The Don't Fire Anyone Thread!

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Todorojo, Feb 20, 2018.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s Yura’s fault. That $2MM would buy some nicely upgraded depth on the defensive side.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

3. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    The fact that Del Loy bought him out instead of keeping him on the roster signals that they plan to use his roster space and DP spot, if they can, during the midseason transfer window.

BalanceUT and RSLer repped this.
  4. pate

pate Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought RSL was at 31 players and needed to drop 1 (Yura) to make the roster limit, so there is no 'roster space'. I'd love to be wrong about that though.

Todorojo repped this.
  5. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's always someone at the bottom of the totem pole. And, usually, that person doesn't know they are at the bottom of the totem pole.

trackrunner and goobx1 repped this.
  6. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Is isn't yura's fault. It is Craig Weibels fault for giving him that much money. He never deserved it . Don't see what Weibel saw to do that. Yuma never produce for that much money.

7. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone is quick to pile on Waibel for Yura's contract, but are we sure it was purely him? Did DLH weigh in on it and push Craig to extend Yura and get the deal done?

trackrunner and BalanceUT repped this.
  8. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, it was during DLH's daze of nostalgia.

9. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will agree the contract was on the high side to begin with. The real problem was extending it after not showing he was worth it. It's not like he lit up the league in his first year back.

trackrunner repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all we have is speculation and suggestion of this from people with connections to the team. I don't buy it as DLH forcing Waibel's hand. That's way too convenient of a miss.

rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.
  11. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Not speculation, DLH copped to it in a radio interview - although he didn't say he twisted Waibel's arm. DLH said when he heard Yura was interested in coming back to US he knew that RSL had to get it done. Said he always had a dream of having Yura back in RSL kit. Gave credit to Waibel & Pat McCabe (agent) for getting the deal done.

In addition, they started recruiting Yura 18 months before Waibel was named GM (or actually TD initially).

RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I remember the story well, but I think that there had to be some negotiating room between a guaranteed 3 years at $2mil/yr and him not coming back to RSL at all. Wasn't that after the first year on loan?

Ultimately, DLH agreed to pay $1.5mil/yr out of his own pocket for the guy back when he was meddling quite a bit with player selection, so you gotta believe he bears the brunt of blame. We haven't ever signed anyone like him before or after, with *possibly* the exception of Burrito.

RSLer and Lizzie Bee repped this.
  13. Lizzie Bee

Lizzie Bee Member+

Jul 27, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. The guaranteed salary thing came after he's been with us a year, right? So likely a cluster******** all around.

14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It amounts to a $6 Million dollar lesson learned for DLH. That’s the sort of lesson one tends to learn too. Also by telling Waibel to get it done, Yura’s agent had the best hand from the beginning. They milked RSL. I have to step back from any blame of Waibel given the circumstances.

15. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Well dang, who ever wrote this post sure looks like an idiot now. Not saying everyone needs to be fired yet, but dang this team sucks currently. I mean, they really just are not good.

RSLer, Taragui and Ismitje repped this.
  16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guy that should be feeling the heat is Petke. Waibel is fine, IMO, as there is enough talent on this team to be a playoff contender (though I'm not sure if much more than that). Everything wrong right now falls under the job description of the head coach.

Todorojo repped this.
  17. Todorojo

Todorojo Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Weber, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think Petke knows it too. He has been pretty pissed and short in the post game interviews this season. He is definitely not enjoying himself so far this season.

18. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm beginning to think the end of last season may have gotten our hopes up a little too high. Out of curiosity, I checked this season's results against last season. We're basically the same as last year, just with a worse defense.

2017 - (over 6 games) 1 W, 3 L, 2 D. GF: 6. GA: 8. GD: -2
    2018 - (over 6 games) 2 W, 3 L, 1 D. GF: 6. GA: 14. GD: -8

It seems like we're still dealing with the same issues as last year: Slow start and an inefficient attack.

rslfanboy repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is the most damning thing to Petke I've seen yet. Dear god, that's terrible.

RSLer repped this.
  20. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    So, it seems that we've seen the two extremes between Cassar and Petke: super laid-back and super-intense. If results are basically the same, what's the winning coaching formula?

21. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holding people accountable and making the best use of the available talent are the two coaching characters in the pro sports that I put at the top of the list. Intensity level is down the list although I prefer, generally, higher intensity.

22. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in general higher intensity should be better. I would think being more laid back would breed complacency in the squad. Ultimately though, people need to be held accountable. It feels like so far with Kreis, Cassar, and Petke, it's like they grab the 11 they want to play, then run them into the ground regardless of results. It's frustrating to see certain players not up to par, but they continue to get minutes. As someone on the bench, or trying to make the 18, what incentive is there to do better in training if you're not going to get a chance when others aren't doing well?

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    having tactics worth a damn

goobx1 repped this.