The Expanse (Season 2) [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Goodsport, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season 2 begins on Wednesday, 2/1/17. :)

-G

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
  5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Season premiere tonight. :thumbsup:

-G

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got finished watching Season 1 on Amazon Prime. It's a very good show. Battlestar Galactica will always be #1 in my heart in terms of space opera shows, but The Expanse is a strong argument for second place.

We'll be paying up to watch Season 2 as it becomes available on Amazon streaming (we are cord-cutters).

I wish that the characters of Miller and Holden were more interesting, as they're the ostensible leads. Especially Holden. Started out thinking Amos was a weak character, but by the end of Season 1 he was awesome.

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Season two started at a huge speed with the double episode but episode three hit the brakes a little bit.

Does anyone else kind of have a thing for Fred Johnson's right-hand woman? :oops:

8. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really enjoying Season 3 so far, but I think the proto-molecule is requiring a leeeedle bit too much explanatory dialogue.

9. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoa, a post from 2018. ;)

The space battle in the first episode of the new season was great. Other than that, it has slowed down some, which is fine - you don't need wall to wall space battles to be cool. I do like the addition of the Martian marines to give another perspective.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    who is this new character? the tall Martian Marian Sgt. wikipedia says it's a Kiwi actress who is 5'11.

11. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D'oH!

As for Sgt. Draper, I think she's great. I read an article about how the show creators assumed they could never find an actress who fit her physical description from the books, and were over the moon when they found Frankie Adams, who has a background in boxing.

12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I haven't read the books, but found this online:

I guess she is tall and has the muscular build and Polynesian ancestry, but there is no way she is anywhere close to 2 meters tall.

13. BirdsonFire

BirdsonFire Member

May 9, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They aren't going to be able to show the heights in the books without breaking the bank on special effects.

14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    exactly. Game of Thrones were lucky to find the actress they had for Brienne of Tarth. They lucked in that she was 6'3 and had respectable acting talent and physically fit enough. Only a few women could have ever been adequate for that role

15. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    My love for Drummer deepens. :inlove:

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm so confused this season

17. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see where you're coming from.

I like the pace this show is moving at. They give us a WTF moment every so often - like when the refugee ship spaced some of the refugees, just when we were getting attached to them. And Drummer's scene at the end was a great payoff.

18. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why?

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good news, The Expanse was renewed for a season 3, which will premier in 2018.

As for me, still loving this show. The acting is top notch as is the writing. I love listening to the Belters talk, especially when they're mixing in their creole with the english. I can make out a few of the words, since they use some Italian in there. Pensa is the big one, they say that for think or thinks, me pensa. I recognize some Chinese in there as well. They did a great job with the belter creole.

Belgian guy repped this.
  20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Jared Harris is great at that patter. It's like he truly spoke that language all his life.

I agree it's a great show with a great cast. If it has one minor weakness, it's that the lead is not as compelling an actor as some of the other cast members.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Dante repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I guess I need to re-watch season 1 again and then season 2.

I just don't get a lot of the conflict between the Belters. and say Thomas Jane's character motivation for this season.

22. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Belters are the people ignored by the UN and Mars. They just want them to mine all the minerals, etc, but they don't care about them otherwise. Then within the Belters there are some different factions.

As for Thomas Jane's character, he's basically obsessed with righting the wrong that was done to the girl he was searching for.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I guess it's the factions that confuse me. Fred Johnson and the other guy (Jared Harris plays him).

And I guess the whole thing with TJ's character seems so flat and pointless to me. Honestly I'm more interested in what was going on with the Mars Marines and the whole storyline with the United Nations on Earth.

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fred Johnson is an Earther, he's just in the belt because of what he did during his time in the UN military. Jared Harris' character, Anderson Dawes, is OPA, some might say he's the head of the OPA if there ever was one. They use each other for the convenience, nothing more really.

I didn't realize until the other day that Harris' dad is Richard Harris, pretty cool!

He was a pretty good focal point for a little while, but now that's changed. How far are you in season 2?

25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Thanks for your posts. I'm caught up. Which is why I was curious why they OFF'd his character. Though I know Thomas Jane is filming the Predator so perhaps that is the reason. I'm waiting for wednesday's episode.