The Donovan Omission: Six Months Later

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by keller4president, Nov 9, 2014.

1. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Wow!!!! And I get accused of long posts. I don't know where you got the idea I didn't watch the games. I watched every one of the last eight MLS games I've been discussing. I've watched every World Cup game Donovan has ever played in. In the last six months I've watched full replays of Germany 2002, Ghana 2006, and Ghana 2010 as well as the the second half of the Algeria 2010.

Before I respond and hopefully upgrade my argument from shit, could you please define the "most clutch player". Please define how one player outperforms another. It seems like it is goals and assists unless LD doesn't win in that category and then it becomes chances created (I think we all know stats like this can be manipulated) or recoveries (but ignore multiple poor defensive plays leading to goals or good chances for the other team).

2. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When it comes to defending JK Ubermensch from ld undermensch, on this thread, it is all Bsky Business.

WrmBrnr and Martin Fischer repped this.
  3. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Slightly off-topic, but does anyone have videos of Donovan's games during his first loan spell with Everton. I'd love to make a highlight video from them!

Thanks!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really sure what your argument is. You're trying to say that 1) Donovan coasted in the last few games of the season, which 2) follows some kind of pattern of lack of commitment that justifies his exclusion from the World Cup. The problems I see with this argument are:

1) Donovan didn't play poorly in those games. We both seem to have different "gut" reactions to his play in those games; but I supported mine with stats that show he was very involved in the game (created lots of chances, was fouled a lot, won lots of recoveries). You supported your assessment with dubious examples from YouTube highlights, then hand-wave the stats I supported as "manipulating the numbers".

2) There is really no evidence of a "pattern" of Donovan coasting in games or otherwise being unreliable. This is a popular criticism against him that doesn't follow the facts. A poster here broke down in painstaking detail just how reliant the US team was on Donovan's goals, even during the Klinsmann era. Even in 2012, when he was openly talking about retirement for the first time, he had an excellent MLS season that ended with another championship and demolished Scotland.

I thought, at first, you were just giving an assessment of Donovan's career overall. But if we're talking about his exclusion from the WC squad, most of your points are irrelevant because even if you were underwhelmed by Donovan's performances, no one that went to the WC in his place were capable of duplicating them. So as I said, I'm confused by your argument.

5. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    here is a news Flash! Mr Donovan has just announced that the WC winning WUSNT would beat the Men's National Team hands down, albeit after a tough game, since the men have no finishers according to an exclusive UK Daily Mail interview.
    Think this guy carries a grudge, I am afraid that is for me just a childish pouter throwing darts......

6. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Woah... I think he just out Julie Foudy'd Julie Foudy! As I said in my first post in is thread, the wheels are off, someone please give him some guidance. He is so far from the higher road that I'm not sure his GPS can. Bocanegra pick up the phone and call your old friend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ultimate-match-Alex-Morgan-says-Bring-on.html

7. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #782 iad_22201, Jul 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    Or insanity, in light of the last two posts...

WrmBrnr and chad repped this.
  8. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow Donovan ACTUALLY believes this!! There's no way he's just being polite and acknowledging the success of the women's team. He is LITERALLY a traitor to the USMNT. #SMDH

superdave and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Is he serious?

Then again our women are really damn good

10. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #785 vaquero28, Jul 17, 2015
    Yes they are are GOOD, and a pleasure to watch some great soccer some great goals but hey...don't get me wrong I love the women's game and in some ways they are a better team in that they understand each other very well but there are limits. I have coached women and they are more coachable and do not aver or pretend to be wiser than the coach. They listen and truly try to follow instructions and they work for each other. Men on the other hand have egos that always know that they know better.

11. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's autism. These guys can't ready social clues or expressions or understand language.

WrmBrnr and jaxonmills repped this.
  12. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which guys, I certainly cannot ready social clues, which expressions? but language? well it is a forte'

13. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Jesus christ. Did you even watch the video? They were screwing around, the reporter and Landon were laughing. Alex Morgan was laughing, Ali Krieger was laughing. They were having fun and you could tell by the tone of the interviews it was light hearted and not serious.

