The Defense

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Vindo310, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the Portland game it looks like we may have a new looking back line. Do we see how AJ partners with Lopes or do we stay with Meyer and Lopes?

I don't like the idea of putting AJ at RB and moving Franklin to RM. Our midfield is too good for Franklin to take a spot from someone.

2. Rudedeck

Rudedeck Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Section 107 Row A
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must admit that I shuddered at the thought of Lopes and Meyer going up against Boyd last night. Was VERY pleased with how they kept him quiet for most of the night. Meyer, in my opinion has had two solid starts and has cemented a starting CB job until Gonzilla is fit and good to go. If Lopes continues to impress, I believe we should move AJ to RB and use Franklin in midfield (spelling Magee).

Besides, our midfield hasn't been very consistent this year. Not even in our two victories. I lost count of how many "please God" through balls I saw that did nothing but turn the ball over. Our midfield in large is incapable of moving the ball through the midfield into the final third. In my opinion, Franklin looked good when he was in the midfield last year. I believe he scored two goals in one game last year while playing on the right side?

3. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I think no. Our defense is still a work in progress. I don't see Bruce changing the back four for anything but injury or implosion at this point.

If he was going to mix it up, personally I think he should consider giving AJ some minutes at LB until Dunivant gets back into mid-season form. Dunivant not a spring chicken anymore, and he's been an iron man in the past, but there's a good chance he won't play LB every minute of every game this year. But again, that's not what is going to happen. He's got his guys (new guys with Lopes) and he's going to give them a chance to solidify. There were still plenty of problems between Lopes, Meyer, and Dunivant last night with holding their backline together.

And expect to see Juninho, Beckham, Donovan, and even Magee continue to be a lot more committed to defense than ever before. Yes, Magee!

4. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Berks posted this line-up yesterday and I loved it for many reasons.

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Keane,Donovan,Magee,Beckham,Juninho,Franklin,Dunivant,Lopes,Meyer,AJ,Saunders[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

Donovan and Keane up top work together very well so we should keep that together. Franklin is much better going forward than he is defending so let's put him at RM where he can create opportunities. Magee will have Dunivant behind him so Magee will be able to attack more often instead of covering for Franklin. And finally our defense was pretty solid and I think after a little bit more time together, they can be a very good pairing.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! Not new though - other people have thought of it.

I posted it, but those flanks are awfully light now that I look at it. I don't know if Magee and Franklin give us the strength is keeping possession that we need.

After I posted that line-up I saw that LD had 65 completed passes and only 9 erroneous ones. In seeing that stat, he's VERY important to our midfield.

So to me the question is: do you move him out left where Robbie tends to drift? Based on last night, the answer might be yes. Stick with Barrett/Buddle up top. Then do you play Magee or Franklin on the right?

That takes LD from combining with David, but last night David did just fine with that. Mostly because Juninho in the second half actually started showing for some balls.

6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think Magee definitely can keep possession on the wing. Magee actually did that quite well against Portland. As for Franklin, that is where it gets iffy. Franklin will stretch the field which will benefit Beckham and Juninho because they will have more space but I do fear Franklin will turn the ball over too often. I think it's worth giving a try though.

I think we should stick Donovan right under Keane. Problem with Beckham and Juninho is that they tend to play far too deep and we end up relying on our wings too much which makes us predictable. I think by putting LD in the hole between Keane and the midfield, Donovan will be able to create and get more scoring chances.

Barrett is just terrible. The only reason he is in is because he doesn't make the same runs as Keane. Barrett doesn't help us out at all. I'd rather have Christman with Keane again, but LD+Keane is the ideal pairing.

7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if we can use the Portland game as an example for Magee because once Landon moved over, our attack was a journey up the left side only except for when Beckham fed crosses into the box and linked up with Sean for his two great shots.

I just don't know. We saw so little of it last year to judge.

LD can only create if the midfield can get him the ball - or he drops deeper and deeper and then sits on top of Becks and Juni - kinda ruining our shape.

Also, we still need the flanks - and having Magee and Sean on the outside may clump us in the center.

This is a long winded way of saying that we might switch to this depending on the team.

Colorado has speedy flanks - I don't think putting Landon on top will work for that. He needs to help negate Cummings.

This line-up could work against teams that struggle with possession - Montreal, Toronto, DC, etc - meaning Magee and Franklin could work well enough against them. But teams like RSL, SKC, Seattle, we are probably going to need Landon in the midfield.

But I'm open to it.

8. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah we found a hole on Portland's right side so it's all up in the air. I would stick with LD starting on the right. Magee and him can switch to try and exploit again.

I love AJ but I would like to see out Portland back line again. Keep AJ for games when we need to give Sean or Dunivant a rest. That might be the key to longevity.

I think AJ is a great starter with Omar but others might not now how to maximize his potential.

9. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

yes i agree AJ Delagarza should rest some games now , use him as a Depth Sub player for Sean or Todd or vice versa , LOPES and Meyes are a great combo and should be the new starting backline duo, until OG is back and can combine with Aj again but until then LOPES is looking like a CB with great potential

10. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it out of the question to use a CB by committe depending on who we are playing and what attacking style that team uses?

A team like Seattle I would want AJ in to harass Montero, but RSL has bigger forwards so a CB combo of Leonardo, Meyer or Lopes would fit better to handle crosses...

Personally I do not want Franklin playing RM because he cannot cross the ball very well. And while donovan looks like a great fit alongside Keane, I think he brings more to the table out wide where he can track back on the flanks and support the defense...

It seems to me he has a tendency to do that anyways and would hate to see him start at forward and get sucked into a defensive mindset because of his willingness to contribute in all aspects of the game...

11. Leonidas23

Leonidas23 Member

Jun 9, 2008
    So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to see AJ and Lopes together and see how that goes. Long season I dont think there is any reason to move him outside just yet.

12. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
  13. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
  14. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds to me like Keat is just a soccer player. That may hurt him in the long run, but I'm glad he is versatile enough to help us in a number of positions. I haven't seen this kid Gaul. Can anyone give us an update on how he has fared in reserve matches? I think we know Jordan and Boyens aren't long term solutions with the first team. I wish I lived closer so that I could make a few reserve matches.

15. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have a defense? Why isn't it playing in the matches?