Alert: The campaign for Jermaine Jones!

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Nic D in BIG D!, Jun 5, 2009.

1. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    1. Timing doesn't work out as the Euro season is just getting started.

2. The August match is a one and done event (like the Feb match). Players get in on Sunday/Monday, practice Monday, light practice at Azteca on Tuesday, Match on Wednesday, back to Euro clubs on Thursday. No camp.

2. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I believe I read on the Fifa website that the rule change won't take effect until August 2 which means the first match he would be eligible for would be the August 12 WCQ in Mexico.

3. As others have pointed out, if Jones wants to play for the US, he would immediately be one of the best... actually the best player in our pool and there is probably 0 chance the he will not be on the roster for the WC.

All loyalties aside, Bob's job is to take the team as far as he can in the World Cup. It would be the most insane dereliction of his duty to leave a player like Jones off the team in SA, or any future game that has any meaning.

The only thing that I would worry about is how his motivation will be after making a few of those cross-atlantic flights with a 3 day turnaround to play on the turf at Saprissa or the 6-inch high grass in the dark in Guat.

Maybe some of the German posters could comment on his general attitude and how he may fit in with our current squad.

On another note, we could do worse than having some of our midfielders learning from somebody like Jones (especially Bradley).

4. snike

snike New Member

May 3, 2006
    Atlanta
    Comments on Jones:

Playing Style - His skills level is average. He does have a very good work rate. He plays very aggressively, doesn't give up, and doesn't back down. Because of that he does have a tendency to foul, pick up cards, and piss off the other team/fans. He can definitely help the US to tighten up the midfield. But he won't provide what I believe the US really needs, a creative center mid.

Off the field - He's not very well liked in Germany. People have a bad impression of him because he acts like a wannabe thug. Though it's a german version of it, so it won't be nearly as bad as some of the pros in American sports. I'm not sure how this will affect him being accepted in the US team. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he'll be humble and won't cause too much trouble since he'll be a little bit of an outsider.

5. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I don't agree with the "wannabe thug" comment.
    I never had that impression of him.

He seems pretty laid-back in his private life and lives with his wife, two kids and four dogs in a village.

Yeah, he has tattoos but to me that not "wannabe thugh", KP Boateng is and Dejagah but not Jones.

I remember when he signed with Schalke he actually signed into the offical message board and tried to explain his decision to the Frankfurt faithfull. Of course it turned into utter chaos. One of the greatest things the internet provided so far. :D
    Unfortunately that thread was deleted later I think but some of the German posters on here probably remember that.

Yes, he's not the most technical gifted player and his passing ability is average but he's still not bad, he had quite a few goals and assists this season.
    His main strength are his will, power and tackling ability.

6. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    He IS American after all!

7. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    You forgot to say he is 'athletic' and has 'strong conditioning.'

8. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    He does score from time to time
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqWtFAvIIII"]YouTube - jermaine jones Goal against cologne 6 - 3 - 09[/ame]

and

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgpCyypg8jQ"]YouTube - J. Jones - Wie ein Düsenjet...[/ame]

:D

9. mcadaal

mcadaal Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach, VA
  10. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    This is great news. Everyone on BigSoccer needs to go on his website and congratulate him on joining the USA!!

11. Schalkoholic

Schalkoholic Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Siegen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Good description he def not a creative center mid, but I do not want to miss him in the Schalke squad he def the best midfielder we have.

He not very well liked ??? Its always a point of view thing
    ask the Schalke Supporters.

12. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first things first....OH MY GOD YES!!!!!!! BRADLEY AND JONES=QUALITY AND OUT OF GROUP STAGE AT WORLD CUP AND BIG BOB AND SUNIL GOT TO HIM!!!!!

secondly, Ives said the rule won't take effect till october? THat makes no sense at all. It clearly says on FIFA's page that all rulings by congress have a 60 day grace period. Ergo, August 2nd.

13. mcadaal

mcadaal Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach, VA
    DO IT NOW!!! :)

Welcome him to our team!

14. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can we get a good German translation of "Jermaine, thank you for playing for USA. Congradulations"

15. mcadaal

mcadaal Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Jermaine, danke für das Spielen für USA. Glückwünsche.

16. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    searcing on the fifa website..

Super Neuer puts Schalke in last eight
    ... Ill-tempered Schalke midfielder Jermaine Jones will miss the first leg of his side's quarter-final having picked up a yellow card from English referee Howard ...
    Section: World Football (search this section only)

Sunday 14 December 2008
    Winter break lead for Hoffenheim
    ... Tempers boiled over as Schalke had midfielder Jermaine Jones and Orlando Engelaar sent off in the second- half. Germany midfielder ...

... Schalke were lucky to keep Jermaine Jones on the pitch when he hit Bayern captain Mark van Bommel in the face on 38 minutes and the Germany midfielder was ...

Chelsea brush aside Schalke
    ... Chelsea were able to stay in cruise control for long periods, with one prolonged spell of keep-ball frustrated Jermaine Jones so much that the Schalke ...

well, on the road in concacaf, temper turns to red prettyy quickly..

17. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he's an American. :)
    Still, crazy web site!

18. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Get to the guestbook people. He needs our support. First page on the thread has the link.

19. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey

OK.

Now how do you chant "USA, USA, USA" over and over endlessly in German?

20. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    I want the credit. Until some lame soccer journo read this thread and thought "oh yeah, that IS my job" it never crossed their sheep-minds.
    :D

Neither here nor there, but..."I think it moved."

21. BoondockTodd

BoondockTodd Member

May 29, 2009
    Belmont, NC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just sat there and laughed for a few seconds when i saw that, especially with Jones comment about gays in football. Landycakes is pretty FABULOUS!

22. Diegan

Diegan Member+

San Diego FC
    United States
    Sep 18, 2008
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as he doesn't accidentally shoot his leg in a nightclub after his gun slips from his sweatpants, run an illegal dog-fighting ring, rent boats and have girls file sexual harassment claims after the party, get arrested for murder, or various other things he will be fine. Yes, all those happened with prominent American athletes.

23. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like congratualtions are in order...good job!

If only Kaka was US eligible... :)

24. supershark

supershark New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    From Ohio, now Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ooooh, essss, ahhhhh! ooooh, essss, ahhhh!

phonetically pronounced...haha

25. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like you're having a good Friday evening ;)