The Education Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by saosebastiao, Jan 4, 2008.

1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what stuns me. It is not that hard to figure out that if you don't financially support the top half (in any government job) they will leave. And in the case of teachers, leave the state.

2. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

Yeah. I spoke to my friend in KYDOT and he made it clear that a lot of people are going to move to the private sector, cash out their vacation and sick days and take everything they can before the state decides to come for it. He presumed that the reason the teachers were targeted is that they are the toughest, most organized nut to crack. After the teachers, you can go down the line and state workers pensions with ease.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  3. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure what your point is with your comment, but apart from the aspect where he did not complete his formal education on his own, he was savvy enough and intelligent enough to figure out how to cheat and get away with it. It is interesting that when outsiders go to Native Indian schools, they see this behavior all the time. But it is because Native Indians see things as a community.

roby repped this.
  5. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    My point is...is this a great country or what! :thumbsup:

ps...as has been recently been proven the old saying "anyone can grow up to be President" has come to bite us in the tushkie!

dapip repped this.
  6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44288982

Hotter years 'mean lower exam results'

Surprise!

As one who grew up in the hot side of LA and taught in hot and not-as-hot environments/situations, this is true. Extreme cold also effects students, too. Also, not surprising...

The study also found the impact of the heat was much greater on low income families and students from ethnic minorities.

There were suggestions that wealthier families and schools in disadvantaged areas were more likely to intervene if pupils were slipping behind and to find ways to compensate, such as extra tuition.

But it says a "simpler explanation" might be greater access to air conditioning in more affluent families and the schools their children attend.

Access to good air conditioning matters. Well, that is a surprise (having worked in a classroom in which the AC unit regularly failed).

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, I don't think there's a single Ivy that plays there home games in such a cool venue.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Damn right.

11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is called the Wharton School of Business?

dapip repped this.
  12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Their. Their home games. Not "there."

The Palestra
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a basketball arena?

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It's the only good stadium in the Ivies. Penn hosted the first ever Ivy tournament this year and won, thanks to a big comeback in the final supported by the crowd.. The thought was to have Penn host every year, because again it's the only real stadium in the conference, but the other coaches aren't so sure that makes sense.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It is. Check the windows on the interior shot and you can see how they match up with the exterior.

Penn has an interesting football/track and field stadium, too...

[​IMG]

soccernutter repped this.
  16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Palestra kind of reminds me of the Yost hockey building at Michigan. A small, old-style gym still getting use today. And this stadium... do programs like Penn ever get 50K to watch them stumble around in helmets and pads? Ole Miss plays 59K max at Vaught-Hemingway.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Franklin Field used to host the Army/Navy game. It was the home of the Eagles, way back in the day.

My guess is that the biggest crowd at the stadium nowadays is for the Penn Relays.

The Palestra has hosted more college hops than any other venue, not least because five Phillie-based colleges besides Penn will play games there. Penn State will play a home game there every now and then.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Nope, as Doc says the big crowds come for the annual Penn Relays track meet. Franklin Field is the oldest football stadium in the country, dating to 1895. It's pretty cool, albeit underused.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  19. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    TBH Yale wins the "gym that doesn't look like a gym" prize for the Ivies:
    [​IMG]

The basketball arena inside is generic, but the pool with its very steep seating bowl is pretty cool:

[​IMG]

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Singaporeans may think this, but smaller classes also mean more union fee paying members and isn't that what is important.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yet ...

American schools would have some damn good test scores if 70% of parents signed up their kids for supplemental lessons.

ceezmad repped this.
  23. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    It feels like if you need to sign up your kid for supplemental lessons, maybe the schools themselves aren't all that good.

fatbastard repped this.
  24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I read it differently. Singapore has an education culture. As with sports here. The parents do what they feel they need to do to get their kids ahead. Only, instead of spending $$$ and 10 hours per week driving the kid to club soccer, it's for tutoring.

I was reading an article about 60 kids prepping for an 8th grade test, to get into a NY magnet public high school. They were all Asian. The tutor said, "These kids have been preparing since they were in kindergarten. If your kid hasn't been doing the same, you're way behind."

The high school (Stuyvesant) is 72% Asian.

So I don't think this is a commentary on Singapore schools, good or bad. Either way, the parents will want more. That is what matters to them.

ceezmad repped this.
  25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes this article or a different one talks about how they are trying to curve on the extra study since it can be very stressful for the kids.

But yes, the higher scores that the kids in East Asia get may all be related to the extra after hours study and not to the quality of the teachers or size of the classes.

Personally I think the school day should be much longer (I say this since I am out of school) but perhaps a 10 hour school day is what we need, it would be a great help for working parents IMO, but surly much more expensive as you would need 2 different shifts of teachers to cover all that time.

Then again that would still not stop "tiger moms" from signing up their kids for extra schooling to get them past 14 hours of study per day.