The Gyasi Zardes thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Sep 11, 2014.

1. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    It's the wrong player. That's all he's salty about. He prefers being "right" as opposed to players proving him wrong(which will never happen).

2. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    I like FJ as much as the next guy but FJ hasn't played as well for the NT as Zardes has. Whether at FB or at mid or wing. He's overrated much of the time outside of the WC, where I think he was great.

juveeer repped this.
  3. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Nope. You're just bad at objectively judging players because all you have are preconceived notions about what you will see and focus on that only, regardless of what's shown. You brush aside opinions and issues that people have with players you like, like Agudelo, Trapp, etc and repeatedly brush aside opinions that don't agree with yours in regards to players you dislike as well. I don't know why you post if you're not actually open to discussing the player and what he brings. You think you're right, perpetually and it doesn't lend itself to any type of discourse. Just a lot of people talking in circles because you're a child with his fingers in his ear saying "lalala I can't hear you".

4. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He's played further below his higher capability but I would not go that far unless the current trends for both stay where they are.

5. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Fair but personally I don't think FJ has been as good as Gyasi when he's been in midfield. He just plays below what he does for BMG. I can see what you mean though.

6. 360show

360show Member

Jan 28, 2016
    You're the same guy who wanted to see packwood on the World Cup squad, right? Lol

7. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is true, that's pretty damning.

And for anyone who hasn't yet given Zardes his due, you've missed his last couple years. Yes, his touch sucks, yes his decision making in the final third is sometimes lacking; but he plays at intensity for 90 minutes, never takes plays off, is big enough and fast enough to pressure defenders, makes good runs, and can connect with his teammates pretty well in the build-up. He can finish and seems to be improving. His ceiling is not super high-- I'd put him at Championship level, but he's maximized what he's had and works his tail off. This is more than we can say about some other forwards and wingers in the group.

tomásbernal repped this.
  8. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Seems like it.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/will-packwood-at-birmingham-city-fc.1100861/page-11

Read for yourself in this thread. Funnily enough, I was right that he was in contention for a spot in early 2014, and just about everyone else was wrong.

The guy (360show) who claimed that is a troll who got humiliated by me in discussions about Wondo in early 2014. He's taken those discussions personally, and is on like his 100th account stalking me. Sad person, stalks a stranger on a sports forum.

10. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    He was in contention? Where?

You advocated for a player that you self-admittedly had NOT SEEN PLAY to be included in the provisional 30 man roster for the WC. Do you understand how ridiculous that is?

jackiesdad, Placid Casual and juveeer repped this.
  11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all fine and dandy for a squad depth caliber player but if JK continues to use him as a lock starter he's gonna gonna take a lot of heat.

12. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You wanting Packwood in the WC preliminary squad seems like it's only because he plays in Europe.

Why do you hate all of MLS so much? Just because someone's in "Europe" doesn't make them better.

Just weird you don't see your own contradictions. Just a few months ago you labelled anyone who rates JAB over Besler as a Eurosnob, MLS-hater who only believes he's better because he's in Europe. Meanwhile, you wanted freakin Packwood in the WC preliminary camp???

juveeer and vexco repped this.
  13. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair to @ussoccer97531, he is definitely not a eurosnob. His favorite pet players are often MLSers.

justinpaul10 repped this.
  14. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Typical Jond, misrepresenting my opinion. Read the thread. There were a number of options in 2014 for the fourth CB spot. Brooks was the best candidate, but he was also getting injured every week that season. It was pretty much a given (IMO at least) that Brooks would go to the WC, if he was fit. The other options were Goodson, Onyewu, Ream, Packwood. My opinion was that those others are known bad options, so give Packwood a chance before the WC to prove himself, in case one of those players has to be the 4th CB for the WC team. Klinsmann kind of did that, calling him up to the Ukraine friendly, even though I was told that I was crazy to think he was an option. Then some of those that said that started to eat crow. It was all just unimportant discussion as Brooks ended up being fit for the WC, but the point still stands that at the time Packwood was just as good as the other bad options. He was a 20 year old CB starting in the Championship. Same league Onyewu and Ream were starting in. Goodson was never good at the international level.

What does this have to do with the content of the thread though?

15. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    Plays 90 minutes in the Championship after missing most of 2013 with the rest of his minutes in English League 2 and he's somehow "right" for advocating for said player all the while saying HE HAS NOT SEEN HIM PLAY.

Just a cluster******** of stupidity here.

360show, juveeer and Placid Casual repped this.
  16. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny. Someone says "ussoccer97531, you're wrong because xyz, stop acting like a stubborn child and reflect rationally". Then 38 people rep it (and every other similar post), yet he STILL insists he's right on all counts. He's probably got half the board blocked because we're all stalking him. :rolleyes:

gunnerfan7, 360show, vexco and 1 other person repped this.
  17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    tomásbernal and Marko72 repped this.
  18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've gotta be shittin' me. Chest muscle strain? That's clever. He's as good as gone.

19. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Wait. Zardes is about to leave LA for neither of the two two Turkish teams I've heard of?

Probably awesome for GZ. Probably not good for the nats.

20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think this would actually be a pretty interesting move and I'd like to see how Zardes makes such a big adjustment. He works hard and learns well.

21. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doubt the league would let him go after what happened to Castillo.

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1622 gunnerfan7, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    It's true. He has a strain, in his heart... :cry:He's a hometown hero, it'd be hard to move away...

Who knows though, you've gotta think LA would want a pretty penny for him. I don't know if a random club in Turkey could afford him. Trabzonspor aren't tiny, but they aren't Galatasaray, Besiktas, or Fenerbache...

23. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be highly amusing if Arena/Zardes agree to sell him and Gyasi wants to go, but then the cartel steps in and stops it.

I think that's what happened with Castillo. Why else would he have been in Turkey and already introduced? FCD must have given the go-ahead, then the cartel came in and decided again, it doesn't trust MLS teams to run their own business.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened with Castillo? I though 2 mil + 2 mil was already done and dusted?

Is this like the NBA nixing the CP3 Lakers deal?

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Can Trabzonspor be trusted?