The Future of Gol TV

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by vevo5, Aug 17, 2012.

1. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I would think that if no other providers drop them they would be good. They could probably find some cheaper stuff to add to replace the Bundesliga, although there isn't a whole lot out there. Does anyone know how much GolTV paid for previous round of Bundesliga rights??? Also, did they retain rights in Canada for next round??
    Seems insane to run a channel with just Brazilian, Uruguayan and Mexican 2nd division. Maybe they can use money they are saving on Bundesliga towards regaining English rights to Colombian league and some other South American leagues.

2. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    HomietheClown repped this.
  3. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gol TV has always been a niche channel and I dont think that losing Bundesliga will affect that too much. Adding the Colombian league once again and perhaps a few other B tier South American leagues such as Peru and Chile would not shoot them up meteorically in the ratings but would perhaps sustain them enough to make it through. Perhaps they could work out some type of rebroadcast agreement with T y C Deportes for the Argentine League. Perhaps go after second tier Euro peagues such as Italy Serie B and Spanish Segunda and small leagues such as Scotland and Belgium.

InterFan76 repped this.
  4. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think it would be cool if someone picked up Serie B. Sad that GolTV Canada is done. Hope it doesn't mean the end in the U.S. I love watching Foot Brazil show and Brazilian league matches. If GolTV goes under you think anyone will pick up the Brazilian league?

5. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Possibly Bein Sports would pick it up--they already picked up the rights to Copa Brazil.

6. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Excuse me????!!!!

;) :)

7. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lolz :notworthy:
    Kudos on Copa America :)

InterFan76 and MetroChile repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    With BEIN Sports starting up about 3 years ago I thought GOL TV USA would have been officially dead by now.

They did a good job of trying to keep this coma Network on life support in my eyes.

Time is getting near to pull the plug.

9. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    Not necessarily and here's why: GOL-TV have tapped into the streaming service market with FuboTV. They can get a nice chunk of change from such a service and as long as they do not overpay for rights deals, they could stick around for some time. The streaming system (cord-cutters, IPTV, whatever other name you wish to put to these type of services) is the future (in my opinion) of soccer outside of the "big" competitions. NGSN is a very good example.

As a TV channel, I agree that its hard to see how GOL-TV will be able to function much longer with only Brazilian and some minor South American competitions. The loss of the Bundesliga, while not a huge ratings commodity in itself, did bring prestige to the channel. Not knowing what deal they have with DirecTV and other cable providers that carry them its hard to predict what will happen to the TV channel itself. Cutting their losses in Canada makes sense because the numbers are so small there.

Assuming their advertising revenues are not ideal with the current inventory of leagues and competitions, if I were GOL-TV I would start transforming into a streaming specialty service (South American soccer, Scottish Cup, Portuguese Cup and whatever low lying fruit is available out there). Close the TV channel (again, only if its not profitable) and spread via streaming services. Either way, I have a feeling the next few months will give us a clearer picture of GOL-TV's future.

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

10. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Guess they'll need more male enhancement infomercials:ROFLMAO: I suppose if all else fails they could branch into other sports as the other niche channels have done.......even the all-cricket channel Willow airs field hockey.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  11. Fussballer

Fussballer Member+

Liverpool FC
    Sep 18, 2002
    In my head
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    cough, Setanta sports, cough. GolTV was poorly run and deserves to die. They took my money for too long.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As an INTERNET service they could be reincarnated. But as a TV Network they will be dead as a doornail.

13. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    GolTV should be able to survive in the USA, the problem in Canada was it had to continuously pay for original Canadian programming to have the license to broadcast, which was an additional expense. Goltv USA will continue to pick up the scraps the big boys leave behind.. More power to them, Scottish Cup was a nice bonus this year. Their management structure is better now that they all all left are now are at Bein Sport aka Goltv2.

Cantona---

14. matty311

matty311 Member

Jul 2, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    This arrangement where you were handing cash directly GolTV sounds interesting, do tell more!!!!

15. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    On a serious tip, US Chilean Primera TV rights are split between TVChile and NSGN. Also, you can sign up for Canal del Fútbol streaming.

I remember years back, when Gol first started, they used to show Bolivian footy.

16. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I miss the days of Fox Sports World when they used to show Aussie Rules.
    I also remember following the Scottish league without knowing anything about it and over time rooting for Hearts! :)

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think FS2 has a few Aussie Rules games. You have to look around--and they are live, which means at odd hours. I have seen parts of some matches this season.

In fact, tomorrow from 5:30-8:30 EDT Carlton plays Richmond live on FS2. Go Blues!

18. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    GolTV Canada was owned run by MLSE (Toronto FC's Owners) so you can get what the content is like outside of showing their international matches. It became nothing more than a way for TFC to plug its futility to the rest of Canada.

Such a shame. I liked the BL and Uruguayan coverage and was warming to the Brazilian Leagues. Not a bad investment of $6/month.

MLSE seems more intent on ruining everything that it touches now.

19. john belt

john belt New Member

Jun 24, 2015
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    would really miss my Penarol matches.If Gol would totally shut down.I watch on fubo tv.I could see that continue even if they went off what systems that still carry them in the states.

20. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This might be a dumb question but will GolTv keep the Uruguayan league rights? Hopefully for next season. I want to follow Forlan at Penarol.

21. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, i believe the rights can be had for $1 plus costs of transmission. ;):ROFLMAO:
    Sorry i couldnt help myself--old bigsoccer inside joke there....

22. moutinho777

moutinho777 Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Damn man i forgot all about him hahahaha

Redbullsnation2012 and InterFan76 repped this.
  23. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL!!!!

24. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MetroChile repped this.
  25. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Yea. I know the rights were won by in SA by TyC, the owner of the company is one of the big 13 I believe that were taken down.

Traffic has something to do with the rights too I believe....which was also a big player in the FIFA scandal. Fox I am sure is looking to maybe walk away from it...

I heard GOL TV in SA has been rumored to be looking to take over the Libertadores from Fox.