The Five Stripes are dead. Long live the Nine Stripes!

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by SabreKhan, Feb 15, 2019.

1. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get move from five stripes. You've been marketing that term for two years, and now you're going to throw that all away? I know they're trying to sell that the five stripes are in the logo, but only the hardcore United fan is going to get that. Everyone else will hear that, look at the kit, and think we can't count.

Also not quite a fan of what they did on the back there, putting stripes on the bottom. Looks weird. Very happy that that replica kit will just have all black.

Bonus points though for putting the star on the replica kit, which I know not everyone does.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The star was a given so the only thing new that I like is the state of Georgia emblem with "17" emblazoned within. Other than that it's a hideous piece of crap.

- Thin stripes suck
    - Not enough gold
    - Hate the red socks
    - Hate the back - Should just go solid
    - Hate how the stripes line up on sleeves. Looks like prison garb

The lack of gold is particularly disturbing to me, and this shade of red looks lighter than the first edition. If we graduate to more of a Falcons/UGA scarlet red I'm gonna puke.

4. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. But I guess that doesn't sell more jerseys. We shouldn't have changed either kit this year. Just because you can change one per year doesn't mean you have to.

Worst and only bad move our FO has really made? I agree with the masses on this one. It's not a good looking kit.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If the sleeves and back were solid black and the adidas stripes on the shoulder were gold then I would be MUCH more obliging.

6. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually quite like it, aside from the butt stripes. I dig the striped sleeves, the more numerous stripes in general, and I've always disliked the "five stripes" moniker.

7. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't much of a fan on first release, but it grew on me. Mostly because it kind of gave a uniqueness and an identity in a league where everyone looks the same. They've still got stripes sure, but they're not the only ones...

[​IMG]

This looks to be Adidas' template this go 'round. With what little I know about how these kit decisions work, I'd love to know if the change to more stripes was Atlanta's decision, or if Adidas basically told Atlanta "You want stripes, here you go. Next!"

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As far as I know the team will still be called the Five Stripes, as that's due to the team badge and not the uniform.

All accounts I've heard suggest the latter.

Gunner repped this.
  9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I'll say this about the new kit, it makes me want do something that was unthinkable last season... buy the drab and mundane King Peach kit.