The Gold Cup Champs Mexico vs Gold Cup Losers Los Nads (9/6/2019) Jersey

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by sidspaceman, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Who knows? I'm simply stating that the data doesn't back up the claim that we get better or worse as CONCACAF opponents get better or worse.

2. chiva_guero

chiva_guero BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 4, 2007
    Mexico NSR
    Any data on European/CL experience and its impact available?

Only reason I bring it up is that it's been gospel here that experience against better competitors in competitions that matter is key to long term success.

Hard to see how the principle wouldn't apply to regional play if it is true

sidspaceman repped this.
  3. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think @chiva_guero is right about what leagues they play in... One only spends so much time with the NT... They spend the majority of their time playing with their professional teams and the level of the leagues they play in as well as the quality of instruction on professional teams matter...

LGRod and sidspaceman repped this.
  4. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    The results don't tell us that either. European football is creating better individual players but it hasn't led to better WC results, yet.

5. chiva_guero

Jun 4, 2007
    Mexico NSR
    yeah, this was sort related to the logic

is it that NT play is not relevant to NT capabilities and club play is where players need to get growth experiences?

or does that correlate at all?

just an interesting thing about perspectives

LGRod, sidspaceman and Kaney repped this.
  6. Kaney

Kaney Sleeping Dragon
    Staff Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Lake County, IL AKA Southern Wisconsin
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think it has, just not for us. I don't have hard data on this but the teams that are in the finals and semis in most WCs seem to be the teams with the most players in big teams in the biggest leagues in Europe.

7. chiva_guero

Jun 4, 2007
    Mexico NSR
    Last WC CL participation strongly correlated for teams in the semis, at least.

I remember being surprised by Belgium and Croatia, but their players were well represented across CL participating teams

If regional play has nothing to do with team growth, people can stop going on about CONMEBOL :)

Kaney and sowrong repped this.
  8. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    If I had to guess I would say a stronger indicator of world cup success is player access to playing champions league football rather than regional conference strength.

9. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'd argue Mexico underperforms/ struggles when Concacaf Is better

10. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Without competition, it will be slower to grow, I grew up watching Mexico walk over the region and then get a wake up call at the WC... granted there were probably less meaningful friendlies outside of concacaf, and of course little to no Euro presence, but still, you grow complacent, it happens in all disciplines.

/p

LGRod repped this.
  11. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    It might benefit from getting an easier qualifying road but overall the fact is the majority of the countries will only do so much at their best. The other 2 are sleeping giants, one of which (along with China) can reach the potential to become a powerhouse and leave Mexico in the dust. So there is no benefit at all for Mexico to get better and merging or participating in CONMEBOL is a bigger thing.

As for European teams, that is the key for Mexico and what I think they should strive for because as others have mentioned, club play is where the real development make thru. People in Mexico sometimes have a skewered idea of it not growing because Mexico has kept at the Round of 16 but it's because they act like the fans in the US and think everything revolves around them. As if Mexico was the only team that is sending players to europe and has grown because of it. They should look at the squads of other South American teams in the 94 and 98 World Cups to say that everybody was in a similar boat. If Mexico went back to an all Liga MX team, it wouldn't be qualifying out of the group stages.

sidspaceman repped this.
  12. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    The competition is with other NT's and European experience not with CONCACAF. Central American and Caribbean teams will only grow up to a point. And if the United States soccer grows, Mexico will be left in the dust. There are things Mexico can't compete as a nation with and if MLS grows to the capabilities of their major leagues like the NBA and NFL, Mexico wont be able to grow close. Mexico has to forget about CONCACAF and look to other regions (aka South America) and their own players to do so. Looking at CONCACAF will be like jumping into quicksand for Mexico.

13. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    if MLS ever becomes a top league it won't be on the back of american players, even now they are outnumbered by foreigners 60-40, the more the league grows the less they are going to play. Actually the more they grow the more likely is for we to see more and more mexican and other latin american players moving there

LGRod and VBoots10 repped this.
  14. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    None of the major leagues (except maybe the NHL) have an overwhelming foreign presence without a similar block of American players and I doubt MLS wouldn't eventually follow suit.

15. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    none of the sports the US plays is popular on the rest of the planet barring a couple of countries for each sport.

SGuerrilla, Neymadres and DGreat repped this.
  16. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    LOL at Basketball not being popular at the rest of the planet.

17. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    as much as football? not even close

LGRod, sowrong and Athazagoraphobia repped this.
  18. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The quality of a team is determined primarily by the quality of the players. Players are developed by clubs, not national teams. It doesn't matter if CONCACAF sucks if the players are being developed in quality leagues.

19. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I never said as much as football because no sport is. But you did say no sport the us plays is popular in the rest of the planet which is BS.

20. Lukato

Lukato Member+

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    and again, compared to football worldwide it is pretty damn irrelevant.

LGRod, sowrong and Neymadres repped this.
  21. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    By that logic every sport would be irrelevant compared to football. Doesn't change that what you said was BS.

NCCFBALL repped this.
  22. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Yeah, let's hope CONCACAF improves because 2013 was so much fun :rolleyes:

Easy WC qualifying doesn't mean we'd get complacent. While we're stuck in this confed, let's try to steamroll it as much as possible, then re-adapt for the WC, no one's gonna think the competition level will stay the same.

This argument has been shot down in these forums often over the years, yet some keep bringing it up again.

Plexie Potter ass **********s

23. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree with Rafa, you are being ignorant

24. beat junky

beat junky Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    CA
    Gtfo with this BS.

You’ve been saying this for a long time...these are if your aunt had balls she would be your uncle type of POVs.

No substance in your argument of hypotheticals...I’m going to call you Jorge Ramos from here on out.

25. deepspace

deepspace Member+

Dec 30, 2012
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    joined a sunday league team with mijo baysic. Apparently he cant run past midfield, we are working on that.

SGuerrilla, icybauer, Otaku and 6 others repped this.