[The FA Cup] Manchester United vs The Arsenal [R] Pre/Dur/Post Match Discussion

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Paul.eta, Mar 5, 2015.

1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Mebe, that is not funny.;). Gives me nightmares!

2. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the sheets with the balloons on them?
    Do you still have those . . . . . . you know . . . . . . . . for the ladies???

3. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make some very good points. Personally, I don't like fines as a solution because the rich players don't get the message and the lesser paid players are really stung by it. It creates a culture of resent and/or indifference (at least in the NBA and NFL, it does). Maybe it would work differently in football? The crux of this entire debate is that with competition at the highest level, its near impossible to determine intent on the field of play.

4. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are actually cherries on that particular set of sheets, I'll look and see if we still have them, we moved to a new BIGHMW.com Headquarters back in July and we still haven't squared everything away yet, but anyhow, for all the ladies, I do have some rather (to quote Wade Barrett) bad (c'mon, is it REALLY THAT bad? :) ) news, I've been happily hooked up with my Love Of My Life, Alice Yantz (pictured below) for the past 26 years (we met April 15th, 1989) and last month we celebrated 20 YEARS living together, now at these days the house feels half-empty when either one of us is away, whether it be on a trip (for Alice it would be at her sister's in Everett, the other side of the Puget Sound) or at work.

[​IMG]

kanonier repped this.
  5. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I've learned so much. What up, bighmw.

kanonier and BIGHMW repped this.
  6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You started it! :D

BIGHMW repped this.
  7. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you really want to compare the NBA rules with FIFA rules, it's no comparison.

The NBA has a comprehensive system of fouls. There are personal fouls with an ejection after 6. There are flagrant fouls, which can be either 2 and out or a straight ejection. There are technical fouls, which is an ejection after 2. Additionally, fouling out doesn't leave the team down a player.

In soccer there are regular fouls, which there are no limit on, and cards. There's no doubt that the NBA system does a better job of policing the game. Giving the referee more options will allow for a better officiated game.

WoodDraw repped this.
  8. WoodDraw

WoodDraw Member+

May 29, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Refs have plenty of tools to control the game, as we saw Monday. They just struggle to.

It's completely different than basketball. If a player fouls out, or is ejected, you just put a new player on. Sure, you might lose a better player, but it's not earth shattering. When you red card a player, you're losing that player, suspending that player, and going down a player. It's a stupid comparison.

Give refs an extra card, and they'll just be as reluctant to send players off as they've ever been. It'll change nothing. The only thing that will start to change the culture is retroactive punishment. Have a committee with set guidelines that reviews every game and adds/subtracts cards and suspensions. That would solve so many issues without these odd extra card, go off for 15 min proposals.

Fifty, casoccerdad47 and jamezyjamez repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alice has the wrong team shirt on!!

10. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    The NBA plays 5 v 5 on a small court with three referees. There is absolutely no comparison. I was joking, but after 5 fouls in a half do you want to impose pks? Do you want to impose an ejection for consistent fouling?

11. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Foulaini? Yes.

12. bandwagongooner

bandwagongooner Member+

Dec 9, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Knock it off. You know that's not what I'm advocating as I haven't said anything of the sort.

There are lots of options to improve refereeing. FIFA has a fetish about every league playing with the same rules, so that makes an FA reluctant to impose rules that technology now allows. If they're that opposed to technology, then changing the rules on across the board is the only option. Frankly, the only reason anyone reacts like that to three yellows is because they're used to two yellows.

13. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    still happy over this...

and frankly, if i were a united fan, i'd be shitting it. they were SHIT, and without major work on their team they're gonna be 5th/6th placed for years to come.

and i heard the Queen was happy with the result, and changed her succession order:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just a taste of when we get King Daniel I.

BIGHMW repped this.
  14. DeltaSig

DeltaSig Member

Mar 7, 2007
    DENVER
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not all. The refs put up with too much on the pitch. Fifa needs to empower the refs more. The solution is not to change the rules, simply have better standard of reffing which included empowering the ref. Almost time a ref blows a whistle he gets yelled at or crowded. That takes a toll on the center. Just play on ffs.

15. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    All I can think of is this.

Boogie_Down and MisplacedSpainard repped this.
  16. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Poor work on the one above. you couldn't photoshop the left hand as well???

17. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i didn't do that, copied from Google images. lol.

18. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    #343 casoccerdad47, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    You're the one that brought up the NBA and I believe you were the one that suggested three yellows before an ejection.

Three yellows doesn't change a thing. When a player is on two yellows referees will be as reluctant to give the third yellow as they are to giving the second yellow now. All three yellow cards will do is embolden players to be more reckless or commit more professional fouls, because because they know they have an extra yellow card.

19. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially when jones came on in second half for Herrera . Their mf was shockingly bad and slow

20. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? We all know Real's got first dibs on him anyway. :D