The Freddy Adu catchall thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Blustar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is Freddy's own explanation, lest we forget . . .

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/66/u...u-takes-full-responsibility-for-disappointing

"I’ve looked back on these past few years and I’ve wasted a lot of time, wasted years of my career, just not dedicating the time I should have to the sport,” Adu said. “That’s time wasted. Lucky for me, I started so early that time wasted doesn’t mean I’m 33 or 34 and it’s too late for me. I’m only 26 and I can change and correct the things I’ve done wrong, and that’s what I’m focused on right now.”

And sadly, this did not end well for the Rowdies, the team that offered him an opportunity, or Freddy.

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    At times like these--the easiest explanation is the likeliest.

For me, seeing him for Portland in his trial, he was sluggish, overweight, and looked to be out of game shape for god knows how long. Same thing in Bahia. He was overweight and I am sure threw the towel in.

Adu is a guy that just doesn't have that chip mentally to go from natural talent to transitioning to the next level that takes actual dedication. Now that he's that much further away from where he used to be fitness wise, mentality wise, he's done. There;s no coming back. He doesn't have the mental discipline to make it work. Shame.

xbhaskarx and The Irish Rover repped this.
  3. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    Yes, he's done, but this thread will never be!

4. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009
    It Lives!! The thread lives!!!!

5. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Personally, I think the simplest explanation is that he's at least in his early 30's. That explains a lot as to why despite claiming to be seriously motivated to fix his career, he physically can't. I know, there's been doctor scans...etc etc... but I'm not saying he's 45, just that he's a older than claimed. If you've played with African players, many will tell you that records aren't always well kept.

The Real Sekrah repped this.
  6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    From people who knew him as a kid, if he cheated with his age it was at most 3-4 years. Cheating by more is impossible when you're that young.

That difference wouldn't explain anything. Even if he were 31 instead of 27, there are plenty of 31 year old players at the top of their game.

And it's not like he's ridden his legs too much, he's barely played anywhere.

7. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the simplest explanation is that he is one of the zillions of teenage star athletes who never panned out as adults.

DHC1, xbhaskarx, Mr Martin and 8 others repped this.
  8. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Be patient.

xbhaskarx, tyguy, Greg Heaney and 5 others repped this.
  9. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    Keep hope alive!

HartwickFan repped this.
  10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4011 xbhaskarx, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Claiming to be seriously motivated?

CLAIMING to be seriously motivated??

I remember after Adu played well at the 2011 Gold Cup, Jimmy Conrad said on some podcast that for the first time Adu looked motivated. He told the story of how Adu got called into national team camp for the first time and was putting in embarrassingly little effort on every front compared to the other players. So he was glad to see Adu had finally turned it around.

That's like when the middle aged overweight slob goes into the gym twice a week through all of January. Surely motivation could no longer be his problem, he's totally turned it around ever since he made that New Years resolution!

People don't really change all that much, they are who they are.

---
    Seriously, you'd think he was the first prospect in the history of sports to not pan out...

12. Aduesque

Aduesque Member

Atlanta United
    May 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it fair to say that he just lost some athletic ability like many others but in his case, since he didn't have good fundamentals that his fall happened far sooner than expected. This happens in Basketball all of the time.

CTS26 and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  13. tyguy

tyguy Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Cheeseland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He didn't? If not, why all the hype? What did he bring that made him the next Pele?

The Irish Rover repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Character. He had all the other fundamentals, but not the will/motivation to maximize his gifts and work out compensation mechanisms for his deficiencies.

Danny Szetela is about the same age and IIRC was a team mate of Fredy on several YNT tournament squads. He also didn't live up to people's (much more limited expectations), not least because Szetela took over 3 years out as his career/personal life hit the skids. Players don't come back to where they were after that kind of a break (Tommy Docherty described George Best as only 75% after 6 months of "retirement") and many never come back at all.

Despite that, Szetela has managed to cut it in the NASL's best squad for four years running. Fredy hasn't manged a full season at any club in the last 4 years. If you're assembling a roster for a new team that's debuting in the second half of the season and both are available, who would you sign ?

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    None of them. Szetela was a super athlete and some athleticism is still remaining, Adu was a subpar athlete
    and now he moves like a proud AARP member, so all his skills are irrelevant.

DisgustinJustin repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Lots of players don't make it in the NBA because of poor fundamentals. So they drop down to a still-good level where their positives are valuable but their weaknesses won't be as exposed. The European B-Ball leagues are full of them.

Which is how Darren Randolph came to be. His dad wasn't up to the grade in America or Spain/Italy/Israel, so he tried Ireland where he met and married Darren's mother. When the money for players left Irish basketball, he stayed in Ireland and became a coach.

17. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Without Further Adu, Freddy Retires."

or

"Freddy bids Adu."

Which one are we going with when the time comes?

Burr, HartwickFan, eric_appleby and 2 others repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He retired for good?

19. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No no no no no.

I'm just planning ahead and there's nothing else to talk about here. Freddy's not even party promoting or vacuuming these days.

bigredfutbol, HartwickFan and Gilma1990 repped this.
  20. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    "God puts a period where Freddy put a comma."

DHC1, bigredfutbol, deuteronomy and 2 others repped this.
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Freddy never says adieu. He only says au revoir - over, and over, and over again

Gilma1990 repped this.
  22. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Much Adu About Nothing?

eric_appleby and Gilma1990 repped this.
  23. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This endlessly repeated cliche needs to be retired almost as badly as Freddy himself does.

24. DisgustinJustin

Sep 26, 2013
    I've never been able to come up with the right description of my play, but I think "moves like a proud AARP member" may have nailed it.

Burr, HartwickFan and butters59 repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's old and tired but I'm sure some here haven't been around for the whole arc of Freddy's career so allowances should be made.

The Irish Rover repped this.