The Goalkeeping Crisis!

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by delaynomo, Jan 26, 2018.

1. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  2. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    If the defence tightens itself up, Mignolet sudenly looks a reasonable option IMO...i just don't see too many top grade keepers that havn't been snapped up already .....
    we may end up spending a cartload of cash on someone whois just the same.

3. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Mignolet is an average standard Premiership goalkeeper. Which in the larger scheme of things is outstanding.

However, if you want to be a title winning team, every player who is average Premiership standard is dragging you down ...........

4. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Ward getting some more opportunities. Migs won't be around long I would imagine. Cash in on him now while he has some value.

B.A. repped this.
  5. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Rick Parry.

6. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm still blaming Souness.

7. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And here I thought we wouldn't have a crisis today...;)

8. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think it is the other way around. If we had a top keeper, it might actually make our defense look better and more confident.

ryered, B.A. and russ repped this.
  9. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Being a keeper at one point myself, I find it difficult to "lay blame at the keepers feet"...but Migs does not come close to owning his box - not even the goal box, let alone the penalty box...as was made clear in the FA Cup thread, Foster pulled several crosses down and made it look easy...Migs did not make a save in the game, and looked very uncomfortable with any ball in the air, in or around the six-yard box...they even scored (although it was offside) with a floated ball into the box that he flailed at and missed...

So I agree with Suss, although I think Migs is a decent shot stopper, other teams have figured out that he is uncomfortable with a crossed ball...A more confident keeper would likely make our defense look a lot better.

10. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's almost mentally checked out anyway.

ryered and CB-West repped this.
  11. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Kinda seemed that way didn’t it?

12. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CB-West repped this.
  13. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you've been treated this way by Klopp, who wouldn't be?

Changing Migs doesn't come close to addressing this "problem", as I've said for a long time now... it runs throughout the squad. It's not about the CBs or FBs or CMs, it's about the mentality of the squad and a collective lack of any defensive awareness when under pressure, not to mention a manager unable to stop the bleeding, through subs or tactical adjustments, when something does go wrong.

This is just going to continue to happen when you field 2 fullbacks that don't seem to have any idea what they're doing positionally and CBs that can't use their ********ing off-foot to clear a ball coming at them bouncing across the penalty box. David De Gea isn't saving these goals, many of which are being struck from the penalty spot or closer.

Although to be fair, DDG definitely does come for these crosses a lot better.

14. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why should Mignolet feel "confident"? He's been benched by Klopp for (and I think this is being kind) an equally-poor option for many of the more important matches of the season.

CB-West repped this.
  15. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've been a Migs apologist for a long time but I've had it after Saturday. Go back and watch the goal that Worst Brom scored that didn't count (the first time) and you'll see VvD call for him to collect that ball and then he turns around to see that not only had Migs not got the ball but a Brummie had squeezed in a close range header. He was livid. We all were.

I understand that Karius is garbage too but Migs should take every opportunity to make it clear as day that he's head and shoulders above Karius. He didn't do that on Saturday. I wouldn't blame the goals on him though. Can was poor on the first two and Matip needs to do better on the third.

EruditeHobo repped this.
  16. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'm starting to agree with this theory .... He really isn't ever gonna take charge of the area......
    I'd prefer to have him doing a bit of Jerzy Dudek shot stopping in th eCL but at this rate I no longer see it as a benefit....

CB-West repped this.
  17. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    that's how i see it too....

CB-West repped this.
  18. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no question he was absolutely horrible Saturday. He's been broken, he's a different player to the one that was playing well last Spring.

Agreed 100%.

19. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The arsenal goal - yes you know which one - ended my hopes for him.

20. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Or maybe last Spring was a career purple patch and he's not capable of that for any extended period of time?

21. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, we can't rule anything out.

However, the evidence in how he's been treated (IMO) points to one thing more than another. Plus we have past evidence of him getting shook by competition at the position (before eventually righting the ship for himself). And we've seen more than once him have a "purple patch".

Either way we know from the past we have a limited keeper that is too timid in a lot of ways but can be a good shot stopper for stretches at a time. So what should have been the plan in the long term? Get a much better keeper, obviously. But in the short term? Well, Klopp chose to cut his legs from under him instead of seeing what he could do as the number one going forward based on the fact that he got LFC top 4. So instead of having 2 mediocre keepers with at least one feeling confident, we have the same 2 mediocre keepers and they both look like shit and none of them feels like the number 1.

Great plan.

I suppose Klopp would say he expected Karius to emerge as the clear number 1. However if that's happened, it's really only due to Mignolet's collapse and is not a credit to Karius in any way who has also been quite poor. So I'd say this gambit failed outright.

So what's the third option? Is there a third option? Spend funny money on Alisson, I guess? 44M pounds for a keeper.

CB-West repped this.
  22. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Yep - it's quite a mess...and blame goes all the way around...Karius didn't "step up" when given the opportunity...nor did Migs...and Klopp's "rotation" has fallen flat...

Ahhh...so what do they do now?

Score more than the other team!

23. imasyko

imasyko Member+

May 16, 2002
    Spring City, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points...we spend funny $$$ everywhere else, why not keeper?

EruditeHobo repped this.
  24. ryered

ryered Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    Hill Country
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    But, but, but... we've let Coutinho and Sturridge go this window with no replacements. I guess the plan is for Solanke and Ings to become world class for the rest of the season.