the Gold Cup needs ESPN

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by dundee9, Jun 28, 2010.

1. frankiepop

frankiepop New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Does anyone know the extent that FOX plans to cover the Gold Cup??? Do they plan to cover most of it, just the U.S., or only the quarter, semi and finals...????????????? Any schedule or details?????

2. frankiepop

frankiepop New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Also everyone needs to take this more seriously. The MLS blocked certain players from participating in CONCACAF competition that led to the USA getting a 5-0 beating from Mexico in the final. The MLS really doesn't understand the connection in the U.S. Mens success and their ticket sales? The international competition is driving American interest more than any other happening. This was a major reason Klinsmann turned down the position to coach the American team. The American team needs the experience.

3. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    1st

not to go off topic but i think concacaf & conmebol need to get together a make this thing 1 big gold cup. that will gives teams like Guadeloupe a chance to play against some of the top players outside concacaf seeing that they can't take part in the worldcup qualifying. also you can only watch mexico vs the U.S in the finals so often before you get bored... i mean if you look around the net almost everybody already has the thinking that its a mexico/U.S final...when something is that predictable it becomes boring after a period. a concacaf & conmebol gold cup means a more competitive gold cup.

2nd

once the concacaf & conmebol gold cup is establish the gold cup needs any network that will broadcast their games worldwide. thats the only way this thing will grow in popularity. i don't care which network it is but they need worldwide broadcasting for every game. i mean how can you have the gold cup in the U.S and have FSC and other network based in the U.S only showing a couple games :(

they need ESPN OR ABC.

4. RJD22

RJD22 Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Worldwide? It doesn't mather if ABC, NBC and Fox have the rights for the Gold Cup, since they only have the rights to broadcast games in the United States. If you want people to see it Europe? Then CONCACAF/CONMEBOL would have to sale the rights to a foreign network. Now, if you're talking about broadcasting the Tournament in its entirety in the States? Then that's a different story.

5. mikeyjames

mikeyjames Member

Jun 20, 2009
    people keep talking about it because they want to see a more competitive gold cup and not a predictable one with a repeat finals every gold cup....do you really want to see mexico vs the U.S 7 gold cup in a row ? the last gold cup finals was not even competitive. even as a mexican supporter you have to get bored of this after a period of time especially if mexico is winning 5-0. there is just not enough quality teams in concacaf to make this cup really exciting.

6. frankiepop

frankiepop New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    no i don't. but i still enjoy watching much of the gold cup competition. For example, I think Honduras and Costa Rica really field excellent teams that are wonderful to watch.

i suspect the USA will have to work to defeat Guadalupe in Kansas City too.

7. frankiepop

frankiepop New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Still hoping for a response

Does anyone know the extent that FOX plans to cover the Gold Cup??? Do they plan to cover most of it, just the U.S., or only the quarter, semi and finals...????????????? Any schedule or details?????

8. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think we'll get an answer to that until May.

9. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That sounds like a stupendous idea. It's a win-win for both sides, really. CONMEBOL only wants Mexico in its tourneys for the money it makes off us, I don't see why this can't work. Rotate the tourney every four years, where a country from each federation would get it on an alternating year.

I tend to watch these things in spanish broadcasting, most of the time I prefers the commentators (although, Univision ones are terrible). If ESPN ever gets this, it would be great, because Deportes would hopefully get it (maybe). I'm more than willing to bet that FSC does not get first round coverage. I think most of the broadcasting rights to this thing belong to Univision, actually, or is that only in Spanish?

10. MexicanTeams

MexicanTeams New Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    no, what this gold cup needs its to be hosted outside the USA so so they no longer get all the advantages

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not going to happen anytime soon until a country actually asks the CONCACAF to host it.

And it is not like it is all that much of an advantage. In some ways it is a disadvantage.

12. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I agree, and the worst part is that it is a catch 22. Because the Gold Cup has no prestige at all, no country is really interested in fighting for it and it ends up by default in the US everytime. And because no self respecting regional tournament is held in the same country everytime, the Gold Cup has no prestige.

If concacaf was serious about elevating the Gold Cup to a more prestigious tournament, it should start by pimping it out to other countries and make it worth taking on the challenge.

Huh? How's so?

13. frankiepop

frankiepop New Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    i agree the GC needs to move, and i can't believe that mexico wouldn't want the gold cup, and that it wouldn't b a hit in mexico? but i dont know...regardless mexico has to be the favorite. that seems so strong right now, no matter who shows from the USA.

anyway, is the USA bringing its A team or some D squad. in 2009 the MLS blocked the stars from going & the USA took 5 to 0 beating from mexico.

here's some of the allstars american names off that 2009 team.... Heath Pearce, Troy Perkins, Clarence Goodson and Michael Parkhurst

the USA really needs the experience to prepare for the world cup. the MLS shoots themselves in the foot. that usa team can build more interest in MLS soccer than any other entity or event. I hope the MLS plays ball! certainly, the MLS ruined the 2009 gold cup and damaged the USA team immensely.

Like many national soccer organizers, the MLS are such a bunch of tards.

14. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the Gold Cup four years ago, the U.S. brought its A squad, since that was the one that qualified you for the Confederations Cup. Same goes for 2011.

In 2009, the U.S. was playing two tournaments, the Gold Cup (the second since the World Cup was held), and the Confederations Cup.

