The IG report

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Jun 14, 2018.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their report was not as good as the analysis on the Politics podcast.

sitruc repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, what is in the other 450 pages of the report?

Dude, there is a ********load in that report.

Most of the stuff I have read, in the MSM, has indicated that Comey did ******** up Clinton's bid.

But you also seem to have forgotten that both Clinton and Comey have come out with books since the election, specifically on the election. This report is also on the election. You may loath the MSM, and I don't expect CBS, ABC, or NBC to be very dynamic, but the rest I do expect. For example, CNN has these three stories up right now:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/15/politics/donald-trump-fbi-james-comey-mueller/index.html
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/politics/takeaways-ig-report-comey-fbi/index.html
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/politics/comey-emails-ig-report/index.html

All are critical of Comey and talk about the problems facing 45, all from stuff in the report.

The Comey stuff is going to be the headline because it has been litigated over and over and over. The rest of the stuff, not. For example, did you know that Comey used a gmail account to conduct official business? I didn't. It will take a day or more to get stuff out there, but something will catch that is not a Republican talking point.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because you asked...

Obama should never have used drones in Yemen.

Carry on.

4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The real headline from the past 24 hours is Rudy demanding the Mueller probe be terminated because reasons.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Word!

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don’t know why you are being so confrontational here. Have you developed some kind of trust for the MSM in the last two years?

You will read the whole report, most of us here will learn the basics of it, but the MSM and the WNM will handle it as they usually do (i.e. #benghazi and #heremails).

Just what the GOP needed Before November...

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. I'll play.

What do you think of the IG report? As someone who is neither a GOP or a Dem, you have a unique perspective.

9. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I think, at first blush, Matt Welch probably has it mostly right. Ya know, thus the post on the first page.

Moreover, it seemed to play out in miniature (on the on hand, by the TPM gloss-over you posted, on the other hand - and in exquisite caricature - by dapip's hair-on-fire pre-emptive outrage) within a few posts.

Sure, Matt's not exactly going out on a limb, but that's in a way the point.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I may summarize Matt.

1. Comey f'ed up.
    2. The FBI wasn't out to help Hillary. (It would be better if Matt had pointed out that Strzok was investigating HILLARY, not Trump.)
    3. Both sides do it.

I didn't quite understand the journey from 2 to 3.

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You don't have to. It's a state of mind. And it applies to everything.

1. Reps or whoever fvcks up.
    2. Evidence shows that Dems are right (or at least not particularly wrong), and Reps fvcked up.
    3. #bothsidesdoit.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I don't see how you think I'm going to be able to help you, particularly as your premise is conveniently set up with only one conclusion in mind.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, you've posted the link, so anyone can decide for themselves where the truth lies.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    By jove!

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is stupid for so many reasons:

1. It's the Trump presidency, the clusterfvck moves close to the speed of light. NK summit is already in the past. We have no chance than to analyze things as they come, since tomorrow we'll very likely have another headliner.

2. You are telling me that I'm wrong on my take, for not looking at context. The context is that because Comey messed up, we have Trump, and because of the IG we might have him permanently. What other context should we look at it from?

3. Your last sentence makes no sense. Off course the IG report is on Comey and it's for internal review purpose, but that does not mean that his actions did not have repercussions in the "real world". He changed the outcome of an election for God's sake. It's like saying that we should not judge Brownie for the internal Katrina memos because those were for internal use memos. Brownie fvcked up Katrina response and the memos prove that he was not as concerned with helping people in distress, but in looking fine while doing it.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Someone bring an extinguisher and a fire blanket, stat.

18. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course you think that. :rolleyes:

We have plenty of time to analyze. We do that all the time, we have several threads on the analysis. There are many news sources with reporters going deep.

Yes, I am telling you that, because you are expecting something that would not happen.

But that is not what you are saying. You are saying that when Bush said "Heck of a job, Brownie," the media should not have reported that and reported other things instead.

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Manafort to jail, Cohen to sing, Trump demanding Tribute and Respect, Mattis contradicting him, migrant children separated, immigration bill killed, Obamacare sabotaged again...

Can you tell me what am I expecting?

That's not what I said/mean. What I said is that instead of focusing on how Comey's press conference affected the election, knowing that Trump was also under investigation, the MSM and the WNM will rather focus on all the wrong things done by Comey and how Hillary was under investigation. By framing the issue as Comey/Hillary they will effectively give Trump and the GOP an edge in November.

sitruc and Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, so any other bullet points in what is on the IG report says.

BTW that Christiano Ronaldo guy is pretty good.

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you’ve been following the news and wondering how the IG report handles the allegations that the NY office of the FBI was out to get Hillary, leaked, and likely intimidated Mueller into his actions regarding Weiner’s Laptop

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/a-deep-and-visceral-hatred-the-timeline

Josh has some other posts. He tl;dr is that the IG report didn’t really look into it very much.

The bad thing for the country is that if the Dems take the House they’re going to investigate this, and their investigation will be insanely politicized by the GOPs (we know) and maybe/probably by the Dems. The IG could have cleared that off the table but he failed.