The Education Thread

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by saosebastiao, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Betsy DeVos and Trump about to take away loan forgiveness if one either works for the government or in rural/underserved areas for an extended period of time.

I don't think they understand that you have to meet guidelines for the loan forgiveness and that the people actually pay off a sizeable chunk of the loan. This is pretty big in rural healthcare, teaching, and government services. The majority of people live there because they get their loan paid off. Those hospitals and offices don't generate the money to attract nurses and doctors and teachers by just offering more cash.

I would put money they think the government is just giving money to poor people. BTW, Bush signed this in 07. Obama tried capping the amount of forgivable loan unsuccessfully.

soccernutter, flowergirl and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Finally, someone on this board who was raised right. :D
    Sweet potato pie (and honestly, I like casserole better) with pecans on top....
    Hoo-eee. I'm so hungry now.
    Also, I made that same salad. Shoney's for the win.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm assuming SoFi sponsored this bill.​

4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is God's name are you doing eating sweet potato pie? That is one of the most disgusting dishes ever created my humankind.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In fairness, since no one has yet been able to take advantage of the loan forgiveness, it is unknown how much it is. I've heard estimates of between $2Bil and $5Bil, those numbers possibly being on the end (the $2Bil almost certainly). That said, it is still very necessary. I wonder if DeVos understands that they might effect her charter school plan.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  6. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You poor, sad little man.

Auriaprottu and soccernutter repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Literally nobody I know pronounces it that way. It's always been "Cha-Cha".
    The spelling, tho, is duly noted. It's not like I have to go to the store and buy it, so I never saw a jar with a label until I was in my mid-30s.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You, sir, are dead to me! Dead!

soccernutter repped this.
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without that horrid food, I am greatful dead!

Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Oh geez....here comes another 3 pages of the 70's vs the 80's. :eek:

dapip, soccernutter and russ repped this.
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Yup, 1970s to 1980s.

roby repped this.
  12. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Hey ... I know that guy in the middle. That's Gomez Adams! :coffee:

13. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Did you guys know in Spanish Gomez Adams is actually called Homero Adams since Gomez is really a last name?

True story

:cautious:

dapip and roby repped this.
  14. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I cannot thank you enough for that important bit of information. [meh] :rolleyes:

dapip and Pønch repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Is this the Dead? Where's Garcia?

16. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    He's on the run with Carmen Sandiego. Waldo is in the trunk! :unsure:

Auriaprottu repped this.
  17. Transparent_Human

Oct 15, 2006
    Pale blue dot
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mauritius

As a 28-year-old, I never expected or am planning Medicare, SS or my municipal pension existing when I retired.

But seriously? PSLF? The one thing that I planned my life around financially and I am 3 years in payments for is going to get taken away? Instead, I can pay for 30 years?

**** this country. Hard. Next, I'll see a story about how "Why aren't millennials buying vacation homes?"

dapip repped this.
  18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been turned down 3 times now - will keep applying just to piss them off

In a year or two, the same bubble that happened to the mortgage industry will happen to the student loan industry, hopefully under Trump/Pence, and hopefully SoFi, Navient will not be bailed out.

19. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add Nelnet to that list.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #3720 Dr. Wankler, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017

Former dean at Yale...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/21/us/yale-dean-yelp-white-trash.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=1&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/21/us/yale-dean-yelp-white-trash.html&eventName=Watching-article-click

A dean at Yale who was placed on leave after she left online reviews recommending a restaurant for “white trash” customers and describing movie theater workers as “barely educated morons” has left her position permanently, a college official said.

Dr. June Y. Chu, who was appointed in May 2016 as the dean of Pierson College, one of Yale’s residential colleges, posted a series of reviews on Yelp that were published by the Yale Daily News last month with screenshots of 10 of them dating back to 2015. The newspaper said that the reviews had caught the attention of Pierson students and had circulated among them.

And it turns out that she wasn't a cultural awareness dean, but a dean f a residential college, which at Yale is a title you get if you assume a bit more undergraduate advising than usual. The "cultural awareness" was the internet trying to add irony to a stuation that wasn't really marked by irony, just stupidity.

soccernutter and JohnR repped this.
  21. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the dean of the residential colleges at Yale are the ones who are supposed to make sure that the students are progressing academically according to plan. If you're in danger of flunking out, the dean gets involved. Each college is roughly 400 students (100 per year, more or less), and 95% of those have no academic issues, so the dean doesn't need to get involved with them. I never dealt with the dean. I helped the dean's assistant with her computer, because I was the tech support guy for the college, but I don't think the dean knew who I was. Which is fine with me.

The master -- now called "head", for reasons that are totally obvious in hindsight, but this only changed a year or two ago with the kerfuffle about Calhoun College (now renamed to Hopper College after Grace Hopper) and the "master" of said college named for a prominent defender of slavery, with African American students in the college who were, shall we say, not in love with the idea of having a "master" -- was much more involved with student life. I remember Master Adams, he came to visit me when I got meningitis and was in the hospital for a week as a freshman.

I looked both of them up just now. The former Dean wrote this late last year. The former Head is apparently still alive - he seemed elderly to me when I was there, graduated 25 years ago, but according to this, his wife died last year. She was cool too. The Head and his family lived in the college - the dean did not - so we saw her pretty often. Those notes talk about having Thanksgiving dinner if you're not going somewhere else - the one year I stayed for Thanksgiving, we had Thanksgiving at their house, which was attached to the college. It was great, as good as you can hope for if you can't be with family for Thanksgiving.

So yeah, when the dean goes, the students don't make a big deal out of it, because you only really get to know the dean if you're in trouble with your classes. The Dean is the bad cop, the Head is the good cop. Something like that.

JG, russ and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm especially impressed, in the current case, with the outpouring of support from free speech advocates who are defending the dismissed dean and telling the white people she made fun of to just toughen up and deal with it. Those who defended Milo Yappingapolis are all ver this. Good on them.

soccernutter and Smurfquake repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nce-classes/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.f72302f99b60

Fifty years. That's whether Trump leaves tomorrow or stays for two full terms.

24. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    InTheSun, Auriaprottu and dapip repped this.
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But is not only him; it is ALEC and the tropes of GOP legislators that let our state be testing grounds for all the insane policies that their wealthy donors want to impose.

I really wish that there was a way to go after all that chain of antidemocratic radicalism.

flowergirl repped this.