010 Sevilla 2-0 Atlético Madrid
    2015 Barcelona 3-1 Athletic Bilbao
    Given the political climate in Catalunya at the moment I don't think the RFEF would consider Camp Nou as a venue for now.
    2015 featured clubs and supporters from Catalunya and the Basque Country, two regions that have long wanted independence.
    Can't recall how/why the 2010 final was chosen.

During Monday's meeting Sevilla put forward La Cartuja Olimpico but were rejected.
    Guillermo Amor, who is now Barca's director of institutional and sporting relations, said after the meeting that Barca did not ask for the Bernabeu.

Trillz repped this.
  2. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Gilmango and afar repped this.
  3. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The teams had a meeting Monday and suggestions were made, Sevilla nominated two stadiums in Sevilla, Barca nominated their own, and also sought to change the date of the game. I think that the only chance for a compromise was if both pushed hard for Valencia, but really I think that the Wanda on 21 April was already set in stone.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They gotta stop this non-sense of teams suggesting their own ground to host a national cup final! It makes the league seem so mickey-mouse.

I could understand if the 2 finalists are based in the same city to play the match in the largest stadium of that city, but for Barca v Sevilla to take place in Seville or BCN is silly for anyone to even suggest.

MavadoDribblez repped this.
  5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Typical that we play on Saturday but Chelsea get to play on Friday so an extra day of rest /recovery/ preparation for the upcoming game ..

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They'll field a B team too, I suspect. We should do the same, with some exceptions like Coutinho and Umtiti. Playing away means there's no real pressure to field some of our stars.

7. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Sadly I'm fairly will simply kick us all over the park and not get punished then Iniesta will tickle one of theirs and get booked ..

8. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

Agree with him in every single point :thumbsup:

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    About scoring in the 1st half, that's very true this season ... Barca haven't scored a lot of goals. But it's not due to lack of intensity. So he is 100% wrong about that. It's all good to say score more goals early, but reality isn't that easy.

About Semedo, I've said it before, he is better defensively but SR has been much better in attack. And given the number of goals Barca has conceded this season, it hasn't been a problem.

10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Sooo Pogba and Jose have fallen out .... of love Pogba here ... we could even get him on loan until the Summer .... Real Madrid are very interested in him apparently

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Straight swap for Gomes would be fantastic. Although Pogba is vastly overrated IMO.

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Really ??

I rate Pogba as one of a handful of really gifted midfielders ... along with Coutinho and Busquets ;)

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    So overrated.

Everywhere Pogba goes all you hear is "he is being played out of position". At some point people will need to find a different excuse to explain his underwhelming performances. Its okay to admit that a player never panned-out as expected.

We've also seen this movie before with Pogba at Man Utd - like 5-6 years ago. :sleep:

14. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    wtf has Pogba ever done?

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    He effectively became the French Verratti. :thumbsup:

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A few screamers in Serie A and an ever changing hair cut.

17. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On first listen I got to about 4:14 in that video when he said we need to score more in first half, we really need to try harder to score more goals earlier and wtf, (1) are we not trying in the first half of games? (2) is our scoring in the 2nd half (at a record-setting pace) in no way related to how much we wear out teams in the first half?

Before that he was on about we have to rotate but we also have to start the best team all the time or at least not rotate more than a player or two, till we get that big first half lead he is advocating for, then we can rotate more. OK dude, I'll sign on to that IF and when we get first half leads and otherwise when the f do we rotate more than 1 player when we are playing 13 games in 40 days or whatever the run was before we finally had a midweek off?

Other points we to move the ball faster, no short little passes. As if we never counter attack or play long balls? As if our fans did not whine about Lucho abandoning the Barca way?

Play a clear system, whether 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, and esp. with respect to Coutinho and Dembele, stop asking them to play all over as they adapt (even though their versatility is why we bought them). That one is a good point for this season where, due to injuries (Dembele) and winter transfer (Coutinho) we probably should not try to play them in too many roles.

And finally play Semedo more at RB (but still play Roberto, just as a mid). So we sit two of Rakitic, Coutinho, Iniesta, and Roberto in order to play Semedo? Not so sure right now. Maybe next season esp. if Iniesta goes to China.

TitoTata repped this.
  18. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

He managed to cost United an huge amount of money, which is his biggest achievement. I'm afraid one of Dembélé or Coutinho will pull a Pogba. Overhyped, overpriced...

19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I'm assuming you guys simply haven't watched Pogba play this season .. he's not been impressive the last two games but that's mainly because United have struggled ..

I reckon he'd be a perfect partner for Coutinho with Busquets covering behind ....

20. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I remember watching a few of his Juve games and wasn't impressed at all. Although it was only 4 games or so. So small sample.

21. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Is there anybody that feels having Coutinho as a starter makes the team weaker? Barcelona allready has Messi - does a Coutinho really make Barcelona stronger. Make no mistake, Coutinho is a great impact player to come off the bench but as a guaranteed starter- he makes Messi less effective (due to lesser toughness in midfield and trying to take over some playmaking duties) which makes Barcelona weaker imo. (Unless the player is of the same calibre of Messi which he really isnt) Coutinho, imo, should never be a starter in any Barca lineup ahead of Iniesta or Paulinho. Ideally, barca should have bought in lucas moura instead of investing in Paulinho. This way, you guys have a genuine impact player that doesnt have to start every game.

22. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Problem is Valverde is playing him on the right , if he plays on the left in the 4-3-3 with Suarez in the middle and messi on the right it will be better , same exact thing with Dembele

but when it comes to playing 4-4-2 like we are playing right now then the ideal formation is playing Paulinho because he offers more attacking options upfront specially on the crosses since we have no tall players to go for the headers and not force pique/umtiti/mina to go everytime

so the best midfield would be busi/raki/iniesta/paulinho , i have no idea why we spent over 300 freaking million on players we don't need and don't offer any advantages to the way we play , but we are used to wasting money throughout the years and i doubt it will change any time soon.

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    We spent the money as Iniesta is in a decline resembling fakeRonaldo's plus Rakitic and Paulinho have and never will be good enough for Barcelona .

Thank the good lord we have Busquets !

Just an opinion ..

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team: