The Fire Jim Curtin Thread [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Handsome Pete, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next Union social media video after the the success of "The Fresh Prince of Chest-air":

Jimbo will forget to bring CJ to the airport and not realize til he gets to Chicago. Meanwhile, back in Chester, CJ wakes up all alone in training facilty and wonders where everyone went. He learns that NikkySak is planning to break in to get his old job back now that ES is skipping town, and thwarts his plan by setting up a series of booby traps around TES, including nailing SakAttack in the face with the paint cans for when they finally get around to fixing the roof and setting up all the unused Rais M'Bohli bobbleheads on the concourse for him to trip over in the dark. After turning him over the Chester PD and riding a newly-found wave of confidence, CJ gets his scoring touch back and leads the Union to winning the Open Cup.

Tyr, Whosaidwhat11, CyphaPSU and 8 others repped this.
  2. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish Jimbo put as much creativity into his formations and tactics.

Tyr, CyphaPSU, cwelch999 and 2 others repped this.
  3. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post of the year

Union42 repped this.
  4. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forum tagline, too.

thomas19064 repped this.
  5. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1016738151778410496 is not a valid tweet id

[​IMG]

Phillyspur, buzzkiller23 and billf repped this.
  6. CITY&UNION

CITY&UNION Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I can't wait to hear his backpedaling when they lose

7. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "good teams do that stuff we don't do"

lopezzzz and CITY&UNION repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm....Matt Doyle....ummmm...doesn't share the view of the collective:
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/07/11/armchair-analyst-handing-out-grades-every-team-midseason

Philadelphia Union: C-

I love the way the Union play, and I love the ethos of the technical staff. Jim Curtin deserves a ton of credit for trusting the Homegrown central defensive combo of Auston Trusty and Mark McKenzie, but it’s more than that. He puts out a team with a very good gameplan on both sides of the ball pretty much every single weekend, and it’s usually pretty, and it’s often very effective.

Except in terms of putting the ball in the net. Because the Union have been abysmal in front of goal in 2018.

CJ Sapong and David Accam, both of whom were rewarded with large contracts this offseason, have been the two guiltiest parties. There is almost nothing to say beyond "the inability to finish the chances that are regularly created means that the Union are doomed to mediocrity."

That’s what happened this past weekend as Philly mostly outplayed Atlanta, but then lost 2-0.

What they could’ve done better: In retrospect, they bet on the wrong attackers.

billf and Starpork repped this.
  9. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I generally agree with that actually. If Accam lights up following last night we will probably be playoff bound. Like, we’re not good by any stretch, but it does seem lately like we beat the teams we’re supposed to beat and lose to the ones we’re not, like LAFC and Atlanta.

billf repped this.
  10. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2410 thomas19064, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2018
    cwelch999 repped this.
  11. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I disagree with Doyle on his view of Curtin. He’s also been historically way more in the CJ is USMNT material and I’ve been more in the CJ has no idea what happened on half his goals and is an offensive liability.

But, a C- seems like it could apply to everything this franchise does. Sooo, disagree to agree.

Tomato tomato.

12. CallMeMed

CallMeMed Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    buzzkiller23, Dills and BuddhaWake repped this.
  13. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a website for a good explanation of the strengths and weaknesses of the vaunted 4-2-3-1 we are playing? Is the idea similar to that of the 4-3-3 which works great if all the players have good tactical awareness and the overall ball skill is high, but is a disaster if those two qualities are missing?

14. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What needs to happen for Jim's contract renewal?

Win the USOC final against Houston?
    Make the playoffs?
    Make the playoffs AND advance/win a series?

15. nhlman10

nhlman10 Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Meh
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets be honest. Wins the USOC final and he is golden for at least another year.

UnionDues, BuddhaWake, jaykoz3 and 2 others repped this.
  16. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2417 Union42, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    I think any of the above will do it, and maybe even none of the above if they are competitive to end the season. Their the poor start to the season may be enough to make Ernst Tanner think JC may yet have potential and will want to give himself time to evaluate where things are at before blowing the whole thing up and starting over with a new manager.

