THE GOAL: Seattle Sounders MLS kit!

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by GOALSeattle, Mar 27, 2008.

1. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The source is watching these threads and would like feedback about crest ideas and / or changes, too. Let him know your thoughts!

3. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uniform is good. For the badge, and I am asking as an outsider, but wouldn't the inclusion of a Orca (outline or obvious allusion) be a nice nod to history. The badge doesnt have enough character for me.

4. steveoleve

steveoleve Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Quincy, WA
    Not a big fan of an orca idea (I know it's been used in the past), and I think the space needle is a more iconic image of Seattle

5. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Honestly, I am not a fan of the stripes, but can live with em.

Wondering if there is a way to get Chief Sealth featured more prominently on the crest?

6. Ultravolta

Ultravolta New Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Dancefloor
    I really like the nod to history with the inclusion of the four stars and the "74". I'm just not too sold on the striped look though. Anyway, great effort!!! :)

7. Q Exp

Q Exp Member

Jul 29, 2004
    I like the logo and jersey. The jersey isn't just another boring blue or red jersey. I like the stripes because not too many team(s) feature horizontal stripes in the MLS (only Chivas USA). The name and the logo is a nod to the Seattle soccer tradition and these are typical Seattle colors. I like this...

8. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing you guys should know is that Joel actually was working with Seattle MLS in the design process for a while.

He says they have gone with someone else.

But...I think this striped kit is *very close* to what Seattle will be wearing.

About the rest...ready for some scoop?

Seattle's MLS colors will be, according to a source, "like the old Seattle Seahawks colors. Primary green and blue." So say goodbye to 'Sounder blue.' Unless they change their minds.

The source also says he's seen the logos for the name choices.
    He says they are NOT traditional crests, but more like the other league 'logos.' He fears fans shouldn't get their hopes up about the Alliance, FC or Republic 'logo.'

9. ness77

ness77 Member

Jan 11, 2007
    The 2-0-6
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love it. I'd buy that as soon as it came out. One thing, though - I don't know about the stars. History is cool and everything, but those stars are for USL championships, and I dunno if those should be represented on an MLS team's jersey/crest. Save the stars for all the MLS championships we're gonna win!

10. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Neemtree

Neemtree Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always liked a jersey with a collar I understand that its extra weight and cost but all of my favorite jerseys have collars. The Colors are good but I've never been a fan of vertical stripes it there has to be stripe I say horizontal right now the only other team going with stripes are FC Dallas I think. A big part for me would be the shirts sponsor and how that is positioned on the jersey.

12. AvantiUnited

AvantiUnited New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Tacoma, Wa
    not a traditional crest eh... that is a dissapointment. I'd hoped to not have a frolicking cartoon animal of some kind, but a proper soccer crest. Oh well, lets not pass judgement until we see it. I do hope that if Sounders is the choice, that we have something coming that is a little more crest"y" than the current logo.

13. Seattle Dan

Seattle Dan New Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Oly, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the crest isnt that bad. i like the city of seattle seal at the top, that is really classy

stipes- meh, i can live with. drew carey is a barca fan, so i can understand

14. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call on the Barca stripes, Dan. Wouldn't doubt that was a Drew Carey contribution. I think that jersey would look nice with blue shorts.

I think Barcelona has a cool badge, too, so I wouldn't mind seeing some riffs on that.

If the away jersey is white, then I'd like to see blue be a little more dominant in the trim, but definitely with some green in there.

- Paul

15. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. gregro

gregro New Member

Sep 1, 2007
    The Emerald City
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I concur, I like the concept but not the execution. I do like the stripes. The old Seahawk Blue looks similar to what the current USL Sounders shorts look like. I always liked those colors although, I do prefer the Sounder Blue.

17. BROSUF

BROSUF Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm partial to gregro's avatar above left.

Will never happen but thats what I like

The shirt will change over the years... please don't make a yellow one.

18. southsound

southsound New Member

Aug 17, 2007
    North End sec 148
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nice work. I like the stripes because it gives you a option for a 3rd kit. Maybe we could have a Sounder blue jersey for a 3rd kit. The tradition with the crest is nice, but I really like your Juventus style crest. I prefer the space needle in the crest if the go that route.

Joel, they should have kept you working for them. All of your kits you made are great. The fact that you want input is pretty cool. Most people don't like any criticism of their work.

19. SounderMan

SounderMan Member

Nov 8, 2006
    Lacey WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty good looking design. I like the crest with the inclusion of Sealth, 4 stars and '74. I like green and blue in any combination. The new hawks colors took a year or so to grow on me but I always loved the originals. Sounder blue can be worked into merchandise etc. Perhaps an orca of native design instead of a cartoonish style. I'm not much of an artistic design guy so just throwing that out there.

Bottom line........ I'd buy it.

20. Zissou_Society

Zissou_Society New Member

Mar 27, 2008
    The Sound
    Hey everyone, first time postin' here, all the excitement over the voting on the name to keep our Sounders alive has compelled me to register.

Personally, I love the jersey in it's entirety. The green and blue vertical stripes are just perfect, Barca style with a Sounder twist, it's great (plus it combines my two favorite colors, blue and green haha). I really dig the collar as well. I wish they'd go with Sounder blue, but the old Seahawk will do I suppose. As for the crest, I really like it, streamlined, not too busy, nice to see chief Sealth at the top and the '74 below the Sounder name, not sure how I feel about the stars, and the placement of the crest on the jersey seems off, but that's really just a minor gripe. I find the white trim is perfect, and the addition of a silvery-gray trim on the crest is very cool. Overall a truely quality kit, if that's how the final product looks I'll be very happy indeed.

21. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an outsider, so take my opinion with a grain of salt because I won't be buying the jersey or anything, but...

I like the vertical stripe -- more MLS teams should have patterns like that. Not thrilled with the color combo, but it's okay. I do like that Seattle will (hopefully) wear green which is sorely missing from the league.

The crest isn't bad. I love the stripes on the crest -- I think it's really cool when teams have a background on the crest that imitates the uniform. I think having an image of Chief Seattle is great, but it should be bigger and more prominent. I think that's better than having the Space Needle which is a bit overused for Seattle IMHO. Not much of a fan of the stars in general, but if they are used, they shouldn't be in a vertical line, which looks awkward, but maybe more in a row along the bottom of the shield (or following the contour of the shield). Like the use of the date.

Sorry to hear that the other possible crests aren't "traditional". I have worries about that -- on top of a potential bad name, you might et a bad crest too. That's not good. Hopefully, it won't come to pass.

PS: I hope that when everything comes to pass that the alternative choices get released so we can compare/contrast/bitch/breath sighs of relief.

22. MLSinSeattle

MLSinSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    i think the kit would grow on me. im not sure about the stripes but yeah lol. I like the little chief at the top of the crest, but am not crazy about the overall shape and look of the crest. I like the small cheif somewhere though...dont want that too big personally.

23. MLSinSeattle

MLSinSeattle New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Hey if anyone knows anyone who could make more options, that would be awesome. Get some more ideas, see what fans like the most...

24. GMan Eric

GMan Eric Member

Aug 28, 2000
    The Brougham End
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stripes and inclusion of Chief Sealth and (19)74 on the crest get thumbs up from me... execution in the middle doesn't quite do it for me though.

We've never worn stripes so I'd like to see the stripes be a third/change kit.

Though if it comes down to it, I'd rather keep the name and leave the completely new stuff to the kit or the badge

25. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I like this striped jersey way better than any of the choices from Joel/Luminous Creative's previous concepts.