The Impeachment Pool

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
?

On what day (of the month of which year) does the U.S. House of Representatives vote - on the floor

1. On or Before January 20, 2018

8.7%
  2. On or Before January 20, 2019

23.9%
  3. On or Before January 20, 2020

10.9%
  4. On or Before January 20, 2021

7.6%
  5. None of the Above - Donald Trump finishes out one or two terms of office

48.9%
  1. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    "If he tries to run again...he’ll lose. The day after he walks out of the White House...he’ll be looking at going to jail."

We need to be very vigilant. this scenario is exactly why Caesar marched on Rome and ended the Republic.

2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Donald Trump will never set foot in a jail.

For one thing, he's allegedly rich and rich people rarely do time.

And if there's one thing nearly all Americans agree on, it's that ex-presidents are adorable.

InTheSun and JohnR repped this.
  3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus unless someone from the very left in the democratic party wins election in 2020, he will be pardoned (for federal crimes).

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he be? Even if a "centrist" Dem wins the presidency, why would they want to pardon the asshole who caused such a mess that it will take decades to undo? Partisanship aside, when all this comes out, I think we'll see even some Republicans who won't take kindly to what this guy has done.

History will not treat him kindly. Nixon will look good by comparison

xtomx repped this.
  5. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You dared asked this question. I just assumed the poster started his day-drinking early and tried to ignore him.
    The only prediction I'm making is that Netanyahu (sp?) gets indicted before Trump.

superdave and bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd trust Kamala Harris over Bernie Sanders to do the right thing

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Nixon ALREADY looks terrific by comparison.

taosjohn repped this.
  8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can say that about pretty much any ex-president:

"Sure, Woodrow Wilson was one racist mofo, but he wasn't as bad as Trump" or
    "Sure, George W Bush started a war under false pretenses that killed thousands of people and created an unstable region that created serious terrorism, just so his buddies at Halliburton could get rich and to make his daddy proud, but he wasn't as bad as Trump."

This works for any of them, from the misogynistic Martin Van Buren, who just looooved hisseff some ladies to the totally in-charge, git-r-done Millard Fillmore, to that lyin' sack o'shit, Abe Lincoln

9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I think a year from now...his campaign quid pro quo collusion with the Saudi’s will end up being a way bigger deal than those with Russia....which will make his Khashoggi reaction look that much worse in retrospect.

He will be too toxic to pardon....even for a Republican anywhere left of a Nunez type.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For "the good" of the country or something about "healing old wounds". I fear that a centrist democrat would think that he could fix the bipartisanship with a pardon and that Republicans would then help to run the government in a professional matter.

This is one of the few places where I would trust a more left wing democrat over a centrist democrat.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're looking at ideology too closely, at the expense of all other factors.

My Sanders-v-Harris comparison wasn't random. Bernie's whole approach is to try and win back the White Working class, and that's led him over and over again to soft-pedal his approach to Trump voters (versus Trump himself). That's the base he's trying to win; that's the constituency he's hoping to ride to the Dem nomination and then the WH.

Harris, who represents a very different constituency, does not have Sanders' motivation to play nice with the Trump base.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally do not think Harris is too lefty, maybe I just do not know enough about her, but I know she takes some shit from some lefty groups for her career as California AG (maybe it was her San Fransisco DA days).

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was my point--Sanders is far more Left than her, but I would trust her to hold Trump accountable more than him.

She's pretty "liberal" in the standard Democratic party way, but by the standards of the economic-left she's pretty "centrist."

14. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The only Democrat living that fits this description is Lieberman and he is not winning any Democratic primaries.

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    He's busy trying to smooth things over for ZTE in the US.:x3:

16. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not many self-described "centrists" in the party, maybe, but a lot of these labels are in the eye of the beholder. Everything's relative, etc.

17. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I believe there are a good many Democratic centrists. What I don't believe is that these or any other Democrat would be willing to pardon Trump.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #518 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Dont want any Democratic prez following this yutz to say "we must look forward not back" Can look forward & back

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed--I just meant that there aren't many Dems who literally label themselves "centrist."

"Moderate" maybe.

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    [​IMG]

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  21. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Serious question: would the GOP even want to pardon him? With all of the possible angles consider there will be unpardoned folks queued up for trials in all sorts of matters related to his dealings and the election, not to mention state trials. If you’re a Senator from IA, do you want face re-election in 2022, 2024, 2026 if there are trials every 6 months for years revealing another aspect of how awful our Tangerine in Chief after he’s forgiven if his federal sins.

I realize that voters have short memories, but MAGA could very easily jump the electoral shark for even the base by then. I figure by 2022 there’s a fair chance a decent number of voters across the political spectrum will be down with eating the rich of both parties. With each successive trial, do you want to remind them, “Yeah, we’re the party that let this guy go.”? Wouldn’t it be easier to play the “he fooled both us and the American voters, shame on him” angle and wash your hands of him?

They’d pay an early price, but it’s a political tourniquet.

22. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    and there is your answer. Early is the only time that exists in American politics. Long-term is nine months from now.

23. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Yeah. That's the default setting. But if there's ever a time to cut and run, maybe it's with a guy who may be tied to money laundering, FCPA violations, soliciting and coordinating with a high profile "adversary" to influence an election, and on and on and on. That's not the kind of news I'd want to be dealing with on an ongoing basis if I had any ambition of running for POTUS or a Senate seat someday. If you're Pence, why would you? Or if Pence goes before Trump, is there any way the House is going to approve someone who would be likely to pardon Trump? Let's say Kasich would actually accept the position. Why would he pardon Trump? In what universe would it make sense for the people closest to the decision pardon Trump?

24. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The memory of the American people is short. The last time a President pardoned someone the party that he was a member paid a price for one term. If he had ever been elected President he might not have paid that.

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Cohen's got checks for Stormy payments.

So we got 'em, right?

sitruc and American Brummie repped this.