Rumor: The Coming <soft> Rebrand

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Jasper_Black, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Jesus, you are more dramatic than a 15 year old girl.
    And as patient as a toddler.

Relax.

The only misstep is the branding.
    Everything else have been TBD or good.

I like the coaching moves.
    +Heitz
    +Wicky
    +Koplay

No player signings (yet), but I assume Heitz and Wicky are working on that. Gotta give them some time, let them do their job.

I don't like losing Gaitan, Katai, Niko or even Dax, but again, that is TBD depending on how the roster shapes up.

And honestly, I prefer 3-4 good players over a Chicharito-type signing.
    This Something-ic from St Etienne is underwhelming because he is unknown (to most of us) and from a non-top tier team, but so was Niko.

I want a winning team that plays good football, I don't want to watch aging world stars on bottom-dwelling teams (like unfortunately Basti and I had to endure)

TyrusRose, GHjelm and CMeszt repped this.
  2. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    1. It's 2020. Digital tickets are just how things are done now. Every event I've attended at Soldier Field the last two years has had them.

2. They announced that every STH got an extra set of tickets for the opener back when you bought them. You just weren't paying attention.

TyrusRose repped this.
  3. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    I’m not worried at all. I even expect they’ll try and fix the rebrand AND Nelson will continue to fade away.

TyrusRose and GHjelm repped this.
  4. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    Maybe that's why I'm not so outraged by the logo. I too fully expect this to get fixed in the near future. Maybe not next week like most here are expecting though.

5. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yesterday I saw someone wearing a hat with the new logo as well as a scarf. Which, if I'm being honest, is more times than I've seen anyone wearing the something with the old logo since last year.

The scarf didn't look that bad...

6. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    I like the scarf and the color combinations are nice. The crest itself is trash. The colors also just aren't "Chicago". Navy and red work, the yellow doesn't. Change the yellow to sky blue and have a better center design and you could have something there.

CMeszt repped this.
  7. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Maybe it’s my spirit being broken, but I don’t think the logo is particularly good or bad at this point (it’s just boring but not particularly offensive). The real problem is that they kept the name AND gave us this new logo.

I’m still convinced that if they had just said, “We’re Chicago FC now” and presented the same logo people would have reacted with less vitriol. Many would have said it was uninspiring, boring, poseurish, etc. but some would have at least been able to rationalize it saying that this step symbolically represented a change in course under Mansueto away from a decade of f***ing up under hauptman.

Keeping the name and continuing to do stupid things (attaching this generic badge to the name Fire) made everyone go “Same old Fire front office, can’t do anything right. F*** these guys!”

My prediction was right. Half measures please no one.

harrylee773 repped this.
  8. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I would have been far more pissed if they completely changed the name. The dumb logo change is easy enough to adjust. Even the inherently ridiculous “FC” could theoretically get fixed. A complete identity change would be much harder to reverse.

The new name is stupid. The new logo is completely detached. a complete rebrand would have been a complete disaster though.

aetraxx7, Mac97, TyrusRose and 1 other person repped this.
  9. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    I actually disagree. by keeping the name, you can kind of, sort of make the argument that the crown in the middle is a flame and the red and yellow are colors you'd see during a fire, (which is what they did) but if you just called the club Chicago fc, then what we have doesn't represent anything.

CMeszt repped this.
  10. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t think a complete rebrand would’ve been a disaster - to me it was the only way to rebrand at all. The brand itself is just, it’s never been great for a soccer team but at least it had the right iconography associated to it. It’s been a confusing brand for the mainstream Chicagoan to grasp tho and the old look added to that confusion (oh you’re a fireman- thank you for what you do! Huh- it’s a soccer team? Is it associated with the fire department? Oh, it’s named after a tragedy? How the city rebuilt from a tragedy? Why does it have a fireman logo then? Etc.) even if it made since after some explanation (which was exhausting). Sure, you would’ve been pissed, and maybe a couple hundred other people, but in the grand scheme of things, that ain’t much.