For example, say they are competitive in the cup final but lose on the road in stoppage time, DCU continues to surge and TFC wakes up and goes on a run like Seattle, and they are edged out of the playoffs by a point, but finish strong. That may be enough for ET to give JC another season.

There may also be a 'new sporting director' bounce going on where all the players AND coaches are stepping up their game.

Phillyspur repped this.
  17. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Open Cup win and a playoff win probably enough to secure him.
    Although I still say it should take a Open Cup win paired with 2 legged playoff series win.

18. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agree, it's going to take a lot for Sugarman to shell out for a new coach right after dipping into the helicopter funds for Tanner. He's not abandoning the Stewart long-view mentality so even if Curtin tanks from here, I think he'll get a renewal. Not that contracts mean anything, coaches are essentially employed at will anyway.

Dills and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  19. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Union with the Open Cup and make the playoffs, he's a lock for another 2-3 years. Achieve one, it's 50/50 he gets resigned. If neither happen, he's probably toast...which would be unfortunate, I've always thought Jim has done a decent job with what he has. I've met Jim and he's a great guy, any team would be better having him on board in some manner. There's always a human side to every situation and Jim I'm sure is a great coach to play for...if he isn't signed, I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere.

Guys around here rail on Jim and believe the coaching grass is always greener on the other side...with Jim, I'm not so sure it is. But the sporting world isn't always fair. I hope he's back, personally.

20. Ruud11

Ruud11 Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If the teams keeps on playing like on Saturday then Curtin's contract will be renewed. The game was exciting and well worth the ticket price. If they keep on playing like that they have a good chance of winning the Cup and winning a playoff game. The problem is that in the past they struggled in September & October. Let's hope they can keep the good form going this time and that Burke can keep on scoring. Ever since he started good things happened. It is like Curtin's future depends on Burke...

Union42 and thomas19064 repped this.
  21. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2422 thomas19064, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2018
    I've been saying this (probably for years now) and I know this isn't necessarily "fair" to Jim... but firing him symbolizes the team isn't okay with mediocrity. I get that it could end up making Curtin more of a sacrificial lamb than anything else... but it has to be done.

The guy was brought into the org when Nowak was still coach, and promoted to head coach in the Sak era. He's the obvious choice to cut ties with and make a statement that it just hasn't been good enough.

Which is funny, because if he hadn't stubbornly stuck with CJ so long and gone to Burke sooner maybe he'd be in an even safer spot.

cwelch999, drewuke and Ruud11 repped this.
  22. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nowak was a bonafide Lunatic, after 6 matches I was ready to dump him...

No, I completely understand your point, this is where and when coaching changes happen...It wouldn't be shocking if Jim wasn't brought back.

thomas19064 repped this.
  23. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Breath

24. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Said this on The Twitter the other day too - I think he wins the USOC. I think he wins a playoff series.

I think Tanner cuts him loose in November anyway. He's got a guy lined up. Curtin is coaching for his next gig someplace else, and there's probably enough jobs out there he can land one. I've been against him in the role from Day 1 for precisely the reason we shouldn't have to pay to watch his learning curve and on the job mistakes. His lineup/sub decisions arguably cost the team 2 trophies already. I don't think Tanner came over to do nothing. Earnie didn't care because he was on the prowl for his next gig and wanted the relo reason.

Has Curtin done enough to keep his job if he wins? Maybe. Who cares? Has he previously done enough to justify getting fired? Yeah, in a lot of orgs definitely yes. Call it a "just not the guy to take us to the next level, we thank him for his service." "I'll always be grateful for the club taking a chance on me and Philly will always have a special place in my heart."
    There, ready-made quotes on both sides. Cant wait for the introduction of Hans Gruber who was killing it in 2.Bundesliga for years in obscurity.