The Eyebrow's Daily Musing

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Cantona's Eyebrow, May 16, 2019.

1. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Goal differential. At the time the game was played, the US didn't know if GD would affect seeding in the knockout round.

ppierce34 repped this.
  2. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I never took issue with the 13 goals. I took issue with Rapinoe having a lousy game, finally scoring to make it 9-0 and then doing the sliding knee farts in front of the bench.

I have also taken issue with Allie Long, who played a total of 5 minutes and received a yellow card, hamming it up for the camera any chance she got when the only reason she was even there was to carry Alex Morgan's bags. She also dropped the flag that she draped herself in to posse for a stupid photo with Rapinoe and Morgan.

3. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    I thought she had a lousy final. Got a bit tired of all the "Nerves of Steal" comments on the only goal she scored which was a PK. I think I went 13-1 for PKs - they are not that hard.

Other then that the Dutch slammed the door on her many times in the last game. In fact if that was not the last WC (which I am assuming it may be), then they should have played Press because she's far more dangerous IMO.

4. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    I agree to a certain extent. However, school pupils must go to school to learn; they have no choice.Whereas, football is an optional activity. There has to be an element of fun in every session or most players will quickly lose interest.

I agree that hard work, dedication and practice will bring on a player, but this doesn't have to be "drudgery". I also agree that their is a lot of satisfaction and joy to be taken from the fruits of labour, both collectively and individually. But as I've already said, the journey itself should be joyful, or what's the point?

Don't get me wrong, I don't confuse "fun" for messing around. During my sessions, there is no chatting or ball bouncing while coaches are talking. Full attention is given to the session. While players are on their water break, that's the time to have a joke and chat to team mates, but once they step back on the pitch they should be focused. When the drills, rondos, SSGs, conditioned games, game related practices, phys prep starts, the players should have joy and fun in playing the game.

If the session is boring, slow moving and a drag.... that's the fault of the coach. It should still be fun.

5. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    Was watching a game at the weekend, u10s, regional level stuff with some good football on show. Coaches were delivering concise, clear and relevant information to their players, who were by and large playing some clever attacking football.

A tight first twenty minutes was encouraging to watch. The second period though, things changed.... the goals started to flow. Some very well worked, some great strikes and demonstrations of individual skill. But one element of the play left a horrible taste in my mouth: the goal celebrations.

Children walking to the touchline, arms outstretched like Jesus Christ on the cross. Spotty faces beaming with smug pride as they walked into the open arms of their coach.... it was a f***ing sickening sight (pardon my French). No humility, no class nor respect for the opposition. The worst part, the coaches were condoning this buffoonery. The "soccer moms" almost wetting their knickers in delight as their snot nosed offspring pointed to the name on the back of their shirt after scoring a goal. Half of the "celebrations" mimicked from FIFA video games, it was so disheartening. Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse, some lad starts doing some awful "loser dance", which I've since been informed is some other video game move from Fortnite. His coach beaming with pride. At that point, had he been my player, I'd have whipped him off the pitch and we'd have played a man down.

What is this delight in rubbing the opposition's nose in defeat. Or this over inflated sense of self-worth that is being bred through a lot of grassroots football. It culminates in the goal celebration.

I'm a big believer in instilling core values within my players and squad as a whole. One of which is dignity. This falls into one of my wider football philosophies: you can be an animal on the pitch; a gentleman off of it. However, I'd caveat that with being gracious in victory. It's so important.

For me, there's nothing wrong with passionately celebrating a goal, but individualistic, smug, idiotic nonsense will never earn you respect within an Eyebrow squad.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  6. mwulf67

mwulf67 Member+

Sep 24, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah, fortunately don’t see this crap too often, but when you do, it’s very off putting…really reflects poorly on the kids, coaches, parents and entire organization…