The Fire Jim Curtin Thread [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Handsome Pete, Jun 10, 2014.

1. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be an interesting day. Curtin-stuff aside, Tanner has made some small statements here and there that make him seem like a welcome change from Earnie (from a STH/Fan standpoint). I'd like to see what he else he has to say to see if he seems like someone we can put our faith in.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw this... aside from a more aggressive high press style how different can Ernst plan be without any money?

4. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    #2554 PhillyMLS, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2018
    :whistling:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...ia-union-head-coach-jim-curtin-agree-new-deal

The money that the club has spent in the last few years has been sufficient to build a solid team. The problem has been that the prior TD's have not spent that money well at all. Peter Vermes doesn't get Atlanta money and he has made SKC a perennial contender. NYRB have been good for years and this was the first year they dropped more money than the Union typically has when they signed Kaku (I'm talking since the Henry days, so 2015 on). Columbus under Berhalter has been consistently good except for that strange year in 2016 and they don't blow the bank on players.

You can build good teams, just not when your DP or TAM players don't live up to the billing. This year we were good because both DP's played well and we got some other production. Now if our big TAM player (Accam) had done anything we probably would have had a home playoff game. We can talk about the big spending of teams like Atlanta, TFC, LAFC, and the Galaxy but the truth is only one of them are still in the playoffs and Atlanta lost the shield to the Red Bulls. If Tanner does his job he can build a good team with the resources available. That is the big if though.

CyphaPSU and jaykoz3 repped this.
  5. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blind squirrel something something ...

ScottyMac26 and jaykoz3 repped this.
  7. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    There's so much not 100% right here.

Let's start with "big spenders", yes, we're down to 4 teams so naturally somebody lost. You gloss over that TFC is out, so their faith in spending is obviously misplaced as they polish their 2017 MLS Championship. Atlanta lost the shield on the last day of the season and could still win the Cup, which actually invalidates the point I think youre making (poor teams win, maybe we can too!?).

You lay the blame of a 6th place finish at Accam's feet? What if Curtin drops CJ for Burke or Simpson much earlier? Do we win 3rd? Are we still in it? He stayed with a losing hand without even subbing him out for weeks of futility.

"This year we were good because both DP's played well and we got some other production" - What? Dockal did play great after that first 4-6 weeks of adjusting. I'm still not sure what to make of Bedoya. There are games when he plays like being this team's captain is everything, and then you look at him in the Cup final or the last few weeks of the season and question why he's on the field.

"The money that the club has spent in the last few years has been sufficient to build a solid team. The problem has been that the prior TD's have not spent that money well at all." - Prior TDs? Earnie has been the only one in that position. They have not spent enough to be a solid team. They have spent as little over the cap and league allocation as fiscally possible. "Spend" where they reach into an actual wallet for funds to improve the team has been $0.00. Instead they'll point to the amazing grass fields in Lot B and say these didnt build themselves. Have you seen our machine shed/workout space? Pretty sweet! Budgetary #s without transactions fees or FO investments are incomplete analysis at best, and pushing company propaganda at worst.

8. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Picked a great year not to renew. This year was their ceiling under Curtin.

9. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Curtin is currently the 59th best coach in MLS history (out of 119 total coaches).

Behind such luminaries as Martin Rennie, Jeff Cassar, Jay Heaps, and Thomas Rongen and slightly ahead of John Hackworth and Ben Olsen.

Handsome Pete and Starpork repped this.
  10. Handsome Pete

Handsome Pete Member+

May 16, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, he’s yet to have a team with “his guys.”

11. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Behind Rongen? By what standard is Rongen ranked in the top 50%.

12. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you click the link? Rongen's PPG (1.317) is ahead of Curtin's (1.286).

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  13. Starpork

Starpork Member+

Nov 12, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    But are we sure he coached those games, or did he just tell his boss he coached those games and go to Buffalo Wild Wings instead?

jaykoz3 and thomas19064 repped this.
  14. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course I didn't click the link!

But subtract his first year with DCU (inheriting Arena's team) and he has been awful. The Union has never had talent like Etcheverry, J. Moreno, and Pope.

15. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

sentrido and Handsome Pete repped this.
  16. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ScottyMac26 repped this.
  17. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  18. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never heard of this guy until Huddersfield sacked him. But social media makes it sound like I was supposed to know who he was, and how great his pedigree and resume are.

Plus, I know nothing of Huddersfield except that it's Sir Pat Stew's team.

But, bringing this back on topic ... there's no way in hell Jim's seat isn't already warming up. With Ernst in command now, and JC only having his contract extended through 2019, it's do-or-die #WinSomeShitJimJim time.

19. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's not warming up but it's do or die time since he's on a one year deal? Why only give him one year? Why not extend him 3 more? That would really take the pressure off.

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said there's no way it isn't.

Double negatives.

Meaning that it is.

Ernst has no obligation to keep him on if Jim doesn't perform.

BuddhaWake and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  21. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My fault. I didn't read good.

[​IMG]

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keeping Jim and moving Keegan is another example of my theory that this is just a transition/punting year that they refuse to admit to. (at least this is my hope)

Ernst can have Jim-jim play the kids so he can evaluate the talent of them over the course of a full season with substantial minutes under their belt... he can determine who can hang and who can't at the MLS level... meanwhile on the coaching front he can start to lineup candidates Jim's replacement... Playing the kids without any big-time veteran reinforcements will result in another losing season, so Ernst has an even easier out to fire Curtin... then he can go into 2020, bring in his choice of coach and bolster the lineup in spots where the kids aren't up to snuff... plus he'll clear even more cap/budget space with the possible departures of pretty much every existing vet we have on the roster for 2019.

If 2020 isn't the "big splash" and/or "go for it" year than we will never see one.

24. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Dills repped this.
  25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love that we are already looking towards the season after the upcoming one. :cool:

BuddhaWake, Phillyspur, Starpork and 5 others repped this.