The Grove of Cerebral Delights

Discussion in 'Women's Rivalry Forum' started by jocasta, Jul 10, 2010.

1. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    A picture so hot that it's almost non-Cerebral.

2. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Yep its a great photo - it feels like I missed the battle.

3. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Christen Press's latest blog entry on luuuuuuuuuuv and football makes Göteborg feel romantic and has some good warnings for all of us ("But sometimes football's no gentleman"). Seems she's feeling a little extra endorphin-etic after that hat trick against Linköping a while back. (The second part of the entry includes a link to short highlights of that game, including her three goals, if you want to see what inspires her to such heights.)

4. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Best written article ever by a soccer player ever? Its in the right forum.

As a footnote, judging by the date, I think she had just found out she did not make the Olympics roster. I am hazy on this point, not sure if she was with the NJ camp.

5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Was that the May camp (with the game against China)? if so No she was needed for club games. She was in the one in April, IIRC the only full WNT camp she has been to.

6. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    No, the roster is official since a few days ago - http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Womens...ndhage-Names-2012-US-Olympic-Soccer-Team.aspx - you can see that Press is a medical alternate (only - she stays at home unless a player is ruled out due to injury)

7. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Jane Törnqvist retires. Or,

There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream,
    The earth, and every common sight,
    To me did seem
    Apparell'd in celestial light,
    The glory and the freshness of a dream.
    It is not now as it hath been of yore;
    Turn wheresoe'er I may,
    By night or day,
    The things which I have seen I now can see no more.

The rainbow comes and goes,
    And lovely is the rose;
    The moon doth with delight
    Look round her when the heavens are bare;
    Waters on a starry night
    Are beautiful and fair;
    The sunshine is a glorious birth;
    But yet I know, where'er I go,
    That there hath pass'd away a glory from the earth.

–William Wordsworth. 1770–1850
    536. Ode, Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood

Read the whole thing here (http://www.bartleby.com/101/536.html) but that's the best part.

8. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
  9. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    This thread's been quiet for a while, but fortunately, something Cerebrally Pleasing has recently happened.

Weltmann repped this.
  10. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    What an interesting thread :D

Well then let me contribute in my small little way.

Oh Silvi,oh Silvi, why cant you see,
    [​IMG]
    Conny Tor Pohlers shoots goals every week,
    [​IMG]

instead you still called up the old Frankfurt 11,

its 2013 not 2007.
    [​IMG]

Remember what happend at the last World Cup,
    [​IMG]

after Onkel Zwanziger gave you the BIG BUCKS,
    [​IMG]

you thought that no one would see what is wrong,

you blamed a young striker for all the teams faults.
    [​IMG]

Frau Neid, you once jumped over your shadow, I give you a hint,
    remember the greatest German goal scorer not named Prinz.
    [​IMG]

Call up Conny and let the best players storm,
    [​IMG]

and while you at it call back the greatest joker, who deserved to play more
    [​IMG]

mumf, jocasta and Micol repped this.
  11. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    The assist of the year for the league, surely! She takes a spinning ball out of midair, with her right foot mind you, under pressure, not even looking, directs it perfectly with her heel around her defender, out of reach of the other defenders, right into Müller's path... Well, what can I say, I have a long record of valuing a perfect assist over a goal, purely on aesthetic principles. And this assist was an absolutely prize specimen.

See this glorious contribution to Football at about 1:15 into the clip.

Weltmann repped this.
  12. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
  14. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    I don't know where else to post this, although I wouldn't exactly call it a "delight". :rolleyes:

UEFA.com has interviewed OL's Swiss international Lara Dickenmann about the upcoming U17 Euros in Switzerland next week.

Girls with long hair playing? That's all she can think of? :eek: (In the German translation they left out the bit about North Korea, which is probably just as well.)

15. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012

She sounds like an airhead. I bet she wish she could play like this girl with the short hair.
    [​IMG]

16. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    I expect kickinthehead in any time now.

17. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Ripped from Very Serious Discussion upstairs, about the French National team.
    With the proper mindset, one can make the putting together of Ikea furniture seem quite sexy. See that very first page of every Ikea "How To" manual, in which the one cartoon human is confused and questioning the very purpose of life? Just pick up the phone and talk to someone, and suddenly the cartoon human is happy! In the very next panel, the cartoon human is shown by itself, sad, alone, with broken bits of drawers scattered about. But all that the cartoon human needs to do is call a friend, and then everything goes much better with two.

And that's just the first page advice. We'll just stop there, before getting to the detailed instructions for assembly, which could occasionally be interpreted as downright lascivious.

(Of course hereabout people buy their Ikea furniture in bulk, when they move into a new place, and this involves lots of people coming over and having a screwing party, but that's a topic that's been covered elsewhere I believe.)

Anyway, football's the same. The devil's in the details, and the details are more fun when shared with others of a similar mindset. De gustibus non est disputandum.

jocasta, who's very proud to have recently put together an entire bed (with drawers mind you), with only one wood screw and one bolt left over at the end, which is a personal best.

gricio61 and JanBalk repped this.
  18. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

19. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Well... I can't say that the connection between this and Wordsworth or Törnqvist is immediately transparent to me... unless you're making a subtle reference to the fact that not many know how Törnqvist sounds because she's very very quiet? Or maybe you're saying that she's one foxy lady? (You'd get a lot of agreement on that, I'd bet.)

Still, entertainingly weird and funny, and even vaguely seasonally-appropriate, as the video is kinda Halloween-y.

20. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't remember why exactly I posted it because I just came home from a night out drinking with that song in my head. I think I found the poem kind of corny, so I countered corniness with that damn annoying song.

21. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I have it on good authority that the fox song is being used to torture 6th-grade teachers all across the globe, even in remote backwaters like northern Alabama. So yes, it's catchy. Blame the Norwegians. Jachachachachachachow...
    Corny? Corny? My dear Sir/Madam, this is Wordsworth, and this poem is far beyond any such base description – it is the ultimate in overwrought bombast, and therefore perfectly suitable for describing one's angst and sadness and conviction that Life Is No Longer Worth Living when a beloved football player retires!

22. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

23. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    Anyone on Twitter? Take a look at the hashtag #Kunstfussballer and contribute a few women!

24. Micol

Micol Member+

Sep 16, 2008
    jocasta repped this.
  25. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    No, seems like our moods have not been overly celebrealatory recently... so thanks for putting that video here, good idea!