The Fox Soccer Era

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by tsun23, Jul 27, 2014.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It used to be way, way worse a couple years ago when Scottish soccer and some Champions League games were the only thing worth watching.

Now with Bundesliga and Copa Libertadores it is a bit more tempting for me (but still not worth it.)

2. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Looks like only 2 Bundesliga games between FS1 and 2 this weekend. Bummer.

3. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Also no Copa Libertadores, apparently.

4. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's because of the FA Cup. Tottenham, who was third in the 2015-2016 Premier League, has their FA Cup on Fox Soccer Plus while Fox Sports 1 shows another FA Cup game and Fox Sports 2 shows Bayern Munich.

5. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I understand that. Although if they want to grow and popularize Bundesliga, they should put it ahead of the FA cup, not the other way around. Sundays games not available on replays either other than FS Plus.

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Sports 2 will have three Bundesliga games, not two:

Today:
    Schalke 04 vs. Eintracht Frankfurt at 2:30 P.M.

Tomorrow:
    Werder Bremen vs. Bayern Munich at 9:30 A.M.
    Bayer Leverkusen vs. Borussia Monchengladbach at 12:30 P.M.

If Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2 both showed Bundesliga games tomorrow at 9:30 A.M., Chelsea would be on Fox Soccer Plus. Even if Fox makes the Bundesliga more popular, do you think there will be any time within the next ten years that a Bundesliga club other than Bayern Munich would get better TV ratings than Chelsea? Sunday's first two FA Cup on Fox Sports 1 include Watford and three clubs that aren't in the Premier League, but Manchester United plays at 11:00 A.M., which conflicts with both Bundesliga games. Fox Sports 2 is showing an IMSA auto race for 7 hours on Sunday starting at 6:00 A.M. You could argue that Mainz vs. Borussia Dortmund at 11:30 A.M. should get priority over that.

Lovac1 repped this.
  7. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I am not arguing for all bundesliga games to be shown but questioning whether Bundesliga should be relegated behind the FA cup weak games which it obviously is. I understand that Man Utd will get more eyeballs than Dortmund regardless of which team is more watchable now, but the question is should they get more exposure if Bundesliga is your more important product.

Take bein espanol for example on weekends. They will run alaves-leganes or similar even when they have PSG and Juventus playing at the same time with only one game live on english channel. I'm arguing that fox should follow the same model but know that they won't.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not sure BeIN is much better. I mean they didn't even have PSG v Monaco on live, probably the biggest Ligue 1 match in at least 2 years. But of course they have a free (albeit second-rate) streaming service which makes it easier to swallow.

I really hate FA Cup weekends now! Not only is it a weekend w/o Premiership football but the Bundesliga's coverage gets shat on in the process. Its a double-whammy for fans that look forward to watching the top UEFA leagues each weekend! Doesn't help either that FOX just shows the big EPL teams' games in the FA Cup, for e.g. showing Chelsea in the 15h00 GMT timeslot last weekend. :mad:

9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    But that's not really on FOX, is it? Aren't they restricted to what's made available to the international audience by whoever controls the rights within the UK? Or some such like that.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I suspect you're right. Still... it is what it is: FA cup weekends have a crap menu of games across the networks & leagues compared to other weekends.

unclesox repped this.
  11. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The final FA Cup weekend of the season that the Premier League doesn't play on will start Friday February 17. Unusually, the draw did not produce any games between two Premier League clubs. If all the games were available for TV, I would expect Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, and Manchester City to be on Fox Sports 1 or Fox Sports 2. Tottenham could be on one of those channels or Fox Soccer Plus. I think Leicester City (if they win their replay), Burnley, and Middlesbrough will be less important to Fox. Hertha BSC vs. Bayern Munich will be the only Bundesliga game between two clubs in the Top 10 that weekend (although the Top 10 could be different then).

BocaFan repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yes, it was a good FA Cup draw. Not only no all-PL ties, but all top PL teams are playing away. So I'm not dreading the next FA Cup weekend so much.

NorthBank repped this.
  13. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the games are available for TV from here on out. Fox is guaranteed at least 8 per round.

14. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Let's hope there are no car races scheduled that weekend. Otherwise no bundesliga again.

15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fox Sports 1 has NASCAR Saturday at 8:00 P.M. that weekend, so that won't conflict with soccer. I don't know if there is another type of car race they will show that weekend.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As mentioned in another thread...
    ....No more Champions League starting in 2018.
    *Edit

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  18. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am here live with Charles Barkley and Ron Darling filling out my brackets for for the Group Stage of the Champions League. Ron picked Zenit to defeat Barca on the first match day.

[​IMG]

21. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand. Zenit St. Petersburg was in the 2016-2017 Europa League.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is called a hypothetical game of random teams in the future (Turner's coverage starts in 2018).
    A concept that should not be that difficult to understand. :p

BocaFan repped this.
  23. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

EvanJ repped this.
  24. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #574 LaxBandit, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

FOX Sports begins its coverage of the 2017 Major League Soccer season with the league’s two new franchises, Minnesota United and Atlanta United, both making their MLS debuts on FS1 and FOX Deportes.

Coverage begins Friday, March 3 when the 2015 MLS Cup Champion Portland Timbers host Western Conference newcomers Minnesota United. Rob Stone hosts FS1’s first-ever Friday night MLS pre-match show LIVE from a field-level set at Portland’s Providence Park beginning at 9:30 pm ET.

John Strong (Play-By-Play) and Alexi Lalas (Analyst) call the match in English on FS1 with Katie Witham serving as FOX Sports’ new MLS side-line reporter. Friday’s coverage includes an exclusive interview with MLS Commissioner Don Garber.

On FOX Deportes, coverage kicks off at 9:00 pm ET with a special edition of Fox Deportes En Vino. John Laguna (Play-By-Play) and Mariano Trujillo (Analyst) have the call in Spanish on Fox Deportes with Jaime Motta reporting from the side-line.

Action continues two days later when Eastern Conference newcomers Atlanta United host the reigning Eastern Conference Regular-Season Champion New York Red Bulls on Sunday, March 5 at 7:00 pm ET on FS1 and FOX Deportes. Strong (Play-By-Play) and Lalas (Analyst) are on the call in the English on FS1 with Witham reporting from the side-line. Laguna (Play-By-Play) and Trujillo (Analyst) are on the call in Spanish on Fox Deportes with Motta reporting from the side-line.

Rest Of The Press Release - http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/...d-atlanta-united-make-mls-debuts-on-fs1-and-f

25. LaxBandit

LaxBandit Member+

Aug 27, 1999
    North Tonawanda, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States