The Efrain Alvarez Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Rahbiefowlah, May 19, 2018.

1. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was offered to play for the Netherlands. He doesn't.

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    When was that?

3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Two of our posters have inside info on this in communicating with Dest himself. He's been approached by the Dutch federation and is good enough for them, but would rather represent the US. He toyed with Diego Lainez in that U20 final.

4. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, Antonee Robinson confirmed he was offered a callup from England U21 earlier this year but declined it for a USMNT callup the same month. So the player who had the game-winning assist against Mexico's seniors in September, and the player who shut down Mexico's top U20 player in November, were both raised in Europe and approached by their respective major European federations but still prefer to represent the US.

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And we should trust unnamed sources, which don't even tell that Dutch Federation offered anything to them. Sure convincing and definitely because he loves USA that much.

6. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get why you're so obstinate to refute it. This should be welcoming news.

7. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I think we all could look into the mirror and offer a little more grace to dual nationals. I doubt anyone offering their criticism has faced a similarly complicated decision.

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I have.

9. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How? Based on your reactionary comments it doesn't seem like it.

10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    9 out of 10 refugees would support me and the tenth left the country.

11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    There have been a lot of dual-nationals at the FCD academy, and its a really tough and difficult decision for these kids. Kids mind you. Not matter which way you choose, you feel like you're letting a whole bunch of people down that have invested in you.

Dirt McGirt repped this.
  12. The Dutch federation doesnot offer a thing. It's the coach who decides who's going to be selected, not the FA.

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    That's what I thought.

14. Doesnot mean he'snot asked by the coach, but normally that goes through the club coach when the Orange coach intends to call up a young player. Havenot heared from that side either he has turned down a request, but that also doesnot mean it didnot happen.

15. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Dest would have to do a one time switch. Typically a young player would not do that unless they are called up to the full NT.

As far as I can tell, all dual nationals have followed the "first come, first served" rule. An uncapped YNT will go to the first country to offer a YNT cap. A capped YNT will do a one time switch or cap-bind themselves to the first country offering an NT cap.

We keep talking "loyalty" and "preference" but players seem to always follow the above rule.

Tom Collingsworth and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no knowledge if there is some let's say more comfort with the US for dual racial dual national kids but Johnson, Chandler, Jones, Robinson and Dest all fit. Of course Johansen couldn't have been more white unless Icelanders can tell ivory from porcelain.

17. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hmm...

18. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing to hmm.. about, Galaxy had quite possibly the worst academy structure, Te Klose giving the younger guys more attention seems to lighten the mood in camp and hopefully he’s changing the way it’s operating. Efraín just so happpens to be in that mess. I’m glad it’s being sorted.

19. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't judge a change in atmosphere until the young cats are actually playing.

Pl@ymaker and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ibrahimovic: Galaxy's 16-year-old forward Efrain Alvarez is 'ready'

"Efra is only 16," Ibrahimovic told reporters after training on Thursday. "I saw him last season. He's doing amazing things and I think that in MLS he's the best 16-year-old that exists today, so I think everyone is excited, everyone is waiting for him to show himself, to demonstrate who he is.

"He's young, but I don't like to say he's young or old or whatever, if he's ready, he's ready and I think he's ready," continued the Swede.

Alvarez was born in nearby East Los Angeles to Mexican parents and used to represent his birth country at international level, but decided to move to the Mexican youth national team program in 2016.

"Something happened during my last training session with the U.S.," Alvarez told ESPN in Sept. 2018. "My parents got mad and everything, and when I came to Mexico they told me that if I wanted to go there, they would support me going forward. So I took the decision to come here [to Mexico] to see if I liked it, and when I got back I told them that I wanted to stay."

21. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    I think all the discussion of dual-nats is mostly on point. Generally speaking players will go with the country that they feel like they will get the highest amount of involvement with, unless one country is significantly better than the other. E.G: Rossi picking Italy, or Aron Johannson picking USA.

The big difference between the USA and Mexico, is although Mexico dominated everything pre-1990s the series has been interesting since. Mexico had a slight edge in the 90s (5 wins, 6 draws, to 3 US Wins). We dominated the 2000s (10 wins, 2 draws, to Mexico's 4 wins) including a win in the first knockout round at the World Cup. I was surprised that the 2010's have been a little more even than I thought (4 US wins, 3 draws, 3 Mexico wins), but Mexico have beaten us more when it mattered vs mere friendlies of recent note.

Why bring this up in an Efrain Alvarez thread? Because the reality is that both the USA and Mexico are very similar programs capable of reaching heights in international soccer. In addition our dual nationals are going to feel more pressure from both sides because growing up in El Paso Texas or Tijuana Mexico creates an experience with both countries. Ultimately, I think we should respect that everyone's ability to have a choice in that matter. Especially when both programs equally want them. In some cases it's as simple as honoring the wishes of your parents who put you in that position. In some cases it's which federation has been loyal to me. Sometimes, the player feels more of an obligation to one country over the other.

Either way, excited to see Efrain play in the MLS this year.

22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    assist for him and it was very cheeky

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  23. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice assist for “No Chin Alvarez”

24. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    I think it's interesting that Efra is dogged by the same sort of work ethic/athleticism stereotypes that Carleton is. These are two of the most brilliant players in the league -- regardless of age -- so the idea that they can't hack it in MLS because of their physicality or some intangible seems lazy.

They are also very similar in that their ball striking is at an off the chain elite level. They are both technical wizards when it comes to striking the ball. Yet, people still get caught in stereotypes based on their body type or twitter account.

25. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Meh, this was my first time watching Efra. And he was making his MLS debut and was a sub, and still seemed to meander around the field more than anyone. And on a team with Ibra, that is hard. There is no denying he played a few great balls, but I wonder if his style, if Blanco esq, can survive in the modern game. With more and more teams using a high press or atleast pressuring the ball much higher up the pitch, players like Efra/Carlton may struggle. You can see some of the backlash a player like Ozil gets if he isn't producing.