The Fall of Rafael Marquez

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team: News, Analysis & History' started by Hugo Sanchez, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Sanchito

Sanchito Member+

Jul 15, 2005
    an island in my mind
    Right I get what you're saying about Kikin. I never really heard anyone mention about that with Kikin but maybe you knew a lot of Cruz Azul fans at the time.

btw, glad to see you're posting again.

2. El Mariachi

El Mariachi Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Más Allá
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    All of my friends were saying that about Kikin, and I am a Cruz Azul fan, so I was happy he was doing good, but I didnt see alot of potential, and then when he sucked it up I was disappointed but not surprised

3. gvfatlas

gvfatlas Member

Oct 6, 2004
    GDL
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not just Cruz Azul fans, a lot of people where thinking that he was the next best thing. I still remember from 2003-2005 people saying Kikin's name, "metan al Kikin, es el mejor goleador", Kikin esto, Kikin lo otro.

Thanks, it has been a while. How is life treating you? When I was posting regularly I remember you had started a website/store and were selling men grooming products. Hope that is going well.

Anyway, so let's get back to Rafa.

4. Rock the Casbah

Rock the Casbah Red Card

Jul 31, 2008
    los enanitos nunca crecen

5. Viva RoCkism!

Viva RoCkism! Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Mexico City
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Just enjoy the last months of the "Rafa Marquez era", man I remember when he started his reign at the sub-21 or 23 wc in Nigeria, he was a monster, world class, class that had never been seen in a mexican defender, haciendole sombreritos a los rivales and shit. And those free kicks...

And with all his recent shortcomings, se va a retirar con el barca...greatest mexican defender ever

6. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    haters gonna hate i guess

7. zenden

zenden Member+

Nov 12, 2006
    yo estoy en Europa
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    epic bump

8. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Crazy talk indeed.

9. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Fall of Chafa Marquez

Proving me wrong by the minute.

I'm glad.

Very, very pleased.

LGRod repped this.
  10. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    He proved me wrong...ill admit it:D

11. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  12. Rafa9

Rafa9 New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Arizona
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yup, we need this guy.

13. SoDamnSmooth

SoDamnSmooth Red Card

Oct 17, 2007
    NJ
    Club:
    Bayer 04 Leverkusen
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm a blind Rafa supporter. Dude is the truth.

14. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    I posted this on March 25 on Rafa's club thread.

But it looks like the one who got sacrificed was Guardado.

15. El Mariachi

El Mariachi Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Más Allá
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Which I think wasnt so great a decision, but oh well, we do have torrados toughness , but I dont know who brings more to the table, Torrado or Guardado, maybe Guardado will do better as a super sub, who knows

16. John Jagou

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    I have a feeling Guardado will be better suited as a bench option. He will come on for Aguilar and send Juarez to the back.

Guardado is better suited for the contra golpe, of which there will be plenty in second halves.

Rafa is going to score goal in the first round. And it's going to be a massive one.

17. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There was a few of us calling for him to move up while many thought his lack of speed would be felt more, so far I think the team looks much more organized when he's on and clicks well.

I never thought a midfield with 3 dms would be able to link up so nicely with the forwards but it seems to be working. I think it's the main reason guardado has been sacrificed. There's no question that the midfield has more of an intimidating bite with torrado, rafa, and Efrain, but who would have thought that we'd still create chances? I'd still rather have chicharito because it makes us much more dynamic but I hop guille does well.

18. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Rafa is the only one that can score from fks and always a threat on corners.

19. John Jagou

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    You are right, and we had been asking for it for the past three years. Luckily Maza's development has allowed it to happen.

I firmly believe Rafa is poised to have his best world cup. I figure Barcelona will get rid of him regardless, but he'll go to a team as a DM, not a defender.

20. El Mariachi

El Mariachi Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Más Allá
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yes, when I saw him playing further up, I was so excited, I never understood why previous NT coaches put him at the last man (besides not having a quality backup)

I really think he will contribute alot, he has a great touch

21. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this will be the World Cup where Mexico breaks through its previous World Cup barriers when playing away from home, and a semi-final berth is not out of the question. The strategy of many warm-ups against increasingly difficult competition was, IMHO, always a sound one, and appears to have the team primed and ready.

I'd like to see Bafana Bafana get through as well, so that Africa doesn't have the stigma of being the first continent whose host didn't advance past the Group Stage. Unfortunately, I believe FIFA wants the same, and unlike yours truly would have no qualms about screwing the rest group to ensure South Africa's advancement into the elimination rounds.

Playing South Africa in the first group stage match may therefore be a blessing to Mexico; any political hijinks by FIFA to get a not very good Bafana Bafana into the elimination rounds my be felt more sharply by South Africa's later opponents. I have no beef with Uruguay, but it would be sweet justice indeed to see cheating France get the well-deserved shaft.

Mexico and SA into the second round, with Mexico topping the group. You have the horses, go make it happen. Buena suerte al Tri, desde un fanatico the la seleccion de los Estados Unidos.

22. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    hahaha....

Marquez is there as our savior.

23. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And our 'oso'.. Dude was giving alot of balls in the midfield and one of the reasons RSA got their goal and soo many counters..

24. Hugo Sanchez

Hugo Sanchez Member+

Aug 21, 2003
    MEX2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Return of Rafael Marquez

San Rafael.

I love him again.

I just hope he doesn't remember he's due for another expulsion come knockout stages. ;)

LGRod repped this.
  25. Pirru

Pirru Member+

Sep 21, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara