The Expanded A-League Expansion Thread II

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by el-capitano, Mar 28, 2018.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    https://www.a-league.com.au/news/ffa-expressions-of-interest-aleague-expansion-plans

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Release of Invitation for EOI

29 March 2018

Closing date for submission of EOI Response

24 May 2018

Confirmation of shortlisted bidders

June 2018

Release of Request for Proposal

11 June 2018

Deadline for submission of proposals

31 August 2018

Announcement

31 October 2018

artml, La Trucha and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  3. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Love it. Been harder to keep up with the league in the US since I don't think they're on TV here anymore, but still want to see the league prosper.

el-capitano repped this.
  4. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they not on FoxSports anymore? Like at 1AM pacific or 3AM central :D

I could have sworn I saw some A-League matches last year.

5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looks like they got back on there when I wasn't paying attention. Most matches seem to be on FSP which is subscription only so that's probably why I missed it.

mike4066 repped this.
  6. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...t/news-story/321396a7cffe740ec29fe59a61c7388e

7. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The shortlist of official bids (total 15) have been announced:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/f...0/news-story/a55c108f7392a908361f1480b819ce8a

My top 2 preferences are Team 11 (SE Melbourne) and Tasmania. Honorary mention is Wollongong Wolves.

mike4066, el-capitano and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  8. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to see Western Melbourne and Wollongong teams!

9. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm struggling to see why some bids that are cannibalising themselves- like the Liverpool bid & Macarthur bid being separate. Or the 549 Melbourne bids. :)

Wollongong, Tassie or Canberra would be my picks for no other criteria than they are in new areas.

10. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have to agree about the Bellgravia, and South Melbourne bids. However I do think that Western Melbourne and the Dandenong area are under-served.

Especially Western Melbourne as that is really the only area that is left to expand into (besides northward).

el-capitano repped this.
  11. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Open the pyramid!

12. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No one at this point knows what the hell the Belgravia Leisure bid is. Which stadium do they plan to play in? What is their catchment?

I also don’t understand why the two SW Sydney bids are separate. It’s also my understanding that that area is booming rapidly (new airport along the way too), is a fair distance from Parramatta, and has its own identity separate from Western Sydney so idk if it’s going to cannibalise WSW much.

The western Melbourne is apparently the same bid as the Victoria Patriots bid, and they have now decided their catchment will be Melbourne’s western suburbs as opposed to Geelong. I think this is foolish, seeing as Geelong is an untapped area while the west feels very MVFC-centric. Not happy, Jan.

Dandenong has been my favourite bid by far ever since it was announced. Team 11’s catchment is an hour from Melbourne CBD (meaning they won’t cannibalise MVFC and MCFC support much) and is booming heavily. On top of this, their stadium location is extremely desirable; walking distance from a train station that also connects regional trains from further out south-east. This bid is the best Melbourne bid IMO.

FYI, Brisbane Strikers officially withdrew from the expansion race if you didn’t already know.

el-capitano and mike4066 repped this.
  13. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have liked to have seen the stadium a bit more north, in the Caroline Springs area, as the rail lines out that way are more established but Tarneit is fine too (although it is growing a lot slower than the area between Caroline Springs and Melton).

14. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I was thinking the same thing. I don’t like Tarneit as the chosen location as it’s out of the way for the rest of western Melbourne. Somewhere around Sunshine would’ve been more ideal IMO, as the train station connects both the metro and regional lines.

I still don’t have a lot of faith behind this bid. It should absolutely not receive higher priority than the Team 11/SE Melbourne bid. I’m salty that this bid moved to western Melbourne as opposed to Geelong.

The sooner the Belgravia Leisure bid comes out and explains their bid and where they will play, the better.

mike4066 repped this.
  15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am partial to this bid as my in-laws are in Taylors Lakes and if I ever move back we more than likely will end up in Melton :D

But yes Sunshine would have been a good choice too but I am not sure where there is space to build in that area.

16. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Chaplin Reserve, where Sunshine George Cross plays, would be an ideal location as it’s within walking distance from Sunshine station. The issue, however, is that it’s a pretty tight space so there wouldn’t be much room to build another AAMI Park.

Also Sunshine isn’t far from the CBD unlike Dandenong, so there is that greater risk of cannibalising MVFC and MCFC support than Team 11.

mike4066 repped this.
  17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The PFA let rip:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...r/news-story/5e8c02e3a773b5736e4b2845e3153677

18. thewitness

thewitness Member

Melbourne Victory, Derby County
    Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Chaplin Reserve has been sold to developers for housing. George Cross are building a new home Taylors Hill. This year they are playing out of Knights Stadium. The only reason Western Melbourne they have chosen Tarneit is because it's Wyndham Council that is backing the bid.

mike4066 repped this.
  19. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    In terms of actual numbers of people Wyndham Shire is actually growing faster than Melton Shire, by 2031 Wyndham is predicted to have just over 400,000 residents compared to Melton's (Shire not town) 270,000. Percentage wise Melton wins out because it has a lower starting point.
    Rockbank North/Kororoit (the area between Melton and Caroline Springs) has a predicted growth rate of 21% compared to Tarneit/Oakbanks's 23%.

mike4066 repped this.
  20. thewitness

thewitness Member

Australia
    Jul 10, 2013
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    We aren't hearing much from the Queensland based bids. Given that a new Queensland club was originally one of the favourites to get in, all 3 haven't shown much yet.

21. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very interesting especially considering all the home building out Melton way. Thanks for that.

22. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well there you go.

It should be worth noting that while Western Melbourne has the support of one council, Team 11 has the support of twelve.

https://www.weareteam11.com/stronger-as-12/

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Ten bidders invited to contest next stage of Hyundai A-League expansion process

• South West Sydney FC
    • United for Macarthur (Sydney)
    • Southern Expansion (Sydney region)
    • Team 11 (Melbourne)
    • South Melbourne FC
    • Western Melbourne Group
    • Brisbane City FC
    • Ipswich Pride FC
    • Canberra & Capital Region
    • Wollongong

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/te...next-stage-hyundai-a-league-expansion-process

24. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sooooo.. AAFC and the CWG.. How does that impact A-League expansion and, by some accounts, the impending decision to implement pro/rel?