The Fight

Discussion in 'Argentina' started by in da soup, Jun 30, 2006.

1. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    from what i have seen, the trouble started when a german player (i can't remember his name, the tall midfielder who came on as a sub, a prize asshole) scored his penalty.

as he was running back to the halfway line, he started gesturing to the argentine players, putting his fingers to his lips and so on, doing the tough guy routine.

this appeared to be a v unsporting act, considering he had just scored his penalty, so it was easy for him to be cocky, whereas our guy still had to go up and take his spot-kick.

his actions incensed heinze, who lost his cool and tried to approach the german players but was restrained by the linesman, who was standing between the two sets of players on the halfway line.

heinze was fuming and was ready to take on the entire german squad on his own, and to be honest, the mood he was in, i wouldn't have fancied their chances against him.

as soon as cuchu misssed his kick, it appears cufre kicked one of their players, but a different player, perhaps it was mistaken identity or perhaps he didn't care who he kicked so long as he was german.

the guy was left on the ground.

oliver bierhoff (former german international) tried to step in but by now the argies were raging, heinze particularly, who had to be restrained by the argentine staff.

in the melee, klinsmann (whom it appears was trying to be a peacemaker) got kicked by one of our guys.

maxi and colo threw punches, colo's was more a sly punch but maxi's involved a long run-up and then he punched one of their players from behind.

i expect both our guys will get bans, possibly heinze too.

2. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm sure he wouldn't have had any chance against "Tarzan" Oli Kahn. :D ;)

Interesting story. Where did you get it from? If it's really true, I think that Borowski's reaction (maybe he got provoked before, too) wasn't ok...but IMO that's no reason for Heinze to overreact that way! :mad: Is he really such a firebrand? :eek:

Of course. :rolleyes: Thanks for this statement! :eek:

Buenos noces.

3. harryhoho

harryhoho New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Freiburg
    as he was running back to the halfway line, he started gesturing to the argentine players, putting his fingers to his lips and so on, doing the tough guy routine.

Yes, but the reason he was doing that was that the players from Argentina had continuously insulted and abused the German players taking their penalty shots.

Cant really understand the Argentine actions, sore losers.

I also expect some bans for the players, although in my opinion some general sanction like Turkey received might be more appropriate due to the dastardly nature of their attacks.

4. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    heinze is a tough guy, borussia, immensely proud, it was clear he felt borowski had disrespected us, big-time.

and it's not a story, the footage has just been shown on english tv, of course i don't know if they captured the whole incident, but i have described it exactly as it was shown.

5. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    how do you know this?

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    again, from the reports I saw and the clips I recorded, The German players did seem to get taunted when they took the penalties. Cufre was the main instigator, and after Borowski took his penalty, he simply implied for them to be quiet. Cufre then lost his cool, confused Borowski with Mertesacker and kicked him, when Bierhoff and Schweinsteiger tried to control the situation, Rodriguez went in to punch Schweinsteiger and Tevez got in on it as well.

7. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    thats what you call sour losers.

8. KWorld

KWorld Red Card

Mar 15, 2006
    At Home
    And the Argentinians will always be nastier. They cause trouble every time they lose, so stop blaming the whole German team because of one idiot player. The Argentinians are known to be the nastiest F***S in the soccer world.

9. harryhoho

harryhoho New Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Freiburg
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=377282
    Also check this thread.

Chain of the events seems to be

-Argentine players insult German players taking penalties
    -Borowski tells them to shut up, by gesture and probably by word
    -Cufre then decides to kick Borowski, goes for very similar looking Mertesacker instead.
    -Rodriguez beats Schweinsteiger from behind.

10. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    hey sir manchester, i'm gonna address you because it's clear you haven't come on here simply to be disrespectful.

i think i'm right in saying you're a germany fan, but have you really seen footage of our players taunting the germans, or have you just heard of it?

i ask this because i haven't seen any such footage, only of borowski gesturing to the argentine players and the fight that ensues.

edit: thanx harry just seen yr post, but so far no footage of argies taunting germans, just of borowski acting v unsportingly.

