The Green Card Queue: Who Could Be Next?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by BostonRed, Jun 4, 2014.

1. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he isn't eligible for the US hence why he isn't mentioned here so I think you are missing the point of this thread.

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've stayed pretty quiet on this because I created the thread and don't feel it needed much defending. No one is "touting" Rodrigo Salinas for the USMNT except for Rodrigo Salinas. I believe it's important to capture this bit of information and explain what's going on in the situation. I want the thread to be a reference point more than anything.

This thread was created as a collection point. Posters were asking all the time when someone might be eligible for US citizenship. I created the thread to explain the process and to capture possible candidates and the important dates in the process. We were able to track when Nagbe and Dwyer were approximately eligible for the US and explain why other players wouldn't be eligible. I hope this thread eliminates pointless conversations in other threads and makes it easy for someone to get some updated info.

3. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  4. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    What's the update on this kid's citizenship status? Currently playing in the Slovenian league.

5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Juninho is now playing for Tijuana in Mexico, so might want to add him back to the list. He could be a very useful player in certain situations. Certainly better than MB90!

6. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Too bad we missed out on Mac Kandji. He played lights out in MLS cup that year the Rapids won. Currently in the Finnish league at age 34, where has 14 goals in 19 games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macoumba_Kandji

7. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can't become a citizen without moving back to the US. Assuming he retained his Green Card and returns to the US routinely, he would still need to live 2.5 years in the US in a 5 year period (while retaining residency). There was a possibility when he was under 18 and when he still had some of the "physical presence" credit from living full-time in the US, but that window has gone.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming he gets no credit for his previous time on a Green Card, basically 5 years from when he got the new Green Card. So 2023, when he will be 37. That ship has sailed.

9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Rapids greatest moment. An ACL-torn forced own goal in Canada.

10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    How far is Gressel?

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't found anything that says he has a Green Card yet, so at least 5 years (3 if he marries a US citizen).

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Isn't he married to American? Probably I'm mistaken.

13. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see anything online. There are lots of articles about him (and others) needing to get a Green Card, so marriage to a US citizen would probably be mentioned.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    BostonRed repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #990 BostonRed, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Based on a quick internet search, her Yank-ness has pretty much been confirmed. He would be eligible probably early to mid 2022, assuming he stays mostly in the US. [or they could pull a David Regis and she could take a job overseas for an American company -- & instant citizenship for him].

He is almost 25, so he would be about 28 in 2022.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  16. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  17. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Collin is 32 and hasn't been all that great in MLS in a few years... and CB is one of the deepest positions in the pool.

Oh sorry, for a second I thought your posts were serious. Hilarious stuff, keep it up! :thumbsup:

superdave and Android Cat repped this.
  20. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Are we really that deep at CB? Brooks and Miazga are for sure, but after that? A few unproven or older/average players like CCV, Eric Palmer-Brown, Tim Ream, Geoff Cameron, Omar Gonzalez (?!?) etc.

If we had to come up with a domestic roster for a friendly or January camp, there aren't many quality US CB's in MLS. Matt Besler, Walker Zimmerman, Ike Opara, then ?

Only problem is that Collin has been injured the last few years, but hopefully he comes back strong.

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #996 xbhaskarx, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2018
    • Warned for personal attack.
    Aurelien Collin plays for NYRB. He is 32. He has AVERAGED 450 minutes per season over the last two years. He has 5 starts and 350 minutes this year. NYRB is one of the best teams and best defenses in MLS. He has almost zero to do with that. And not because he "has been injured"... on top of all that he doesn't even have his US citizenship. We don't even know that he's trying to get it. And in any case by the time he got it, he probably wouldn't even be good enough for USL.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/players/aurelien-collin

You just listed "CB depth" (Brooks and Miazga), "unproven guys after that" (CCV, EPB, Ream, Cameron), and "domestic roster for January Camp" (Besler, Zimmerman, Opara)... and in NONE of those three lists did you mention THE TWO STARTING CBs FOR NYRB!

No one could be that clueless, obviously you're just going out of your way to name other CBs and not them. Next you would probably have mentioned Jeremy Ockford, or Onyewu.

Aaron Long and Tim Parker are both 25.
    They are NYRB's CBs, lock starters.
    They are both Americans eligible to play RIGHT NOW.
    They have both been called into the USMNT repeatedly for recent camps.

[Personal attack deleted by moderator]

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  22. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    deejay repped this.
  23. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 years from receipt of the Green Card is the standard time to be eligible for citizenship. He received his GC approximately January 2018, so he would be about 28 years old when he could become a citizen after January 2023. He mentions "my family" in the linked article, so I assume he's already married, taking away one path to a quicker US citizenship.

24. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is.
    28 is a bit late, but if Argentina hasn't come calling... and he still plays in MLS. Another year of this and I think he'll get sold, unless he really loves it here.

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's a rare Latin American that throws away a US residency. Say he stays three years total. He can then just maintain a house in the US and declare that his only reason for leaving was job related. By the fifth year he can apply.

mike4066 repped this.