The Fire Jim Curtin Thread [MERGED]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Handsome Pete, Jun 10, 2014.

1. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the question comes down to whether you believe:

A) The talent got results despite the Coach. (The team responded to having a trio of true on-the-field Generals running things - Dockal, Bedoya, & Haris)

B) The talent got results because of the Coach. (Actual squad rotation and on the field adjustments were much better this year)

I know a lot of people who believe option A is the correct interpretation of the season, but that's just the jaded locals speaking.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  2. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jim Curtin has earned 198 points in 154 MLS matches with the Philadelphia Union (more than Nowak and Hackworth combined).

Year: W - L - T (PPG) - GF/GA
    2014: 7 - 5 - 6 (1.5) - 29/24
    2015: 10 - 17 - 7 (1.09) - 42/55
    2016: 11 - 14 - 9 (1.24) - 52/55
    2017: 11 - 14 - 9 (1.24) - 50/47
    2018: 15 - 14 - 5 (1.47) - 49/50
    Total: 54 - 64 - 36 (1.29) - 222/231

Curtin's first 11 matches:
    6 - 2 - 3 (1.91 PPG)

Curtin's last 143 matches:
    48 - 62 - 33 (1.24 PPG)

John Hackworth earned 89 points in 73 matches: 23 - 30 - 20 (1.22 PPG)
    Peter Nowak earned 87 points in 75 matches: 21 - 30 - 24 (1.16 PPG)

cwelch999 repped this.
  3. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Yet another big game failure.

4. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging Dr. Heimlich...

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t come up with any defense that isn’t lame as shit.

I know the defense will be “best season ever” ... but that is as previously noted.. lame as shit,

They need to announce tomorrow his contract will not be renewed. It’s not all his fault, but he CAN NOT come back.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  7. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it was the "best season EVAR!" and that will probably be the FO's justification for keeping Curtin. However, the fact remains that under his tenure, we have had arguably the most talented rosters (on paper at least) and we still have ZERO playoff wins and ZERO open cup wins.

Some people have tried to argue with me about the Open Cup Finals, saying that "Hey, he got us there, not a lot of teams have done that."

True, but not a lot of MLS teams take the Open Cup seriously, one of the reasons the Union utterly throw themselves into it is because deep down, the players, the coaches, the ownership know that this team can't compete against the likes of the league's top tier teams in the playoffs.

I've met Jim Curtin several times, he's a very nice guy and I WANT him to succeed. But we're pretty much at the Andy Reid part of his career. He's done pretty much all he's gonna do with us. He's not going to get this team over the hump, he's just not. For those who argue that "He's done great with what he's had," New York Red Bulls won the Supporter's Shield and spend roughly $700K less on player salaries than we do. Coaching matters folks. Coaching is what gets the most out of what you have. We all want ownership to spend more on players, but that's not going to happen so they need to get smarter with other moves.

Jim, you're a nice guy but it's time the Union and you move on from each other.

8. Scottj10

Scottj10 Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curtin isn't the guy but no coach would be able to succeed with our poor ownership team. Just have to keep hoping Sugarman cashes out soon so we have hope going forward.

jaykoz3, buzzkiller23 and cwelch999 repped this.
  9. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think another coach could get more out of this team.

I think even with the lack of transfer budgets (honestly stop using salary as a metric in a single entity) you can build a competitive team with MLS trades, drafts, loans and frees. Can you do it and win it all? Probably not but it requires a lot of luck in a retreads career year.

We need to invest in the build up of the FO. Albright is the Rob DeNiro version of an MLS intern and it’s not enough for player sourcing. Tanner must replicate what he’s seen in Europe for us to have an edge. Or knives to a musket fight will remain reality.

Sugarman has to stop acting like this is a real estate investment. Expansion fees are not a dividend. He’s making money in spite of himself, not due to great business acumen. The other owners must hate him.

drewuke, jaykoz3, billf and 3 others repped this.
  10. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with almost everything you said, but it's important to note the advantages the Red Bulls have over us. Yes, their salaries are low, however, they spent $6.5 million(!) to acquire Kaku, they have easy access to players via loan from their sister clubs in Austria and Germany, and they also signed BWP rather than Jay Simpson. They also started their youth system before we properly invested in ours, and are reaping the rewards (which helps keep salaries down).

None of this distracts from the fact that since September 15th the team went 3-5-1 in all competitions with a -4 GD (including a game the we won by 4!).

11. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point you get a dead cat bounce and I think that's good enough. However, its another year of rebuild so I suspect next year is a slow start.

12. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... or Dr. Kevorkian.

13. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The high tide of the Curtin era was the SKC win before the final. He'd gotten there this year only by taking care of business against more lowly teams, and the occasional surprise against a better one. With MLS playoff format, that was enough to get into postseason.

In the 6 games after SKC, we lost 2 vital games, and could only beat Minnesota. Thrill is gone, Jimbo. Good luck in your next job, we know you will get one somewhere in the league. Maybe Chicago. But it's time to move on.

cwelch999 and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  14. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Doyle in Extra Time Radio says “he is hearing it’s getting done” when discussing Curtin’s contract.

15. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait 'til he brings in his guys!

16. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get rid of a few words, switch some around, and I'd like it better.

"Hearing he is done."

I can guarantee they are having a hard sell on renewals right now. How is it even remotely possible that they think announcing a new contract for Jim is going to help their case?

The depths of how tone deaf this FO is never cease to astound me.

17. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it all that surprising that this is the result of a worldwide coaching search?

buzzkiller23 and thomas19064 repped this.
  18. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Ascalz

Ascalz BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Scottj10

Scottj10 Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish the salaries of head coaches were released in the MLS...I would assume the Union's head coach budget is far lower than other teams.

22. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand the case people make for Jim, but the results aren’t there... you could be best coach in the world, but with that amount of failure during your tenure you still need to be fired.

I made this point on twitter earlier today, but the only reason people argue for him is either because he is coach of a team they don’t care about or because they are doing their best to rationalize the cheapness of the Union.

If a coach of the USMNT had comparable failures people would be up in arms over him still having a job. Case in point Earnie Stewart. Nobody gave two shits that Earnie doesn’t display urgency when he was in charge of the Union, they probably even defended him and made the same excuses for him that we see with Jim now. But now he is with a team more people care about and all the critics are out and on him now that he is calling shots for the USMNT.

Phillyspur and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  23. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. breslinp

breslinp Member+

Jan 20, 2010
    Malvern, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Jim Curtain still the manager? Should have been fired last Thursday. Exactly why i did not re-up.

25. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States