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    well, the previous post has three different news sources citing the same thing, the Argentine players were taunint the Germans during the penalty shootout. Also, even if that wasn't the case, Borowski made on hand gesture that seems to be more than common in football today, and by no means is that an excuse to lose your cool and attack a player that is laying down on the grass, and again, no way to punch a player from behind.

12. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    sm, how can these news sources be so sure?

were they on the pitch?

did they hear the taunts?

or are they simply quoting what they have been told by the germans?

i'm just asking.

i'm not discounting the possibility the germans got taunted, but i have seen the incident replayed on english tv, and the footage shows no taunting, it shows borowski as the instigator, altho of course it may have begun before then.

i would be interested if anyone has actually seen the argentines taunting, rather than just heard or read of it.

something clearly happened to incense our lot, they clearly felt borowski's actions were out of line and unprovoked.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The different news sources probably had reporters right there on the field. Peckerman didn't deny his players taunting the Germans during penalties claiming they expressed emotion - even though it got out of hand.

14. emailryoung

emailryoung Member

Feb 6, 2003
    California
    The "instigator"? It appears that no German player stomped on an opponent, or ran 15 yards to hit an opponent from behind. Intigator or not, the Argentine actions were uncalled for here.

And very regrettable, given that they are the last image of a great game.

15. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    there were no reporters on the field, only the players and the officials, don't forget the penalties were still going on when this supposed taunting took place.

and even if there was taunting, who's to say it wasn't a response to german taunting?

i'm sure most of us by now have seen the footage of borowski doing his tough guy act and acting v unsporting when he had just converted his penalty and his team were in the ascendency, where's the footage of any taunting, or is it a story invented by the german players and staff and relayed to the media?

i'm just curious.

peker did indeed say the players were emotional, but he wasn't referring to any taunting, therefore saying he didn't deny it is disingenous on your part.

the reason he didn't deny it is because it wasn't referred to.

16. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Reporters stormed onto whatever part of the pitch they could get on after the game, and either way, reporters are always stationed on the sidelines and would be first to witness what occurs between the players.

17. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    Boroswki will get some kind of sanction for the next couple of games? As the instigator with his gestures.

FIFA may not touch him - therefore no one in the argentine side will be scolded.

18. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    sorry sir manchester, but this supposed taunting you speak of took place during the game, not after it.

as you know, there were no reporters who could have heard it, even if they were on the touchline, which i doubt, reporters tend to be in the press box, unlike the tv people who don't seem to have caught any taunting, none that has been released yet anyway.

there were 70000 people in the place making a lot of noise, what exactly did these reporters hear?

borowski's gestures were clearly caught on camera.

so far the truth is, you choose to believe there was taunting, and it was started by us.

i'm not condoning the behaviour of our players, just trying to get to the bottom of what happened.

borowski, in my opinion, is an asshole, and because of him i hope germany get knocked out.

19. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

How about the reporters near the team's benches - they could have certainly overheard what they were saying, and I'm pretty sure they also saw most of the gestures that were made - because along with verbal taunting there's always some hand gestures involved.

Either way, the point is, Borowski made one hand gesture and I'm pretty sure he had a reason for it, he's not known to be a hothead who will start trouble - which the same cannot be said for the likes of Cufre and Heinze. Also, there's absolutely no excuse for a physical attack, especially not one on a player who is lying down on the grass, and especially not a punch from behind.

20. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    exactly sm, you're choosing what to believe, which is fair enough, but you have no facts to back it up, so don't present it as the truth until you know for sure.

having said that, i'm grateful for your input, just a bit more cynical about its validity;)

21. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I certainly don't mean to impose my views on anyone but in the end all we can go after is what's been reported and that is exactly what I've mentioned so far. Again, I would also very much like to know exactly what Cufre & co said if they indeed did so, and more importantly I want the players involved in the altercation to be properly punished.

22. in da soup

in da soup New Member

Nov 17, 2005
    england
    i will pass on your sentiments to mister blatter ;)

23. chipotaple

chipotaple Member

Mar 31, 2006
    CA
    Club:
    CD Chalatenango
    I highly doubt this. The Argentinean players are usually the coolest.

24. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

really? is that why they reacted to a simple hand gesture, with punches and kicks? Come on, be sensible, something else must have been afoot here.

25. Razor_Child

Razor_Child BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 26, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    damn nazi's always looking for trouble.