At this point, going back to that, especially if the move to SF is a flop, probably wouldn’t make the brand more relevant. I think it’s more likely “Fire” gets dropped as part of any re-rebrand than they go back to the old look, but I guess Mansueto’s already botched one rebrand so I wouldn’t be surprised if he went back to the old look entirely ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sometimes change is good, even if a group of people don’t like it. The problem with this rebrand is nobody seems to like it, which is usually what happens when you try to please everybody.

aetraxx7 and wolvesfirehope repped this.
  11. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    and agreed. I do actually like how all the scarves look. (other items, shirts, etc, not so much.) they are very good on their own, but that logo ruins it. I actually don't even care about the yellow color all that much. for example, if they just revamped the old logo with this same blue, red, and yellow color scheme, i'd snatch a scarf in a second.

they look good, just not on us.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By ditching the name, the little flame thing represents the club’s history. It’s a little nod to the past that doesn’t need to be explained - just a little Easter egg for the people that know. As it stands they have Fire in the name and are trying to explain the flame as the city rebuilding from the fire or whatever and it’s kind of cringey.

moleman repped this.
  13. wolvesfirehope

United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    incidentally, as long as I am writing things, I know we all saw the leak of our potential new kits. I saw something (here?) that said that our secondary kit might be an ivory top with sky blue stripes (which is what the leak looks like) and sky blue shorts.

if this was the case and the primary is an all navy number, am I crazy for thinking that the ivory and blue kit would actually be MUCH better as the primary and would be a lot more representative of the city? (ivory for the watertower, Wrigley building, etc and sky blue for the flag?) it would be a unique look.

aetraxx7 and harrylee773 repped this.
  14. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    There is no reversing. If you like the name Fire be happy with what you have here. They’re likely not going to change it back to please a bunch of old timers from 98.

More likely is that they Chivas USA this team if this new iteration doesn’t take and relaunch as “Chicago FC, Chicago City, etc.” to keep chasing soccer fans in their 20s who grew up watching the EPL.

lethargytartare and harrylee773 repped this.
  15. wolvesfirehope

United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    right, I am just saying, if you have that flame iconography in there anyway- especially when it is as obscure as what was put there- it makes more sense to keep the fire name. in my opinion.

16. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    This is a complete red herring but we’re basically beyond it now.

What flame thing? The crown?

xtomx repped this.
  17. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    It’s not just the new brand in a vacuum, it exists in a context of what’s happening in the rest of the organization.

Releasing any change with quotes from Nelson Rodriguez, an empty roster, and having dawdled in firing Pauno and with no technical staff, the message was clear as a foghorn: “this is a coat of whitewash for our new fans. No mistakes have been made, screw you existing customer base, go away”

18. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not a red herring at all and never has been, but yeah, we’re beyond it in that we’ll still have to explain the name and logo but just separately now and the logo has no connection to the name that isn’t super strained and dumb.

Yeah, the stupid flame crown thing. It’s dumb, but with the name staying “Fire” it’s dumber and redundant.

19. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017
    Please explain.

You can both like the old badge and still admit that it was confusing for the average non-soccer fan.

wolvesfirehope, harrylee773 and GHjelm repped this.
  20. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Speaking of scarves and hats, anyone get/have any info on sth gifts?

xtomx repped this.
  21. moleman

moleman Member

Jan 7, 2017

I personally haven’t received anything yet.

GHjelm and xtomx repped this.
  22. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I still think the new logo is shit no matter what you can do to try to make it look better.

aetraxx7 and xtomx repped this.
  23. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    100% this.

Logo's can and will be changed in a clubs history. You don't change the name, then reverse that decision again.

CMeszt repped this.
  24. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I'm not sure why we're talking about non-soccer fans, that's not our target audience. Somehow soccer fans could find Bridgeview and sell out Toyota Park when we had Blanco and a winning product. Our jerseys were amongst the best selling in the league.

The brand and logo was never a problem, so claiming it was is the red herring.

Pennsylvania Dave, aetraxx7 and bunge repped this.
  25. lethargytartare

lethargytartare Member+

Oct 2, 2000
    Magrathea, Horsehead Nebula
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    the confusion was minimal, and the association with the Chicago Fire Dept. was both intentional and positive.

Our mascot was a fvcking dalmatian, not Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

also, logos and team branding are, imo, way overblown as actual marketing tools. Nobody who's not a fan actually cares about the logo or team colors, that only comes after you become a fan. Nobody is going to see this logo, or any logo, and go "oooh, now I'm not confused about whether this is an ad for the Fire Dept, or a soccer team. Think I'll buy some gear and season tickets!"

aetraxx7, xtomx and bunge repped this.