The Donovan Omission: Six Months Later

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by keller4president, Nov 9, 2014.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'd like to see him take de Jong's spot. Sit in front of the back four and use his ability to read the game and quickness/speed to intercept passes and break up plays while being an outlet for the ball and distribute to the front 5. Let the younger kids have a chance to fill Zardes position and doing all the running.

2. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I believe this will open the door to him being a 90-minute every game player in Russia if we make it there.

It shows grit.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't mind Donovan being called for January camp and maybe the Gold Cup just like last cycle.
    Why not.

Don Ovan, let's see what you got...

4. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way on earth Klinnsman calls him in to the national team.

5. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    Even if Klinsmann were inclined to do so, it's a bit early to call for his return to the USMNT. He he hasn't even shown that he will be useful to the Galaxy let alone the national team. I think it is a good gamble by Arena; little risk and high potential reward but let him have a few weeks to show he can deal with MLS first.

By the way, I think Klinsy hates Feilhaber waaaay more than Donovan. I could almost see Klinsy choosing Donovan just to mess with Feilhaber.

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Do people think our coaches sit around and think about stuff like this? Do they really think Klinsmann spends much, if any, time worried about Feilhaber? I tend to doubt it and definitely hope not.

exref, orcrist, juveeer and 1 other person repped this.
  7. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    "I'm not surprised to see a lot of questions about Landon Donovan," a laughing Klinsmann said to open his chat. "I think it's pretty cool that Landon is back on the field. He just wants to give it another shot. So obviously he's been gone for quite a while, coming back is not going to be easy for him, but with the experience of Bruce Arena at the Galaxy I'm sure that they're going to time him the right way and build him the right way towards the playoffs.

"There's no better thing in life than kicking the ball around, then playing. Every time a player kind of comes to me and asks, 'When is the right moment to stop? What should I do?' I always tell them 'Go as long as you can, because these days when you played the game are not coming back anymore, so as long as your body is going strong, keep playing.'

"I think it's pretty cool that Landon is back."

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016/09/12/jurgen-klinsmann-landon-donovan-comeback-la-galaxy-usmnt

8. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    It appears he does sit around and thinks about stuff like that.

9. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    so ... you've extrapolated from Klinsmann responding to 'lots of questions' about Donovan that he is considering giving him a callup just to mess with Feilhaber?

coldfusion and juveeer repped this.
  10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    No, that he does sit around and read, watch and opine/comment on players he won't consider for a callup.

11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    fair enough. guess we didn't read bsky's (first) quote there the same way.

12. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the case of Jurgen, people don't think he even thinks, never mind sit around thinking, never mind sit around thinking of Donovan or Feilhaber.
    "I Dream of Donnie" is Moore his style.

OWN(yewu)ED and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  13. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me, too.

14. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I was only half serious, but I wouldn't expect a real coach to keep people off a team du
    Frankly I don't actually know what to think about Klinsmann. What I find worrying is that I believe there is at least some reason to believe that some decisions about the USMNT are made (or at least have been made in the past) for non soccer reasons. I know that many people disagree and I might be wrong in this but I think it is telling that a player who is arguably on the best run of form out of almost any player in the USMNT thought it was a someone playing a prank on him when he was called in for the preliminary roster (as an injury replacement) for the latest pair of quailifiers.

I hope it is obvious but I'll say it anyway: if a player truly believes the manager chooses his players based upon soccer reasons than a player on an extended great run of form would expect to be called in to at least a friendly and wouldn't be surprised to be placed onto a preliminary roster against SV&G.

Is this proof that Klinsmann will call Donovan into the team to mess with Feilhaber? No! Do I believe Klinsmann will do it? No! It was meant as a joke. It may not be the funniest joke you have ever heard but it is funnier (and sadder) if you believe there is an element of truth to the joke. Not very funny I would guess if you don't believe there is any element of truth to the joke.

15. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I don't agree with a lot that he does, but the things people claim are for non-soccer reasons are things he at least thinks will be good for the team... Short and/or long term. The guy has a very tough job. There are many things that he thinks is wrong with our program and culture, and he is trying to change those things. That is not an easy thing to do, especially when most are entrenched in the way things are. He's not picking very roster based on just who he thinks is the best today or who will be the best at the next key point, but also trying increase the competition within the team so players strive for more in their careers.

He's trying get the team to the next level. There are people around here who think a player has a couple good games and they should be called up. I get why there is value to a January camp, but also think it is odd that we have free tryouts every year. Nguyen had a great year, not very good, but great and he got called in. Kljestan has continued to improve and he got called in. I'm not convinced he is up to it and won't stall out against better competition, but happy he got a look and will be interested to see what he does with it. Nagbe got called in and has looked decent but can see the things a coach might not like.

We've talked for years about how our youth players feel entitled and our players can get complacent. My take is that he has put together a team of "fighters" and will expect players to out work those guys or be so much better and meet some minimum work standard. I think with the quality of MLS, our standard should be at the level of what it took for Nguyen and Kljestan to get called in. I hope Kljestan succeeds and players can decide to fight to reach that level or claim they don't have a fair shake and that great season can become an aberration.

I'm glad it was a joke, and not surprised. My question was more for others.

16. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have clearly never been part of a group selection process. JK worries about Bennie every day, just like the others he has excluded. He actively hopes they suck to justify his selections. The recent inclusion of Sascha K is the unicorn. Sasha must really be killing it. People like Klinnsman want the EXCLUDED to wither and die.

It is much easier to get a first time call up, than for an old player who has fallen out of favor to be included in Klinnsman's world. He got the national team coaching job because he is a political animal. JK isn't going to bring a player like BK who would make him look like he has overlooked the obvious. He may bring Landon in if he thinks he can make him look bad, but he will never bring him in if he thinks he can contribute.

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @DeepWilcox - never attribute to psychopathy what can be attributed to being a JuerK.

18. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have two views on this. I "wouldn't mind" it because the overwhelming insanity revolving around such a decision would be hilarious. It would fill the post-Trump void of insanity I figure we'll be seeing by mid-November.

On the other hand, I would mind it because there's almost no chance Landon would merit a call up.

19. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Wouldn't merit a call up? he is still a top 23 player easily for the USA. He's the greatest player ever to touch your football in America soccer. He's done more than any person in history for our game. I think that's enough to earn him a call up. Any other country would do it for their star player. We have an idiot as a manager. Any other manager, would call a blended Donavin and would have him in Russia.. He still better than half the players we call up. I don't care how long he's been out of soccer.

20. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xsoccerfanx, Marko72 and juveeer repped this.
  21. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

Putting aside his age, time out of the game, JK's ulterior motives or lack thereof, I think some interesting questions would be:

Is there any position of need that LD might be able to fill against Mexico / Costa Rica either as a starter or a locker room presence? Would a psychological advantage or disadvantage result from his inclusion? Is his current form below? / on par? / or above that of Bedoya, Zusi, an injured Zardes, an injured JJ, a less than fully fit Dempsey. Becks, Wondo?

I'm not militating for any particular answers but I would like to hear some of your opinions. IMO, these are the only questions that matter.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  22. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    I'd say November is too soon. We don't have to win these games and need to continue to focus on building for the future. His inclusion would seem more gimmicky or desperate and doubt JK would do either.

If he can get fit and wants to fight his way back onto the team, why not? We are weak at his best position and could balance us out by playing out wide on the right. FJ & CP on the left and DY & LD on the right. Maybe having a bunch of fighters might be the right complement, would probably go with Bradley and Nagbe or Kljestan (though not sold on either).

23. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    @dspence2311 , this doesn't belong in N&A

Also, really found this quite disrespectful to compare this 16 yo situation to what everything LD did.

24. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I did not post on this thread. You appear to have taken a post from another thread and replied to it here. I don’t know why this is such a sore subject for you, but mine was a throwaway comment that seems to have triggered you. I did not mean to cause offense but I cannot apologize for it because I do t think it is out of line or offensive.

25. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Donovan omission eight years later. He should offer Klinsmann an assistant position at San Diego Loyal.