The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by YankBastard, May 2, 2011.

1. Quango

Quango BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2003
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Re: TES V: Skyrim

That's funny. I had a very similar experience with killing Lydia. I went into a snow troll den to find a helmet for a homeless guy in Solitude and accidentally hit her with a stray arrow or a shout. I sat there for a long while trying to think what to do. Eventually, I settled on dropping her body down the chasm in the cave so she wouldn't be eaten by trolls.

My wife walked in while I was doing this. I think she was a bit worried about me burying a fictional character in the game.... I'm glad someone else felt that way.

I immediately killed my second companion (bald guy in Solitude) going through Potema's dungeon. Didn't feel bad at all and left him there. The dragr deathlord at the end of that level was a beast, though. I gave up after dying several times last week and finally went back to the game last night. It was about a 20 minute battle of me kiting it the whole way. I immediately paused the game as it died and realized my heart was racing and I had an overwhelming sense of relief. I'll give it to Skyrim that I don't remember having quite that strong a physical reaction to a game ever.

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I got to a point where Lydia was constantly dying, and would be staggered by the most common enemy. Being on a PC and having 400+ saves at the moment, I reloaded to get her back, but there came a point where she got annoying and I just left her at home. I went alone for a while, but that is incredibly tough. I always play very good character, so I wanted a noble companion and I found one in Mjoll. I connected to her way more than Lydia. Maybe because Mjoll talks constantly (sometimes when you are talking to someone else, making it hard to hear what they are saying). Maybe it's her eagerness to carry stuff.

Mostly it's her pluckiness in battle. She wasn't that tough at first, but with very careful management of armor and weapons and enchantments, she's become a total beast. Sometimes I just watch as she takes on a Deathlord, and when she wins (sometimes with a little help) I feel such incredible pride in her accomplishment. I just feel like we have a partnership and she has my back, unlike Lydia or even most Fallout companions (who either need constant protecting or take all the glory).

And being an unkillable character certainly helps.

3. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: TES V: Skyrim

I always save right b/4 really tough fight.. I try to replay it if my companion dies, or I position him to wait far back, so by the time I kite back to him, 1/2 the fight is over. Not so much that I care aboout losing a comapnion, I just cant loot his body b/c all the crap he is carrying is too heavy, and too valuable to leave behind.

I do find though, that comapnions do some bone headed things. Countless times They just run out into a dragon, and die. And since you cant instruct them to flee a fight, you are stuck reloading.
    Its one of the reasons I am getting to hate dragon fights. They always happen when you least want them to. Just right when you are in the middle of trying to do something, or are fast traveling to wear off vendor inventory being 0, or stores being closed, etc.

4. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I gave Jordis a set of enchanted dragon armor and she's proven a near indestructible tank since then. She can also handle most low and mid-level opponents on her own.

5. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Detect Life spell was really useful in finishing a couple of quests I couldn't do because the person I needed to talk to was camouflaged or off in the forest somewhere.

So now I'm married and have a dog. The weird thing about marrying Mjoll is that her former housemate moves in with you. I didn't think I was the jealous type, but I don't trust that guy. She also does the wifely things during our adventures. I can get the proceeds of the shop every day, or home cooked meals out in the middle of nowhere. It does mean her selection menu is unreasonably long now.

I'm thinking of joining the Empire because I'm running out of quests and places to walk. I've done lots of walking, but I don't get a lot of encounters. A couple of hunters, a couple of farmers, a couple of thieves, sometimes a mage fight or a Empire/Stormcloak fight. I did get a couple of kids selling Dwarf gears. The only thing really interesting was a destroyed wagon with the dead carpet traders nearby with a journal explaining what happened. It put me in a fury. I went to the nearby outlaw fort and I just massacred them.

--

A courier gave me a note, but because I had so many notes on my person I couldn't tell what he gave me. So I went to a home and put all my notes in the bookshelf to sort them. But when you put a note on a bookshelf, the information is lost. So I have no idea what happened. Is there any way of learning what the last message was?

6. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hi all, I've got a problem with a quest called J'zargo's Experiment (PC). He wanted me to test some fire scrolls he made on 3 undead. I'd used them on 2 when I decided to have a go at the 3rd, but the problem was that I was in dungeon full of 'em and it says that I've tested them on 7/3 (too many). This apparently makes the quest unfinishable although I have found this: https://unofficialskyrimpatch.16bugs.com/projects/7078/bugs/214220

Does anyone understand the solution mentioned there? Is it something to do with the console, or does something need changing in the game data? Computer illiterate here, and I'd really appreciate some help.

Cheers

7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
  8. Republic of Mancunia

Aug 24, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSDfxde8fSg"]Arrow to the Knee - YouTube[/ame]

9. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Here's a question. I have Oblivion, have played it for quite a while off and on but am nowhere close to finishing it. Story-wise, is it worth finishing Oblivion before you play Skyrim?

10. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's not necessary, no.

11. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Anybody else read the books in Skyrim? I don't really read the histories or biographies, but I like the story and joke books. The Lusty Argonian Maid is hilarious.

12. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    I only read some of them before I got a little tired of it. That was a pretty funny one. I also enjoyed the one about the lockpicker and her teacher - don't remember the name.

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone completed Skyrim as a member of the Dark Brotherhood yet?

14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Haven't played much in the last couple of weeks due to lack of time, I'm really looking forward to diving back in and finishing the main quest.

15. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bifmj1O3D24"](Skyrim) Macho Dragon Mod - YouTube[/ame]

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone go after the Emperor on the ship and then a thug appeared randomly and killed the Emperor?

17. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcCetcbp5oM"](Skyrim) Pony Horse mod - YouTube[/ame]

18. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There's a new 1.4 patch, and things seem a lot smoother than before on my machine. It's also fixed a few quests so I can finally solve the murders in Windhelm. It kind of sucked because I had to keep returning to a keep where everyone sneered at me and wished I would die just because of my little part in the Empire ransacking their city and killing their leader.

I'm still trying to visit every marked place on the map. I have a printed map, but there are so many locations and the in-game map is 3d so it's hard to tell what I've seen or not. I wish there was a Fallout see-everything style perk. There isn't even an achievement for finding everything, so I can't tell if I've done it or not.

The Skyrim creation kit will be released soon. I'm trying to think of good ideas for quests.

19. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Creation Kit is out now. I took a quick look at it, and it seems that having characters with a little complexity is very hard, and the documentation quickly goes from helpful to useless once you get past the basics. I had an idea for a follower with a interesting personality, but it won't be easy.

There is also a new high resolution pack. It seems to crash my computer with a powerful CPU and great graphic card but only 3 megs of memory.

20. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
  21. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can get the 1.5 patch early if you sign up for the beta program. It fixes a few more quest errors, but I didn't see any new content. But the stuff people are creating themselves is really amazing.

I'm 8th level in a new game. I notice I die a lot less this time. I'm doing lots of magic and almost no swordplay - it makes the game easier.

22. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems a little out of place for some reason LOL

23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Official trailer for the upcoming The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dawnguard game add-on (DLC for consoles, Expansion Pack for the PC):

Scheduled for Summer 2012 (no exact date given yet), but with one caveat: it will be released exclusively for the Xbox 360 for thirty days, after which it will then be released for the other platforms. :eek:

-G

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are add-ons a new concept? I've never heard of it until I saw a trailer of the Skyrim add-on on comingsoon.net. Then again I'm not a big gamer and just recently started playing "regularly" lol