The Impeachment Pool

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by American Brummie, Mar 30, 2017.

Tags:
?

On what day (of the month of which year) does the U.S. House of Representatives vote - on the floor

1. On or Before January 20, 2018

8.7%
  2. On or Before January 20, 2019

23.9%
  3. On or Before January 20, 2020

10.9%
  4. On or Before January 20, 2021

7.6%
  5. None of the Above - Donald Trump finishes out one or two terms of office

48.9%
  1. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, out of curiosity, what do you guys have to hate on Pence for? (I mean, besides the obvious) Or do you think he will go down with the ship as well?

We all know hate is what drives our political thought process. So is it simply his association with Trump, his limp-wrist :)D) appearance, religious devoutness, hatred of gays...

What do we hate the most about the man that comes after the man?

2. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Well, you noted the 'hatred of gays'. Theres one. His cancellation of a needle exchange causing an AIDS spike in Indiana is another. He subsumes common sense to his dream of Christer-Sharia. Small amounts of research for accuracy could really flesh this out but theres a start.

3. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two reasons to hate Pence. He claims to be a Christian but supports Donald Trump. Those two things are irredeemably irreconcilable in my eyes. Second, he is obsequious. He will do or say anything to further his own political power.

He did run the presidential transition, so...yeah...

raza_rebel, sitruc, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  4. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice. Glad to see it isn't just Trump you guys hate, gotta keep the ball rolling.

5. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Hate isnt a word used by other than you. Dont attribute to others then argue against yourself. His person, platform and policies would be destructive to America.

Besides. He isnt eligible. He was born in Kenya.

sitruc, ElJefe, Dr. Wankler and 3 others repped this.
  6. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all are gonna have to blow the party up and start over if you're going to salvage the name.

7. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No question. It's not the name I am concerned with, it's the inability for anyone to work together.

I have no issues with impeaching anyone with cause and I certainly am not going to defend Trump on anything, but there has to be a way we can have a difference of opinion without burning each other's house down.

The way people attacked those that didn't even vote for Trump, accusing them of being the reason Trump was elected, shows we have a long, long way to go.

crazypete13 repped this.
  8. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    George Will called him "oleaginous"... :D

xtomx, yossarian and American Brummie repped this.
  9. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    After a brief period of introspection, GOP will rev up the base in 2022 by running against President Harris. ;)

sitruc, song219 and American Brummie repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    First, I do not use the word "hate" very often, and I will not use it here.

As for disliking and, more importantly, distrusting Mike Pence, two things come to mind:

1) Everything you mentioned (religious devoutness, hatred of gays, his bizarre and creepy obsession with avoiding contact with women-that makes my skin crawl, "devotion" to Trump is a better term, no his "obsequiousness" is even better).
    His most famous quote: "I'm a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order." -That is horrifying.

2) Policy:
    a. Pence signed the most abortion-restrictive regulations in the nation.
    b. Pence helped pass one of the nation’s harshest “religious freedom” laws (which have nothing to do with religious freedom, but are legalized discrimination).
    c. Pence is skeptical of climate change
    d. Under Governor Pence, Indiana has diverted $53 million in the past two years from public school to funding vouchers for private schools, including religious schools, and to charter school programs.
    e. Campaign finance records from a 1990 run for Congress show that Pence used political donation to pay the mortgage on his house, his personal credit card bill, groceries, golf tournament fees and car payments for his wife.

11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I may not like George Will, but, unlike Trump, George Will really does "know words. [He has] the best words."

crazypete13, song219 and Val1 repped this.
  12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trump corruption is like War and Peace. You have to take notes or you'll get lost.

Let me remind everyone that Manafort made up a story about plane trouble to get Trump to stay an extra night in Indy, and Pence used that time to sell himself to Trump.

If not for Manafort's machinations Pence wouldn't be VP.