You guys (vaquero28 and bsky) have some serious issues, if you really take a serious line to the tone of the questions and answers.

And the Daily Mail is a paper on the same level of the Star, National Enquirer, etc. Stirring shit sells papers.

14. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    I hope to god you are joking and actually watched the video.

15. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlike some others in this thread (I think?), I am absolutely joking.

WrmBrnr repped this.
  16. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    I figured as much after a few minutes. Well played sir.

jaxonmills repped this.
  17. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DONOVON STILL SUX THO #LOL

chad and WrmBrnr repped this.
  18. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #793 vaquero28, Jul 17, 2015
    OH My God,,,, Ask your self,,,, why did it go that way<<<Serious Issues? In what way??? what is the problem with seeing the intent?? Laughing it OFF , If I call someone an SOB and say it with a smile and then laugh why would I say that if there is no intent to get a message across. I mean it but I can say Man I'm only kidding...... Give me a break Just because Donovan walks on water means he can consistently diss? , the team (a leader) Captain or JK and now the entire team, no finishers???? But hey he is smiling and laughing and having fun. At whose expense. There is more to it than we think..... at best a stupid joke and in bad taste and it abases an entire team. I've defended him as well (especially his walk about-but there is line.....I am past it!

19. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he didn't say that, now did he, crazy cowboy?

StillKickin, napper and WrmBrnr repped this.
  20. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    It's a shame you still haven't watched the video.

You should be past it. In fact, you should read the The World Weekly News and crusade on their behalf. The found Batboy! And a boneless baby! And aliens! I shit you not! Because that is the level of story you get from the Daily Mail.

21. jaxonmills

jaxonmills Member+

Aug 26, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GUYS you need to listen to vaquero28. Lan-DUNCE Donavon is a real Benadict Arnel TRADER. Let me repeat hes a TRADER to the national team!! YOU say he was being sarcastic? Really? Can you PROVE IT? NO YOU CAN'T!

Klingssman should win a NOBLE PRISE for leaving lan-DUNCe off the Wrold Cup roster. I rest my case.

22. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many times do you want me to watch it??? Until I get it. I see.... I shit You not ! Tend more to New Scientist, Smithsonian, Scientific American, Discovery, Car &Driver, Automobile and PM, PS about 5 books in a week, retired civil engineer so thanks for the reading advice..... Oh and I have never read the rags you mentioned nor gossip rags or movie admiration,star power mags.......the thing I am past, is HIS Deism.....

23. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way thanks for the spelling lesson, The "ready" was in honor of chad's post. Of course I can't prove it, can you prove that he means anything he said/says?? Can you prove anything Klinsmann says is not what he means... Great logic that!!
    Glad you are resting ! Your case that is! I did watch it again! listen to how the ladies scored goals again! Am not at all taking anything away from the ladies?? Having fun though, I am.

jaxonmills repped this.
  24. WrmBrnr

WrmBrnr Member+

Apr 12, 2001
    San Carlos
    Then why the hell are you relying on quotes from a gossip/spin rag? I can't make you "get" anything. I was relying on your cognitive ability, but apparently you are at the least criminally obtuse (and that is unfair to wide angles) or as dumb as a board (which is unfair to boards).

I am certainly not making or treating LD as a deity. I think I have laid out my position on LD in previous posts. I have even said I could entertain arguments as to why JK could justify not bringing Landon to WC2014.

What I hate is stupidity. And I'm sorry you are really reaching on this. Seek help.

25. vaquero28

vaquero28 Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredible, I certainly need help, in understanding your animosity and implying illness on my part. It is an opinion and if you don't agree so be it. It is how I interpret a veiled, overt and silly "interview. What strikes me as silly is your psychological analysis of a person who is a stranger to you...... Here is what I think, and note, I have not yet attacked you personally. Have not accused you of stupidity, mental illness, criminally obtuse, cognitively handicapped, dumb as a board, and downright stupid,, what I see is a person who yells louder to bully anyone who sees things differently than your narrow personal view and a loud-mouthed abuser. So to end my participation in this unfruitful discourse I'll simply say adieu and just block you. Thanks for the compliments. I'm smiling and as soon as I press BLOCK, I'll be laughing!!!!!!!