The U.S. chose to prioritize the Confederations Cup, correctly so.

You insult the MLS leadership for not wanting to lose the players they pay for two tournaments in the same summer.

If I'm a season ticket holder for an MLS club, why should I support my team losing star players for two whole months plus?

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Well The US playing in stadiums with fans booing them and throwing beer at them is not really much of an advantage. True it is still US soil but no one wants to play in front of 90,000 crazy hostile fans jeering and whistling your every touch on the ball. (Assuming the USA plays Mexico in the Rose Bowl of course.)

16. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    How lame are US fans that they allow this to happen in their stadiums?

17. Handsome Solo

Handsome Solo Member+

Mar 24, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Pretty ********ing lame my friend.

I think we have touched upon the Gold Cup needs to move argument enough. This thing needs to move to every 4 years. Can you imagine the backlash any club would receive if they said no to a player participating in Euro Cup?

MLS says no to sending some of the local players to 2009 edition of this thing and no one even cares.

18. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    espn3 would be the only option like with the U-20 games. No one cares about the Gold Cup and CONCACAF. It doesn't matter what CONCACAF, FIFA, or ESPN do to promote it, in the end it is still a confederation with two average teams at the top and only one of them has a big fan base. The rest of the nations are pretty much nothing on the world stage. Euro Cup and the World Cup are worth showing because those tournaments actually have a strong field of teams for the most part that people want to watch.

19. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's the exact same thing.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    But This is our Confederation on our soil. That is something ESPN can market... ...a connection to the people and the homeland. People watching ESPN are familiar with the stadiums and the towns, and this would be a good opportunity to show that there is a soccer culture here and a fan base within a soccer environment. Remember all the sob stories and cutsie cultural pieces ESPN did on Africa in the WC? Well they can still do fluffy stuff like that but with a local twist. If they had the Tournament this year they could have done a story on Detroit and how it is hosting a major competition for the first time since World Cup 1994 (Along with focusing on the socio-economical factors that make Detroit Detroit.). They could talk about how Tampa is going to host a Major Soccer event for the first time in history. They could talk about Kansas City's new beautiful soccer facility. They can have people at soccer bars across the nation acting crazy and talking about Gold Cup Memories and favorite goals. Thy can do stories about youth soccer teams and pub teams in the areas and such. The posibilities are endless if they just gave it a chance.

Plus a tournament having Mexico always makes money in advertising.

21. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    They showed all of those sob stories because it was the World Cup, a sporting event that people actually care about. The fact is there is nothing exciting about the Gold Cup to neutral fans, or a lot of soccer fans. No one wants to watch two small islands that are hard to find on the map play against each other. There are a lot of players that most people have never heard of that are playing on these teams. The only two senior squad men'stournaments that are worth investing in for ESPN are Euro Cup and the World Cup. No one cares about the rest of them. CONMEBOL is nothing either except for Brazil and Argentina.

Does the Gold Cup even make a profit?

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

Well I believe part of the reason no one cares about it is because ESPN does not care about it. If you take a look at this year's tournament though you can't deny the fact there are some intriguing story-lines. Mexico facing their old coach Lavolpe. USA playing Canada on the "Border". Honduras and Guatemala facing each other in the Home depot center in a Central American battle. Even those small island nations you make fun of have some intriguing story lines. Jamaica and the Spice Boys of Grenada can be competitive if both squads bring their best possible Euro based players. Then you have a team like Guadeloupe that can be a Cinderella story they talk about.

Now I am not saying the tournament will be a great ratings blockbuster for ESPN in the summer but I do believe it can be comparable to the Confederations Cup, Womens World Cup or Under 20 World Cup as long as they market it wisely and treat it with respect.

23. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    ESPN doesn't have much to do with it. People were interested in watching Euro Cup in 2004 before ESPN started showing it in 2008.

Canada puts hockey first and the USA puts football first thus, USA vs Canada in the Gold Cup = no big deal.

As for Honduras vs Guatemala, that is two more nations that Americans don't care about. The game will be shown on a Spanish language channel, so their fans can enjoy it. There is no reason for ESPN to invest in the Gold Cup, Copa America, African Cup of Nations, Asia Cup, or South Pacific Games. There just isn't enough interest in those tournaments. As for the U-20 World Cup, last time it was shown on ESPN3 except for the USA games. The USA didn't even make the tournament this time, so it will probably only be on ESPN3

24. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So what you are implying is that netwroks drive the market and not the market drives programming? Doubt it. They show NASCAR because there is no shortage of rednecks, instead of the situation being that rednecks appered out of the woodwork after NASCAR got mainstream. Like someone said, people already were insterested in Euro/WC.

They are just not insterested as much in the GC, at least not what ESPN thinks is a good market for their advertisers. And while some good promoting could be done, the responsibility falls little on ESPN.

Why does everything have to be a soap opera to be appealing? Is making a Novela marketing it wisely and treating it with respect, people just are not that into it.

/p

25. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Well said. It actually works the other way. It is the interest in the sport that creates the off the field soap operas. For example, about 7 years ago I heard something about a cheerleading squad using steroids. The radio talk show host was laughing at how this problem had even made it into cheerleading. I have never heard anything about it since. On the other hand, there is always talk about steroid use in the sports that people actually care about.