Could be a coincidence.

sitruc repped this.
  13. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    George Will went to an Ivy for his masters & PhD. Unlike Trump he learned while he was there instead of having his father buy a diploma.

xtomx repped this.
  14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #464 Val1, Aug 22, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    This is it for me.

And I say this as a lowercase - f fundamental Christian who has spent a lot of time praying with, and studying with, Capital F Fundamentals and Capital E Evangelical Christians who turned hours and hours of prayer time into diatribes against immoral, unchristian, unrepentant, and debauched egotists, only to find that most of them flipped like fvcking candles in the wind to vote for Trump. I share the same "irredeemably irreconcilable" views as Brummie, but I freely admit to feeling betrayed by my fellow Christians. I long ago ended my association with the Christian Right -- I frequently refer to myself as being a former fellow traveler -- but I am a strong Christian with deep, non-empirical, beliefs. I share a huge swath of my beliefs with these ********nuts on the right and I am embarrassed to have to share the Christian stage as it were with them.

Pence is the ugly ********ing tip of the iceberg. Unlike xtomix, Pence's quote -- I am a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order -- doesn't horrify me. I'm OK with Christian conservatives. I'm not OK with Christians who sell out the words of Jesus Christ for a man so marginal as Donald Trump.

ToMhIlL, raza_rebel, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  15. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am 100% with you on the creepiness of the man.

On the policy points, would you be willing to compromise on any of them? I'm going to bet a, b and c are no's. I would hope there would be a little room for negotiation on the school voucher program.

E isn't a policy position and if true, should be prosecuted. Considering it was 28 years ago, what was the reason for not going after him for this?

16. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree.

I do not consider myself to be particularly religious anymore, after 12 years of Catholic school and sending my daughter to the same schools for 11 of her 12, I have seen the hypocrisy from the inside and the child abuse that seems to be rampant was the final straw.

17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And to add to my and Val's point - it's not the abortion rumors or the affairs.

It's the practice of not paying workers for their labor, for lying to the government, and for treating those not worth a billion dollars as less worthy.

raza_rebel, sitruc, crazypete13 and 2 others repped this.
  18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @stanger

What's your view of Pence, you know as a person? I remember a series of profiles that I heard/read on the guy after he won Trumps' approval, and my general impression was that he was a bit slimy, and a lot of an opportunist, who had no experience in government.

But you've seen him first hand. What's your impression of him?

19. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point, they're gonna pivot to thinking about covering their asses in 2020 and beyond. One would think.

20. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in Ohio, not Indiana, so I have no first hand info, just what I see on TV.

He is an odd person and, coupled with his dedication to his faith, makes me distrust him.

I look at the majority of the devoutly religious people that are caught with hookers, kids or otherwise proven to by hypocrites, and you can usually tell there was something that made them a little off. Just sets off red flags.

That's how I feel about Pence.

ToMhIlL, Boloni86, Nostradumass and 3 others repped this.
  21. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Geeze, that was a helluva brain dump on my part. I knew both parts of that equation separately, but throw in some confusion in the background here, and I conflated Ohio and Indiana. Maybe I need to get off line....

stanger repped this.
  22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Like there's a difference ;)_

sitruc and chaski repped this.
  23. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is silly.

sitruc and xtomx repped this.
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To get back to impeachment...if either Cohen or Manafort can show Trump involvement with the email hacking, that's going to be something that will disturb many, many Republican senators. I mean, Rand Paul and Mike Lee and some other clowns will be unperturbed. I suspect that if the evidence is strong enough, both NC senators would vote to impeach.

That's the Sword of Domacles, or at least the main one, hanging over this presidency. He's put so much stock in the "no collusion" talking point that collusion would be a crushing blow.

OK, I get it, we already "know" he colluded. But if we can remove the quotation marks, I think he'll only hold on to the deadenders.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    How many of them are disturbed will be dependent on how the midterm elections go.

ElJefe and Auriaprottu repped this.