The Disappearance of CONCACAF Striker Talent

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Ghost, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Unfortunately, you could also say he was a USA-killer: scored a total of 5 goals against us on 3 occasions (all competitive matches), and 2 of those games were WCQs that Costa Rica won. He also scored against Mexico in the famous Aztecazo. Yes, Fonseca bagged quite a few against CONCACAF minnows, but he's also CR's all-time leading goalscorer, ahead of Wanchope, Medford, Ruiz, etc. That makes it hard for me to dismiss his international quality.

And I'm not questioning why a team like Bayern Munich never went in for him. I'm saying an MLS team, in a period going back about 15 years or so, would have done well to sign such a proven regional goalscorer. I think there's a good chance he could have been successful in a way other Central American players were in the league back then: Diaz Arce, Cienfuegos, etc. Hard to imagine he would have been that hard to prize away from the Guatemalan league either.

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    MLS reportedly went after him in 2007 and 2008.
    I think it was San Jose.....................................

The 2008 rumor:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/rumor-rolando-fonseca-to-san-jose.698641/

My comments weren't meant to diminish Fonseca. I'm simply making the argument that the current crop of forwards (for instance the comparable Ruiz) aren't inferior to that generation. We're looking back with rose-tinted glasses.................................

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I do hope that Larin becomes a good-to-great striker for Canada. At the very least scoring regularly against CONCACAF opponents, specifically against bigger sides.

4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davies made a better claim to that title than Larin did...

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.