The Expanse (Season 4) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season 4 begins on Amazon Prime Video on Friday, December 13th.

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Smurfquake, Dec 13, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Started today. I'm two episodes in and it's just as good as previous seasons - maybe more salty language now that they're on Amazon instead of Syfy.

Edit - fourth episode now - David Strathairn remains incredible.

edit 2 - fifth episode - Burn Gorman, I remember him mostly from Torchwood, is a great guest star.

Dante and Belgian guy repped this.
  5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Hope to start on this later this weekend but very excited for this show's return.

Saving it might be the only good thing Jeff Bezos has done recently. :p

Dante repped this.
  6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Up to episode three of season four and it's an absolute delight. So grateful that this thing was canceled after SyFy was no longer interested.

Also, the CGI budget has been increased, right?

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Six episodes in now.

Still loving this season. I will say that I had imagined a bit of a wider scope with so many new worlds to explore but the Rocinante's crew has been at Ilus IV/New Terra for the entire season now.

I guess this is following the plot of the books still?

8. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finished this evening. It was excellent. Amos is up there with Jayne from Firefly as my favorite henchmen in the crew of the protagonists' spaceships in science fiction TV shows.
    I haven't read the books, but my understanding is that the fourth book does spend pretty much the whole time on that one planet.

The other plotlines, with Drummer/Ashford, Draper, and Avasarala seemed kind of superfluous, but I guess they're building up to the next season. They were somewhat entertaining on their own, but didn't really impact the main plot of Holden and the crew having their adventures through the ring.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Really enjoyed that.

Sucks that we now have to wait a year for new episodes.

I agree that the Bobby Draper, Drummer and Avasarala story lines all seemed about setting up stuff for the next season.

Mills repped this.
  10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -ish. It's combined books 4 and 5, while simplifying the plot of 4 a LOT and condensing the timeline considerably. I think I'm a bit unusual in that I liked book 4, but it's a bit of a one-off in the series precisely because of it's narrow focus in Ilus. It does seem to be a particular point of entry into the big question, though: who killed the protomoleculists and who/what's waiting for humans on the other side of the ring?

So far, this was my least favorite season of the show, but I still enjoyed it. The fact that I liked this season a bit (but just a bit) less than the others is probably due to the fact that I started reading the books after watching the first 3 seasons, and so approached season 4 with a sense of what should happen based on the books. Whereas reading the books after watching the first 3 seasons allowed me to look back and admire the way the show's writers condensed the complexity of the books in a way that still honored the fundamental elements of the story.